F1TV

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: F1TV

hollus wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 10:29
The delay can hardly be avoided in an stream, can it. Does any streaming service not have it?
I'm not sure we're on the same page. Lower tier F1TV has intentional delay of 2 days or more. Obviously PRO version that has live stream has a delay or around 1 or 2 minutes, but that's normal.
organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 01:20
The commentary with Coulthard/Alex Jacques and palmer was elite today

Sky commentary has become lazy thinking they're the default product of F1 broadcasting
Brundle's commentating skills have gone down the drain completely. Appalling performance during qualifying. Completely unlike brundle that worked with Murray in old days.

chrisc90

The f1tv livestream is a couple minutes behind a stream from sky for example. And thats compared to a stream of Sky online rather than satellite.

mclaren111

Juzh wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 12:31
hollus wrote:
The delay can hardly be avoided in an stream, can it. Does any streaming service not have it?
I'm not sure we're on the same page. Lower tier F1TV has intentional delay of 2 days or more. Obviously PRO version that has live stream has a delay or around 1 or 2 minutes, but that's normal.
organic wrote:

Sky commentary has become lazy thinking they're the default product of F1 broadcasting
Brundle's commentating skills have gone down the drain completely. Appalling performance during qualifying. Completely unlike brundle that worked with Murray in old days.

Sky has been Crap for years now... Sad to hear about Brundle - the only good one in the bunch...

organic

F1tv are increasing their pre- and post-session coverage this season, so looks like fom might be backing it and getting rid of exclusivity deals in future? At least it's true that they are spending more money on it with a great deal more coverage

chrisc90

Its odd though since F1Tv have just given a lot of access to Sky on the Red button on the app where you can get driver onboards. Not sure what else you get through there as I cant be bothered to set up sky on the sports app as out user allocations are full.

Im pleased to hear F1tv are increasing the pre-post session coverage. Something I thought as severely lacking compared to the Sky coverage with the interviews etc

hollus

Juzh wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 12:31
hollus wrote:
organic wrote:

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I meant the 30 seconds or 1 minute delay.
Rivals, not enemies.

TradeMark

I ran into this video last weekend:

I got intrigued by how it's possible to get these onboards with telemetry next to it, and eventually found MultiViewer. However, when running that, it require Live Timing to run (or in replay Re-Live Timing). But I don't seem to have the option to replay Live Timing when a session is not currently running. Any clue how to get replay Live Timing to run, so I could compare laps with telemetry like in the video above?

Very grateful if anyone can help out :)

Juzh

TradeMark wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 01:53
I ran into this video last weekend:

I got intrigued by how it's possible to get these onboards with telemetry next to it, and eventually found MultiViewer. However, when running that, it require Live Timing to run (or in replay Re-Live Timing). But I don't seem to have the option to replay Live Timing when a session is not currently running. Any clue how to get replay Live Timing to run, so I could compare laps with telemetry like in the video above?

Very grateful if anyone can help out :)
I make these clips with telemetry using screen cap method and manual sync and so on, they're a pain to make and takes too much time. Don't bother.

I'm not sure what problem you are having with f1 multiviewer. Open a session you want to watch, click on replay live timing, then select driver onboard, click on speedometer icon on the right side, jump to time you want and click S to sync telemetry with onboard. You have to click S anytime you jump forward or backwards to re-sync.

Dont expect sync to be perfect, could be up to 2 seconds off.

Note that replay live timing becomes available sometime after a session is over. Usually within few hours, but could be up to a day.

TradeMark

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the great video! Hope you'll be making more of these. Not sure what's different now in MultiViewer compared to before, but now it's working yes. The sync is indeed 1-2 seconds off though and even the telemetry seems like it's fewer FPS than in your video, so it seems indeed it's a struggle to get it done well. I was hoping it would be easier to select a few drivers and compare them, but looks like that's not going to happen so easily.

This also works live during the session, right? Didn't have the chance to check that last weekend.

Juzh

TradeMark wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 00:51
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the great video! Hope you'll be making more of these. Not sure what's different now in MultiViewer compared to before, but now it's working yes. The sync is indeed 1-2 seconds off though and even the telemetry seems like it's fewer FPS than in your video, so it seems indeed it's a struggle to get it done well. I was hoping it would be easier to select a few drivers and compare them, but looks like that's not going to happen so easily.

This also works live during the session, right? Didn't have the chance to check that last weekend.
F1MW telemetry seems less fps because by design it's not using interpolation. Numbers you get are all real, but are a bit janky and come in infrequent samples, around 4hz. There's a lot of jitter in incoming data so 2 samples could be only 0,1s apart, while 3rd one will be 0,4s or 0,5s.
In contrast telemetry you see in my clips is from official f1 app. That one has a lot of interpolation integrated to mask perceived lack of sampling you mentioned, sometimes (when jitter is high) this makes it not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's good enough, as long as you're not expecting pin point accuracy. It's also got some other tweaks that make it easier to follow.