2022 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Sep 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

organic

Re: 2022 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Sep 02 - 04

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/exclu ... /10361014/

Eager to avoid having asphalt run-offs, race organisers have created a special one-metre wide area that runs behind the kerb at Turn 12 where the gravel has been encased in a resin type material. This makes it look like gravel but it in fact totally solid.
It means drivers running slightly wide at the corner will not disturb the stones, so it should help reduce dramatically any gravel getting pulled on to the racing line that could prompt the need for a red flag.

The smooth and bumpy nature of this solid area also means that it will offer minimal grip, so drivers will be deterred from trying to abuse it and getting too near the real gravel.
“You can't really use it: it's too slippery and bumpy for cars. But at least it avoids getting all kinds of debris on the track, so it's a nice development for other tracks.”

bluechris

organic wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:26

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... trap-1.jpg
Eager to avoid having asphalt run-offs, race organisers have created a special one-metre wide area that runs behind the kerb at Turn 12 where the gravel has been encased in a resin type material. This makes it look like gravel but it in fact totally solid.
It means drivers running slightly wide at the corner will not disturb the stones, so it should help reduce dramatically any gravel getting pulled on to the racing line that could prompt the need for a red flag.

The smooth and bumpy nature of this solid area also means that it will offer minimal grip, so drivers will be deterred from trying to abuse it and getting too near the real gravel.
“You can't really use it: it's too slippery and bumpy for cars. But at least it avoids getting all kinds of debris on the track, so it's a nice development for other tracks.”
They had test this solution really? I hope this resin holds together really.

Big Tea

bluechris wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:47
organic wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:26

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... trap-1.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about the resin. My neighbours had a resin drive layer and once the wind and rain undercut is slightly it crack, and a car throwing these chunks about would be bad news.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Espresso

Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:51
bluechris wrote:
I was thinking the same thing about the resin. My neighbours had a resin drive layer and once the wind and rain undercut is slightly it crack, and a car throwing these chunks about would be bad news.
Well it's a test anyhow...
But Dutch bicycle paths are topcovered in a similar kind of resin....and everything drives over it. It holds normal traffic. Let's see how it handles a sliding F1 car.....
If it works it would be a great solution for getting rid of the debates...
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Zynerji

Espresso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:41
Big Tea wrote:
bluechris wrote:
But Dutch bicycle paths are topcovered in a similar kind of resin....and everything drives over it. It holds normal traffic. Let's see how it handles a sliding F1 car.....
It's probably just acrylic. It's fine if it's deep enough. (16 inches or so).

PlatinumZealot

organic wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 23:24
Sofa King wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 21:54
If Max won by 20 seconds last year, he will win by 2 minutes this year. How riveting
Last year Hamilton pitted for fastest lap hence the 20s gap. It was actually a very closely fought race (and would've been exciting, had overtaking been possible)

Doubt the gap will be anywhere near as large as it was at spa
Max was cruising after the first stop. IIRC.

Should be another walkover with the RB's rangey suspension perfect for the twists and thurns.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

vorticism

Zynerji wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:58
Espresso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:41
Big Tea wrote:

It's probably just acrylic. It's fine if it's deep enough. (16 inches or so).
Probably much thinner as far as the binder/matrix goes. On residential driveways its something like an inch of penetration per building code depending on aggregate size. So maybe 5x thicker in a trackside application? The strength of the edge would be my concern.
𓄀

Starscreamer

Hope to see a good race at zandvoort (nice circuit)
Last year it was good organized for the audience. =D>
Hope not to see (rumors) demonstrations this year.

This year no Spa live for me
This year no Zandvoort live (Friday) for me
This year both tv for me
This year almost (9-9-2022) a baby for me :-D

2021 pictures:

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Wouter

Well, this years trophy. Do you like it? I don't.

Last year was even worse.

The Power of Dreams!

Starscreamer

Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 09:37
Well, this years trophy. Do you like it? I don't.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbgTtdmWAAI ... name=small

Last year was even worse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbgTtdjWQAE ... me=360x360
Its improved compared to last year :D
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Just_a_fan

Starscreamer wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 09:11

This year almost (9-9-2022) a baby for me :-D
Congratulations. I hope everything goes smoothly. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech

Ah, Heineken... they make their trophies like their beer - tasteless.

organic

Expecting ride height compromises to be a thing again. The suspension compression through T3 paired with the bumps there (have a look at 2021 cars through there - even they experienced it pretty badly) looks like it will be a problem for the new cars, along with the bumpiness elsewhere. Banking will exaggerate any bumps on the surface

https://www.givemesport.com/88054250-du ... dvoort/amp
“We have cars which are a lot more mechanical, and at tracks like Baku and others they’re a bit harder than we’d like it to be, and I guess Zandvoort is going to be one of those tracks as well. We have banked corners where cars are getting quite low, and we saw this year that once we get low, things turn out to be very bumpy.”
And from AMuS:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nfreiheit/
According to the engineers, there is only one of the next three locations where Mercedes can come up trumps again. Ironically, in the Ferrari stronghold of Monza. "Zandvoort and Singapore are bumpy tracks. That could mean that everyone has to go up with the ground clearance." If that were the case, directive 039 would still catch up with Mercedes.

organic

2022 Dutch GP track map from Mercedes

2021 map for comparison of cornering speeds:

T7 and T3, 2022 cars are quicker, everywhere else is equal or slower. T4 and T14 are the weakest points for new cars. Will be interesting to see how quick the new cars take T3 - bet it will feel really good to drive that banking (as long as bouncing isn't too bad)
Last edited by organic on 01 Sep 2022, 12:47, edited 3 times in total.