2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spacepace

Re: 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

dialtone wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 02:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 00:58
dialtone wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:41

Question of balance, Mercedes typically has to sacrifice something, plus they aren't that fast in slow corners, see Monaco.
Car today is not the car from Monaco.

Hardly F1 101, is it...
When it lost 0.6s in S3 in France it didn't seem that different.
Monaco was an extremely compromised ride height though wasn't it?

Even still I think the W13 will again be lacking this weekend. You need a car that likes riding kerbs at the Hungaroring and we have seen how poor it is at that

dialtone
dialtone

Spacepace wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 04:03
dialtone wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Hardly F1 101, is it...
Monaco was an extremely compromised ride height though wasn't it?

Even still I think the W13 will again be lacking this weekend. You need a car that likes riding kerbs at the Hungaroring and we have seen how poor it is at that
My point is less that the W13 is a good or bad car in general and more that they perform better in tracks that fall in their performance compromise, even after all the updates they had, in France to perform well in S1 and S2 they fell off in S3.

It's a great team, they'll figure it out eventually, but so far that car has been a constant compromise.

f1316
f1316

dxpetrov wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 08:32
morefirejules08 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 08:13
deadhead wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 00:48

Not even close to challenging for the win at any of those tracks..
You didn’t watch silverstone then.
Only compared to Ferrari they were close in that race. Max would have sailed off in distance if remained in the race without the broken car. Therefore the relative pace to the front runner would have been the same.
Compared to Sainz’s Ferrari maybe. Leclerc’s broken Ferrari (losing 5 points of downforce) was still faster in clean air.

zibby43
zibby43

napoleon1981 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 14:35
zibby43 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 06:38
napoleon1981 wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 19:07

Last years Merc is correlating so well with this years merc. It is not that we had major regulation changes or anything.
It actually kind of is, despite the change.

Strongest showings in Barcelona, Silverstone - the two tracks their cars have always been strong at.
Yeah you can cherry pick. What about Jeddah, just a few races apart with the different regulations?
I forgot to include France as well, although the qualifying effort wasn't spectacular. Cherry picking? I don't think so. In Jeddah the car was still a porpoising nightmare.

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

Wouter wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 20:28
yamahasho wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 19:22
deadhead wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 18:36
What are the chances that brand new floor Ferrari brought to France was developed with the new TD in mind and its already compliant?
Possibly but RB is loudest about the rule change, I can’t think of any reason other than they were not confirming to the rules. They are master of flex.
I don't think so! This is btw off topic. It belongs in the "All kinds of news about F1" thread/topic. Maybe a mod can move this post?
'Ferrari is prepared to protest against FIA porpoising rules'
19:07, Today

Several Formula One teams, including Ferrari and Red Bull Racing, oppose the FIA's proposed rule changes to further combat porpoising.
The teams believe that it is not a safety issue, but that the changes are designed to help Mercedes.
Ferrari are even prepared to lodge a protest, which could make life very difficult for the FIA.

To further combat porpoising, the FIA plans to make a number of changes to the floor mandatory. For example, each team will have to raise the floor edges by 25 millimetres, the throat of the diffuser under the floor will also have to be raised and stricter tests will be introduced to check the flexing of the floor.
-----------------------
-----------------------
Ferrari willing to appeal against FIA decision

Six of the ten teams are against the changes the FIA wants to introduce in 2023, including Ferrari. And that is an important one, because Ferrari has a right of veto with which it can block certain decisions. Whether this will be possible here remains to be seen, as the FIA claims that it is a safety issue and therefore does not need the teams' agreement in principle. However, it does open up the discussion as to what extent it is actually about safety, as the problem can already be solved by adjusting the ride height.

Ferrari would even be prepared to lodge a protest against the changes, according to Michael Schmidt in a video of Auto, Motor und Sport. Mattia Binotto would have told him this personally. The Ferrari team boss thinks that safety is not an argument, as measurements will already be taken from Spa-Francorchamps. If teams do exceed the limit, they run the risk of being disqualified. According to Binotto, more rules are not necessary for this reason.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/119875/f ... rules.html

You can choose your own subtitels.

This isn't about flexing floors,this is about changing ride height, they're not one and the same issue. I think changing ride height because others are having an issue is something worth protesting.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Question of balance, Mercedes typically has to sacrifice something, plus they aren't that fast in slow corners, see Monaco.

Hardly F1 101, is it...
But it was faster in the slow corners at the end of S1 in France.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wogx

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 09:53
If RB and Ferrari won't have mechanical issues and Ferrari strategists won't make another "Grande Strategia", then Mercedes will finish P5/P6.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

wogx wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 10:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
If RB and Ferrari won't have mechanical issues and Ferrari strategists won't make another "Grande Strategia", then Mercedes will finish P5/P6.
P4/P5 if you count Perez as a mechanical issue.

Chuckjr

aleks_ader wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:38
dialtone wrote:
Evo2racer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:38

Why not Mercedes ?
Well IDK but they got edge in low speed in all races even from Bahrein. Or at least their setup goes in that direction of car strengths. But for that performance window their car have quite a bit of drag. So much drag that they cannot really compete in qually trim where each compromise amplifies even more. Especially this year we got at least another variable into setup window - bouncing. Witch counter act into drag window even more negatively. Because when u try to reduce it u lift body and makes L/D ration even worse.

In race trims last races they are much closer IMO. But this is more compromise of heavy cars and tire limited stints. Maybe even some lacklustre power from size zero radiators or some E10 problems doubles the pain even further. Also setup orientation towards race setups and experimentation doesn't really help its peak performance. Qually setups needs fine tuning and total comintment into car philosophy. It is obvious that car doesnt have constant perfomance window from track to track.
Track to track? More like min by min. The set up window prime for the W13 is infinitesimal...if it even exists. My hope is they keep the failed philosophy, and take all of next year to trying to prove it’s a good idea.

I think Leclerc pulls it together enough to take the win.

If it rains tho, it’s really anyone’s race to win with how they are with safety cars and the slightest bit of rain these days. I’m almost expecting a red flag atp.

Dare to dream — would be great to see a surprise Fred or Norris podium.

I hope Haas can keep their race pace strong till the end of the race for once, but I’m not holding my breath.

Red Bull will be strong no matter what. Their update packages continue to lead the field. Much respect for Horner. He runs a tight ship and mighty effort.
Watching F1 since 1986.

politburo
politburo

Quali looks like it will be a dry/drying track session, most rain is expected in morning with 25-degree air temp in afternoon. Will be interesting to watch.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Wouter

I saw on several pages this forecast.

The latest weather forecast: Today is >30C degrees and beautiful weather.
Tomorrow from 06:00 h an 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms. That decreases at 17:00 h. (5 pm)
In the morning < 1 mm precipitation/hour. After 12:00, increasing to 2.5 mm/hour. FP3 and Qualification.
Temperature around 25C degrees, partly sun and very little wind.
The showers are very localized.
Qualification is therefore practically certain on a (semi) wet track.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wogx wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 10:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
Most likely, yes. I'm not one of those that think Mercedes can win without external factors falling in their favour.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Rainy race on Sunday ?
I expect Sainz to win this one as he's getting more confortable with the Ferrari.

SiLo

Spoutnik wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:04
Rainy race on Sunday ?
I expect Sainz to win this one as he's getting more confortable with the Ferrari.
I think he would have been on pole in France without his penalties. He was on fire.
Felipe Baby!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

SiLo wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:09
Spoutnik wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:04
Rainy race on Sunday ?
I think he would have been on pole in France without his penalties. He was on fire.
Yes... His lap in Q2 was impressive =D>