2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

falonso81 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:59
So, they ended the race 1 lap early but it still counts as race over? Alpine should have continued and cross the line and then protest the result.
We could have had a full race distance, or at least much more than we did.

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:58
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:53

Who knows, it would take someone to go back and look at the speeds of other cars when the red flag was called. On another note, what is a decent speed to return to the pits after a red flag? Maybe they should just stick the pit limiter on and cruise back as itll be a safe speed with no time to gain/lose/advantages anyhow as the race is stopped. Simple solution to a problem like what we seen with the speed today.

Its a shame theres no way to use the pit-limiter automatically when passing incidents like this as it would force the reduction of speed by drivers to a very safe level. For example taking out a mini sector or 2 where cars are limited. But guess be pretty hard to accurately implement.
This is something I've written about on here before. I don't see why a "slow zone", as used in LMP series and the like, can't be used. In the slow zone, you drive on the pit limiter. They would need to have a mini-sector for slowing down before the incident but even so, you'd have no more than 3 mini-sectors covering the incident.
Yeah, if other series can use it then no reason F1 cant. I guess the problem comes when you have the car ahead going through the limited speed section, then the yellow is removed for the next guy meaning he can go faster through the previously affected area. What time could be gained there is probably the reason why its not done.
There's some luck in all of these things. No different to the timing of VSC and SC events - if you've just gone by the pit entrance and they throw a SC then you lose out massively compared to the guy behind you.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:08
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:58

This is something I've written about on here before. I don't see why a "slow zone", as used in LMP series and the like, can't be used. In the slow zone, you drive on the pit limiter. They would need to have a mini-sector for slowing down before the incident but even so, you'd have no more than 3 mini-sectors covering the incident.
Yeah, if other series can use it then no reason F1 cant. I guess the problem comes when you have the car ahead going through the limited speed section, then the yellow is removed for the next guy meaning he can go faster through the previously affected area. What time could be gained there is probably the reason why its not done.
There's some luck in all of these things. No different to the timing of VSC and SC events - if you've just gone by the pit entrance and they throw a SC then you lose out massively compared to the guy behind you.
Thats true. I still guess you could work it out though to ensure that there's a safer speed for drivers passing a incident. It would just mean a different delta for how you pass a yellow flag. It must be monitored somehow with timing so you just add a few more seconds onto what's there at the moment.

Sieper

Mogster wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:48
Is there any point In Pirelli bringing their current full wets to the events?

You’d assume the full wet would have been the tyre of choice today but no, even on a track with visible rivers of water crossing the racing line the inter was still substantially more effective. OK the cars and parc ferme rules don't help but Pirelli need to take responsibility for a lot of the lack of performance from their wet tyre.
They probably need to go to an intermediate “heavy” and “light”. The full wet will always produce too much spray. Especially now with the ground effect throwing water up this high.

Mogster

Sieper wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:40
Mogster wrote:

You’d assume the full wet would have been the tyre of choice today but no, even on a track with visible rivers of water crossing the racing line the inter was still substantially more effective. OK the cars and parc ferme rules don't help but Pirelli need to take responsibility for a lot of the lack of performance from their wet tyre.
They probably need to go to an intermediate “heavy” and “light”. The full wet will always produce too much spray. Especially now with the ground effect throwing water up this high.
Yes. I understand the dry tyres are made according to the FIAs demands but for wet conditions it seems Pirelli has full responsibility.

Maybe ditch the full wet and bring in a “slickermediate” similar to Michelins WEC cold/damp slick tyre.

Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Or the tracks could use porous tarmac when they resurface.

search

falonso81 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:59
So, they ended the race 1 lap early but it still counts as race over? Alpine should have continued and cross the line and then protest the result.
or Ferrari. When the flag was waved early in Montreal a couple of years back, they went back to the result from the lap before - and this is also what the rules still say:

"Should for any reason the end-of-session signal be given before [...] the prescribed time has been completed, the [..] race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given."

This would move Leclerc back to 2nd.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:56
Sieper wrote:
Mogster wrote:

I was just discussing this exact solution with my F1 watching buddy. He suggested that too. Wouldn’t that chance the characteristic of a track too much? Yes, the layout is unchanged but if the level of abresivness changes very much so too the character of the track. Or am I overthinking it and would it simply always be better?

Mogster

Sieper wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 15:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

I was just discussing this exact solution with my F1 watching buddy. He suggested that too. Wouldn’t that chance the characteristic of a track too much? Yes, the layout is unchanged but if the level of abresivness changes very much so too the character of the track. Or am I overthinking it and would it simply always be better?
Tracks are already re-surfaced frequently though, or at least the tracks used by F1 or Moto GP tend to be.

Marble

Some telemetry of Gasly during the red flag period, and comparison with a standard Gasly lap during the race ...
The 200 and 251 kph are a bit arbitrary so looks like there's a bit of subjectivity in FIA's decision

BlueCheetah66

Mogster wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 14:49
Sieper wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Yes. I understand the dry tyres are made according to the FIAs demands but for wet conditions it seems Pirelli has full responsibility.

Maybe ditch the full wet and bring in a “slickermediate” similar to Michelins WEC cold/damp slick tyre.
That name is criminal

InsaneX_Badger

Surely, inters, wets, then either monsoon, or extremes is the way to go if they want to add a third wet weather tyre into the range.

Tom145145

I heard that the wet tires are designed to have only a small crossover window with the inters, the idea is that it will be more exciting. But just like all other great ideas with tires the teams spoil the concept. If the full wet ran further into the inter window then you would see teams use it.
The fact all the cars went onto inters soon after the safety car says everything about this situation. I echo the opinion that the FIA need to stop messing around with qualifying and look at wet races.

Just_a_fan

Marble wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 15:40
Some telemetry of Gasly during the red flag period, and comparison with a standard Gasly lap during the race ...
The 200 and 251 kph are a bit arbitrary so looks like there's a bit of subjectivity in FIA's decision

Yeah, it's a classic "you made us look bad so here's a slap for your troubles" response from a group that sees preservation of their own standing as being more important than the sport itself.

Hoffman900

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Civil here. Cars like F1 cars would destroy porous paving in a single session.