[MVRC] Potential rule changes for 2023

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
nick00

Re: [MVRC] Potential rule changes for 2023

Hello, I would like to take part too. It would be my first time. Any idea with the time schedule for the new year? When the new rules will be completed? Thank you

variante

This is a variant of my car from last year, modified to satisfy a cooling requirement of 2m3/s (from last year's 3m3/s).
As you can see, our cars would have a better chance to reflect F1 design language.
Moreover, reaching the cooling target would be less tedious and labor intensive.
(i also used the real F1 rule-boxes, allowing for a wider cooling exit at the back, as well as a smaller engine)

beschadigunc

variante wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:38
This is a variant of my car from last year, modified to satisfy a cooling requirement of 2m3/s (from last year's 3m3/s).
As you can see, our cars would have a better chance to reflect F1 design language.
Moreover, reaching the cooling target would be less tedious and labor intensive.
(i also used the real F1 rule-boxes, allowing for a wider cooling exit at the back, as well as a smaller engine)
https://i.imgur.com/hoT3qlb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WoPlk6L.jpg
Totally agreed that the cooling targets are hard to reach, but to be fair hitting 1.5 midR with fairly f1 like inlets and outlets have been relatively easy for me and my partner. It is hard to make sure internal flow is guided nicely and your outlet condition is happy and the big engine and large need for an outlet surely makes the performance part harder. I would suggest reducing it to 2.5 rather than 2 to keep the part of the challange

variante

beschadigunc wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 02:09
variante wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:38
https://i.imgur.com/hoT3qlb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WoPlk6L.jpg
Totally agreed that the cooling targets are hard to reach, but to be fair hitting 1.5 midR with fairly f1 like inlets and outlets have been relatively easy for me and my partner. It is hard to make sure internal flow is guided nicely and your outlet condition is happy and the big engine and large need for an outlet surely makes the performance part harder. I would suggest reducing it to 2.5 rather than 2 to keep the part of the challange
The side effect of forcing higher cooling targets is that people will prefer to reach them in weird ways, rather than to optimize a realistic F1 sidepod. Punching big holes in the sidepods is just easier, more appealing.
So, paradoxically, that discourages sensible aerodynamic research, and encourages the "punching holes" approach.

Also, reaching the target shouldn't be hard anyway. The rule exists to make sure we don't make unrealistically small sidepods.
BTW, Mercedes have the smallest real-life sidepods, and they would still be hard (or impossible) to make with a 2m3/s requirement.

nick00 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:34
Hello, I would like to take part too. It would be my first time. Any idea with the time schedule for the new year? When the new rules will be completed? Thank you
Truth is nobody knows, even the CFD-guy/organizer...

spacehead3

Hi all, rest assured we are working on things behind the scenes. We have had some discussion on cooling but I'll leave that to Andre to explain. I believe the plan is to roughly coincide the start with the beginning of the European F1 season.
Max Taylor

LVDH

variante wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 16:00
nick00 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:34
Truth is nobody knows, even the CFD-guy/organizer...
There is a lot of truth in this statement. Right now, it looks like you should get an invite to the new season rather soon. We want the first race to coincide with the Monaco GP.
I hope to have the new rules and parts done by end of next week. That is when I will open the 2023 registration. MFlow will receive it's update right after that. This way, you guys can start designing. Some two weeks later the new MFlow should get released, so you can get the new cars running.