2022 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, July 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, July 22 - 24

wogx wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 11:26
*tinfoil hat mode on*

Does it really look like Leclerc's mistake, not an actuator problem? Would he really press that pedal so hard in a corner, leaving those rubber marks?https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... 728giH.jpg

*tinfoil hat mode off*
Looking at that picture, the marks you assume are from his car continue on to become proper skid marks once off the track, I don't that is his rubber.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

NL_Fer wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 20:58
RZS10 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 20:40
https://i.imgur.com/zA4f2B8.png
This is the problem. He needed the whole width of the track to make the corner and although he was significantly alongside, he wasn’t the leading driver, so he wasn’t entitled to take all this space and push Checo off. He was lucky he didn’t get a penalty.
Yes, he is required to leave the white line for PER to be able to stay on track, but before that PER crowded him at the apex and pushed him towards the launch ramp placed by the race director. These sausage kerbs must be removed. If people cut the corners then properly penalize them, but placing highly dangerous launch ramps is not the answer.

SiLo

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 14:29
NL_Fer wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 20:58
RZS10 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 20:40
https://i.imgur.com/zA4f2B8.png
This is the problem. He needed the whole width of the track to make the corner and although he was significantly alongside, he wasn’t the leading driver, so he wasn’t entitled to take all this space and push Checo off. He was lucky he didn’t get a penalty.
Yes, he is required to leave the white line for PER to be able to stay on track, but before that PER crowded him at the apex and pushed him towards the launch ramp placed by the race director. These sausage kerbs must be removed. If people cut the corners then properly penalize them, but placing highly dangerous launch ramps is not the answer.
Quite a few incidents recently appear to have started because of someone squeezing another car to the inside of a corner. I'd bet Perez wouldn't have made the corner either with the speed he took in and the very shallow angle he came in at.

I'm starting to think that Red Bull drivers have very specific coaching around these types of battles because they are fairly consistent in what they appear to do, and clearly get away with a lot (at least previously).
Felipe Baby!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Average race pace for the French GP

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 13:52
Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:40
Big Tea wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 22:40
What I have noticed this year is that TV shows hardly races not in the top 6 or so.
There seems to be lots of good racing down the field, or even cars making their way back up, but we see very little of it, and so much of what we see is in too tight a shot.
Directing is tough. Very. We see a demo of that every year at Monaco, with that own crew. And that is even a super easy race to televise. Nothing ever happens. But yes, we need to see all the action, or most of it, even after the fact, organize it and then show it when ready, at an opportune moment. Even in FP, constantly showing guys coming of a hotlap, or on a outlap, while someone else has their one first hotlap on reds. It feel it was better last year. Have changes been made to the crew?

Maybe Sky ( or a youtube channel) could cover 'off spotlight' moments from the race covering highlights and maybe some unseen pit or marshal action. They could take this opportunity to add stewarding decisions (reasons) either by direct interview or just a quick mail from them ( if they could be tied down :twisted: )

Sort of a 'Ted's bits' but from the race (preferably with a driver rather than Ted though)

Not going to happen though, is it.
No, too much trouble, too costly. But that is a great idea. I would watch it.

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 13:56
wogx wrote:
*tinfoil hat mode on*

Does it really look like Leclerc's mistake, not an actuator problem? Would he really press that pedal so hard in a corner, leaving those rubber marks?https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... 728giH.jpg

*tinfoil hat mode off*
Looking at that picture, the marks you assume are from his car continue on to become proper skid marks once off the track, I don't that is his rubber.
That as his rubber, I spotted it in the rerun. He also had all yellow minisectors that lap and then suddenly a purple here. He was going in so hot he was already leaving a skid mark before the rear gave out. Max also took a shorter line through this corner all race long. This was just too close to the limit. Was it supposed to be his inlap? Was Ferrari already out with the tires? Or box box box already given? Anyone knows?

