2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

From Formu1a Uno

Ferrari: new hybrid and penalty for Leclerc. Will Sainz challenge RedBull?

At Ferrari, the particular strategy - wanted and due - of engine management continues. In Belgium only Charles Leclerc will take penalties, preparing for a comeback race with the novelty of the updated hybrid. Carlos Sainz will have the task of challenging Red Bull and start the chase for Ferrari's two world titles.
25/08/2022 Authors: Paolo D'Alessandro & Giuliano Duchessa

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-nuovo-i ... a-redbull/
The Power of Dreams!

Schippke

Any predictions for the weekend?

For some reason, I feel it's going to be Red Bull/Mercedes/Ferrari in that order... more so down to pace alone. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference (if any) the technical directives make this weekend.

Expecting another Ferrari masterclass on strategy too if its a Wet one... maybe they'll chance it on Intermediates when its raining cats and dogs. :mrgreen: Fuji 2007 anyone?

Zynerji

Schippke wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 17:45
Any predictions for the weekend?

For some reason, I feel it's going to be Red Bull/Mercedes/Ferrari in that order... more so down to pace alone. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference (if any) the technical directives make this weekend.

Expecting another Ferrari masterclass on strategy too if its a Wet one... maybe they'll chance it on Intermediates when its raining cats and dogs. :mrgreen: Fuji 2007 anyone?
I think McLaren and possibly Alpha Tauri to go better than expected here. HAAS might be the Dark Horse bet for podium however.

LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:25
bonjon1979 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 23:43
SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:12
T1 will be interesting now with the gravel… How many cars will end up “beached” after the start?

https://i.imgur.com/MYMhXpK.jpg
They’ll all try to stay on the track instead of using the run off to gain an advantage.
La Source is an overtaking opportunity. Will we see some circumspection from drivers as the risk of being "invited" to drive in to the gravel on exit risks a race-ending outcome.

It'll be interesting to see if:
a - there are fewer attempts, and/or
b - we see drivers penalised for forcing another in to the gravel.
As for option b, no matter how harsh the penalty is, it will not be as painful as for the other driver having to end the race before it even really started.

What’s up with that gravel out of the blue this year? Any reason?

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 17:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:25
bonjon1979 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 23:43

They’ll all try to stay on the track instead of using the run off to gain an advantage.
La Source is an overtaking opportunity. Will we see some circumspection from drivers as the risk of being "invited" to drive in to the gravel on exit risks a race-ending outcome.

It'll be interesting to see if:
a - there are fewer attempts, and/or
b - we see drivers penalised for forcing another in to the gravel.
As for option b, no matter how harsh the penalty is, it will not be as painful as for the other driver having to end the race before it even really started.

If someone does deliberately drive someone in to the gravel then yes, a penalty is required.

At La Source, I don't see why they need gravel up to the edge of the track but maybe it's there for bikes or some other racing series. If they've done it to stop drivers taking the mickey, why not use a sensor like they have at Raidillon?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Drivers will not dive bomb in the midfield at the start. I'm sure the teams are hammering that home with the drivers...

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Noetiepoerker26

LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 17:48
I believe that the majority of the track's changes were carried out to better accommodate motorcycle races, Spa wants to organise a 24H motorcycle endurance race. The changes are obligated by the FIM as far as I'm concerned.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

f1316

Wouter wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 19:21
Don’t forget that the final parts of the hybrid - not all of which are yet frozen - will be frozen from Sept. So if Ferrari and Honda (or Mercedes for that matter) have anything at all to bring to those components that will add performance, it’s only logical to do it as even the slightest improvement is one that will be locked in for 3.5 years.

Ferrari bound to do it at Spa rather than Monza - at least with the lead car - but will only take a 5 place penalty; Red Bull have enough gap in the championship that they can afford to race through from the back (and still get top 5 if not podium).

search

sounds more likely to be a full new unit for both. Especially in Red Bull's case it's basically a given (if they take a penalty), as they aren't even on the limit for ES elements yet - and I can't see how it's supposed to make change to bring 2 new ES elements but nothing else.

Alexf1

Don't see any need for RB yet to take PU parts that cause penalties after having both take a fresh set in Hungary. Better keep building the points gap and take one in US.

organic

search wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 20:35
sounds more likely to be a full new unit for both. Especially in Red Bull's case it's basically a given (if they take a penalty), as they aren't even on the limit for ES elements yet - and I can't see how it's supposed to make change to bring 2 new ES elements but nothing else.
Max is also at the limit for gearbox which I expect he'll take. So almost certainly a full change of everything

They clearly expected to be taking some form of penalty at spa (be it engine or gearbox) and so went to the limit with the other component; they took two new gearboxes in the past couple of races and two new engines at Hungary, making them ready for a full back of the grid drop at spa

Neuron

Monza seems to be no-brainer for this. Very easy and safe overtaking on long straights, even easier with new PU and so on + RB has very low drag.

Wouter

Alexf1 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 20:43
Don't see any need for RB yet to take PU parts that cause penalties after having both take a fresh set in Hungary. Better keep building the points gap and take one in US.
The new PU will have an upgraded MGU-K and ES, so more power. Leclerc will do the same, so it would be stupid not to take the upgraded ERS system.
The Power of Dreams!