Sebastian Vettel - interview

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RZS10

Re: Sebastian Vettel - interview

I have a thought that i should probably try to put in a short question ...

Road cars as it stands with planned laws and regulations are going to be replaced by electric cars in the long run.
F1 has often claimed to be leading when it comes to tech, but realistically not much of the current PU tech has made it into road cars, the only ones that come to mind are some high priced models by Mercedes where they rather used it for marketing, no idea whether anyone actually went out to buy a mass produced hybrid because F1 has the ERS system.
The plans for the engines from 2026 onwards are to drop the MGU-H but to increase the Power from the K.
The carbon footprint of the cars driving around in 20 odd races a year is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things, even compared to freight and fan movement.
Seb recently drove an old car on e fuel, so he knows it works.
The old cars undeniably sound better than the current ones, Formula-E doesn't sound like anything.

I guess the question would be whether F1 should continue to get more electrified, following the trend in road cars, or shouldn't F1 potentially even go back to ICE only, to be the polar opposite especially once people won't be able to buy and drive cars with combustion engines - giving the sport a bit of a special status.

Something like that ... i guess one could put that in a more eloquent question.

BalazsSzaboF1

Thanks for all the replies, you can still add some more. I will go through them and compile a list of questions. Hopfefully, I can discuss many of them with Seb.

Mandrake

Is "Inspector Seb" helpful to the team? Can he actually spot things and tell teh engineers about it? Does he understand the functionalities of what something on the car actually does or is it more his personal interest and fascination what the other teams are doing on their car development?

Given his outspokenness about things that are not right about F1 (rules and regulation, environmental footprint, etc.) would he consider an active role within the F1 org once he's no longer interested in driving an F1 car, whenever that might be.

Undead_Mud

Related to the previous "Inspector Seb" question:
Could he see himself going more in this direction e.g. study engineering after he retires since he seems to have a genuine interest in the technical side of the sport. Same could be asked regarding his interest in protecting the environment etc. and related education.
And he certainly doesn't need a job to pay the pills, so he can do whatever he fancies.
Nice of you to ask for our input/questions here!

McL-H

Does he still has his classic Volkswagen Van ? And what does he think of the development of old classic cars, like the VW Van, being turned into electric ones?

chrisc90

With your retirement, whatโ€™s been the highs and lows of your F1 career?

TNTHead

How do you look back on your time at RB and FER?

PlatinumZealot

So the original poster knew... He knew...
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Big Tea

I would like to know if he is considering the triple crown, or even grand slam as he has a F1 championship and a Monaco win, 24 hrs and indy?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Schuttelberg

Questions?

Just a big thank you for being the greatest ambassador as a human being!

The sport will never be the same for me personally but as his fan, we must move on. Wish him the best life!

P.S- I never expect Seb to do a book or ever mention in public, but I'd dearly love to know how much Binotto plotted to have him out.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Sieper

Do you feel you got the most out of it? Racing wise or otherwise.

Dernie Ecclestone

BalazsSzaboF1 wrote: โ†‘
25 Jul 2022, 15:25
...and the role of motorsport in terms of promoting diversity...
Follow it up with:

"And where should it be promoted specifically? Strictly in Western nations? Or also Singapore perhaps? Japan? Iran? Israel? The last uncontacted tribes within the Amazon? The Kawahiva are dangerously monocultural from what I've seen... We civilized intellectuals ought to help change that of course. We could teach them to welcome and respect and integrate outsiders. A mission, you might call it. Diversity is strength, after all."

Seb's responses to these would be interesting if not entertaining.
hollus wrote: โ†‘
25 Jul 2022, 20:36
Would he still be driving in F1 in 2030 if F1 continued to run on fuel?
Arriving to world venues strictly via non-existent solid state electric cargo planes/ships/trans-oceanic rail may be a bit limiting. Perhaps it could be converted into a sim racing series. Would certainly minimize F1's carbon footprints which they tweet concerns about from 35k feet in the air. As such:

Would Seb still be driving in F1 in 2030 if it were a sim racing series?

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote: โ†‘
28 Jul 2022, 15:32
Questions?

Just a big thank you for being the greatest ambassador as a human being!

The sport will never be the same for me personally but as his fan, we must move on. Wish him the best life!

P.S- I never expect Seb to do a book or ever mention in public, but I'd dearly love to know how much Binotto plotted to have him out.
How are you taking this news?
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

KeiKo403

Firstly. Thanks for playing the villain role so well against Hamilton in your Red Bull and Ferrari days.

Thank you for speaking up in what you believe in and encouraging others to do the same.

Thanks for all youโ€™ve done for this sport. Youโ€™ll be missed by many fans.

Question time. Will you take me for a lap around Silverstone?

johnny comelately

The answers,
As much as this is a supposedly technical forum, it is humanity that creates it and it is impossible to separate the two completely.
This insightful announcement speech is very well done.