SiLo

Spoutnik wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 15:30

I think Merc know that they can't beat RB and Ferrari in qualifying, so they just go all in on race pace knowing they will overtake on Sunday.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Spoutnik wrote:

That twitter person needs to understand that it is possible to have a car that is quicker in a race than it is in qualifying.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 15:40
Big Tea wrote:
wogx wrote:
*tinfoil hat mode on*

*tinfoil hat mode off*
That as his rubber, I spotted it in the rerun. He also had all yellow minisectors that lap and then suddenly a purple here. He was going in so hot he was already leaving a skid mark before the rear gave out. Max also took a shorter line through this corner all race long. This was just too close to the limit. Was it supposed to be his inlap? Was Ferrari already out with the tires? Or box box box already given? Anyone knows?
Perhaps also these tyres were just leaving a lot of marks anyway - as Max took the last corner of the race he left a very definite pair of tyre marks as the rear was only just holding on with the throttle coming open. Perhaps it was intentional but I don't think Max would have been trying to slide and he had a big enough gap behind not to worry about needing to be quick off the last corner. So perhaps the tyres were just leaving a lot of marks.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:37
Sieper wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Perhaps also these tyres were just leaving a lot of marks anyway - as Max took the last corner of the race he left a very definite pair of tyre marks as the rear was only just holding on with the throttle coming open. Perhaps it was intentional but I don't think Max would have been trying to slide and he had a big enough gap behind not to worry about needing to be quick off the last corner. So perhaps the tyres were just leaving a lot of marks.
That is what they call "leaving your signature" pulling a powerslide on the last corner, he did it in a few other races as well. Notably his first win in Monaco which totally freaked me out. Thats exuberant Max, not needed imho but OK.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:37
Sieper wrote:

That is what they call "leaving your signature" pulling a powerslide on the last corner, he did it in a few other races as well. Notably his first win in Monaco which totally freaked me out. Thats exuberant Max, not needed imho but OK.
Ah, fair enough. I'd have thought that he'd want to be safely over the line before doing that, but he's a young man and I'm not. :lol:

dialtone
dialtone

yamahasho
yamahasho

SiLo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 16:57
Spoutnik wrote:

I think Merc know that they can't beat RB and Ferrari in qualifying, so they just go all in on race pace knowing they will overtake on Sunday.
Agreed, Lewis must be in lala land thinking somehow salvage this year. They should give up on the 2022 car and just bring upgrade bits for the 2023 car for Russell or Lewis, then switch for the next race, that is if the rules permit this. Too many ego driven people at Mercedes.

FIA also needs to look at the sport, it’s dull, 2 overtakes in the GP and the rest was predictable.

Shorten the wheelbase so more than one car can fit on a turn. Bring back the tire wars. Pepsi vs. Coke, Hd vs. Lowes, Ups vs. FedEx, every aspect has two, I wouldn’t mind seeing Perrelli vs. Michelin.

Just thinking out loud.

I would like to see other ideas on how the sport can be better.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

yamahasho
yamahasho

Bill wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 13:17
these championship is all but over. ferrari doesn't have the pu or the drivers to sustain a season long world champion, if not pu reliability it is driver or team doing some cork up. Mercedes are too slow on straight to play any significant role in the champ.Fia made a mistake by adopting bio fuels , Honda and Renault understood challenge and started project ealier.Merc would have to break rule to found more power, Ferrari would wait long to fix reliability issues so no one to take the challenge to Rbr.Honda and Rbr didn't want the move to more bio fuel because they felt it undermined cost reduction, others failed to back them up maybe they saw potential for more domination in the future for themself.ferrari should have kept vettel at least he has proven that he can win championship given fast car something f1 fans never appreciated ,they think its easy to win champ if you have quick car.
Agreed, FIA board should resign. F1 needs a total reset.
Last edited by yamahasho on 25 Jul 2022, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

aleks_ader

Wow what a bunch almost toxic knee jerk reaction in this thread.

1. ALL teams work hard as possible and JUST for them self.
2. All drivers made mistakes
3. All people under external pressure make mistakes
4. Hindsight is beautiful thing.
5. Sport don't need knee jerk reaction and half assed decisions/assumptions. This Year was one of first where science and data approach guided the ruleset. Too mine mind it worked like charm. Midfield battles are bonkers and close.
6.Overtake =/= as been followed close. I preferer close battle and that doesn't necessarily mean to be overtaken.
7. Adjust safety parameters ONLY. if necessarily via sensors or expanded crash tests. And rest of it just leave to the organic evolution and getting pack closer together naturally.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna