Red Bull should drop Sergio for Alonso

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: Red Bull should drop Sergio for Alonso

Schumalonso wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 16:45
wesley123 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 16:42
Or, and just hear me out cause this might sound really crazy, they could actually consider their other driver every once in a while instead of it all being Max(and previously Vettel)
Meh - Sergio was garbage all weekend. I’m mean seriously, if he couldn’t even pass the slower Mercedes in a Red Bull given the pace deficit,is almost alarming.
And this has been the case for literally every other Red Bull driver, who magically seems to lose their ability when they step into the second seat. This makes me think that Red Bull is the issue here, not the driver.

Silent Storm wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 17:06
So on one hand people criticize Ferrari for not prioritizing Leclerc (faster driver) as it makes race strategy and team orders complex, but want Redbull to consider Perez, their slower driver who is happy with the balance of his car yet is slower than the driver who has to adapt and drive around understeer since the first race and is faster still.

Redbull has always prioritized the faster driver within the team. First Seb then Daniel then Max. If someone else joins the team and beats Max then he will be their No1 driver.
Thing that is the issue here is that Max wasn't actually beating Perez until after the Monaco GP. Perez was actually quite matching the pace and for example Monaco he simply was the faster of the two, leaving the gap relatively small on points.

And suddenly after Max' dad complains about how things don't suit Max Sergio suddenly drops a huge amount of pace. It doesn't take much to put two and two together here.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Schumalonso

Does anyone think Alonso would challenge max for wins over the season? I rate Alonso as highly as Hamilton probably higher when in his prime, but I don’t know if he is still in his prime. Not to mention he would help develop the car and his consistency would be a benefit. Sergio has SERIOUS consistency issues, seems to always start on the back foot. I think it would be a blast to watch ALO vs VER, and might push max that little bit further. And let’s be honest, Alonso needs to be in a faster car for his sake and for the fans.

chrisc90

^^^ nonsense that IMHO.

If RB took the steps you did, they would still want both cars to be in the best positions they can be. Perez would have been P2 today behind max and took maximum points for the team. But instead you think that because Jos has mentioned some things Perez should drive in P4 and be well off the pace to max.
Ludicrous

Schumalonso

wesley123 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 21:34
Schumalonso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Or, and just hear me out cause this might sound really crazy, they could actually consider their other driver every once in a while instead of it all being Max(and previously Vettel)
Meh - Sergio was garbage all weekend. I’m mean seriously, if he couldn’t even pass the slower Mercedes in a Red Bull given the pace deficit,is almost alarming.
And this has been the case for literally every other Red Bull driver, who magically seems to lose their ability when they step into the second seat. This makes me think that Red Bull is the issue here, not the driver.

Silent Storm wrote:
So on one hand people criticize Ferrari for not prioritizing Leclerc (faster driver) as it makes race strategy and team orders complex, but want Redbull to consider Perez, their slower driver who is happy with the balance of his car yet is slower than the driver who has to adapt and drive around understeer since the first race and is faster still.

Redbull has always prioritized the faster driver within the team. First Seb then Daniel then Max. If someone else joins the team and beats Max then he will be their No1 driver.
Thing that is the issue here is that Max wasn't actually beating Perez until after the Monaco GP. Perez was actually quite matching the pace and for example Monaco he simply was the faster of the two, leaving the gap relatively small on points.

And suddenly after Max' dad complains about how things don't suit Max Sergio suddenly drops a huge amount of pace. It doesn't take much to put two and two together here.
I think that is a bit circumstantial, Sergio has always been fast on street circuits. And the bit about his dad, I really don’t buy that. Look at his gap to max all year last year. Usually 2 - 4 tenths down. It tightened up a little bit this year but overall he is still slower than max. I don’t think max has had a teammate really close to him, Carlos was probably his best but they were so green in their careers when together. I really think Alonso would be the best fit. Red Bull wouldn’t have to worry about another driver trying to prove themselves in formula one, or have concern about their career with Alonso.

Big Tea

Guys, remember Red bull is (probably) the only team that want a cult figure for a driver what ever the outcome.
The other teams want the most points for the constructors championship.

A star, especially a star that is talked about and splashed all over the media is exactly what they want. They want the Red Bull name and logo to be the most household name ever and they do not care about constructors points.

Now I am not saying they get more coverage of a Red Bull car when it is racing others for position that the 'Star car' is out in front safely gathering championship points, but they are not that concerned about it either.

Other teams second driver has the job of getting as many points as possible, Red Bull second driver is there to support the lead and get his car and overall on the screen.

No foil hat stuff, just remember they have a different agenda to others. Whatever though, I can not believe they would sabotage their own car as that would mean it would not be available to 'tail gun' for the lead, but I am reasonably sure they would use it to gather information at the cost of a few points.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Schumalonso

Big Tea wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 21:48
Guys, remember Red bull is (probably) the only team that want a cult figure for a driver what ever the outcome.
The other teams want the most points for the constructors championship.

A star, especially a star that is talked about and splashed all over the media is exactly what they want. They want the Red Bull name and logo to be the most household name ever and they do not care about constructors points.

Now I am not saying they get more coverage of a Red Bull car when it is racing others for position that the 'Star car' is out in front safely gathering championship points, but they are not that concerned about it either.

Other teams second driver has the job of getting as many points as possible, Red Bull second driver is there to support the lead and get his car and overall on the screen.

No foil hat stuff, just remember they have a different agenda to others. Whatever though, I can not believe they would sabotage their own car as that would mean it would not be available to 'tail gun' for the lead, but I am reasonably sure they would use it to gather information at the cost of a few points.

Every professional team will run with a number 1 and 2 driver. It simply doesn’t work when two teammates take wins off each other. There is no room for altruism in formula one, and even though a team’s media might try to portray that, I wouldn’t buy it so fast, especially for a top team.

Silent Storm

wesley123 wrote:
Schumalonso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Silent Storm wrote:

You mean similar to what’s happening at Ferrari? Sainz who was quick to adapt last year suddenly forgot how to adapt now that the car is fast?

If Sebastian was their golden boy why did Daniel beat him? How can Redbull allow Daniel to get in that car and beat the guy who won redbull 4 world championships?

Where was Perez in Bahrain? SA? Imola? Miami? I remember max was matching charles pace wise and fighting for the win. Where was Perez hiding all this pace? Perez is closer to Max because the car understeers (Perez likes it) and yet Max is faster when it doesn’t suit him.
As always what we say here is assumption at best. IMO Redbull is smart to focus on Max. That’s the winning strategy. Next years car should be developed around Max and not to help both drivers feel comfortable at the limit.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Big Tea

Just a passing thought as I know there are some real data addicts here who would know, but- How is Checo's performance in relation to his early season performance without comparing it to Max?

If they were both (or neither) happy with the car early season, but Checo was getting a higher % (of his maximum performance) out of it than Max (of his), and the changes were more to Max liking, it could be either Max getting better or Checo getting worse. Is there any way to compare without using each other as a yardstick? Has Checo gone backwards, stayed the same, or just not improved as much as Max?

Maybe he is at his highest level and can not improve but Max has
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tvetovnato

Perez has never been and never will be an elite driver anyway, so I don’t really see the problem for RB. He is a Massa type of driver, flashes of great speed when everything is just the way he wants it to, but other than that pretty lack lustre. But he is very experienced and can bring home good points, so he is perfect for RB in terms of where they are now with Max and the pace of the car in general.

Bringing in Alonso would be total destruction. He would be close to Max, which would make his worst side come out when he realises he is close to winning, but cannot due to the other driver being slightly faster. His ego cannot handle that.

So, Sergio is just what RB wants and needs right now and as long as he keeps doing what he is currently doing.

Sieper

Red Bull should not drop Sergio. They should trade him. With Mercedes. For Hamilton.

epo
epo

Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 00:59
Red Bull should not drop Sergio. They should trade him. With Mercedes. For Hamilton.
Why trade Perez for a slower driver? Hamilton should retire, not fast enough and back issues.
Perez is fine, good and bad days.

Redragon

Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 00:59
Keep dreaming, it is not gonna happen while Verstapen is on the team and delivering the points

Hamilton had the chance to change but he bet for Mercedes. How the top teams are i feel is going to finish his career at Mercedes. The only movement or change i see is if Ferrari didn’t renew any of the actual drivers. In 2 or 3 years time.

RZS10

They should hire me tbh

Sieper

😁 I’d fancy a chance, I once beat that guy you know, at the local karting venue.

organic

wesley123 wrote:
Schumalonso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Silent Storm wrote:

Saudi Arabia was the only race where Perez was on the pace of max but even that went up in smoke at the end of the GP when max and Charles were in a league of their own. Same with Bahrain where Checo was nowhere near max. Imola he was close enough to be ahead of Charles but still a pretty large gap to max.

Monaco Perez ruined his own qualifying by crashing which gifted him a starting position ahead of max which meant RB put Perez on the better strategy. Later in the race Perez destroyed his front tyres and almost got overtaken by Sainz on track at Monaco, no easy feat.

Don't see the narrative you're pushing as at all accurate tbh