2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

Nothing overly exciting left, tbh. Terrible season, that RB basically dominated after Imola. RB taking the Constructors is only a matter of time, and Merc have dropped too far behind Ferrari. Alpine v McLaren is the only real intriguing battle remaining.

As for the drivers, I’m really only interested in whether HAM can overturn that deficit to Russell. Not much happening anywhere else, for me.

Just waiting for, 2023.

Sieper

DGP123 wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 14:27
Nothing overly exciting left, tbh. Terrible season, that RB basically dominated after Imola. RB taking the Constructors is only a matter of time, and Merc have dropped too far behind Ferrari. Alpine v McLaren is the only real intriguing battle remaining.

As for the drivers, I’m really only interested in whether HAM can overturn that deficit to Russell. Not much happening anywhere else, for me.

Just waiting for, 2023.
Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about redbull being the clear 3rd team (and sometimes battling with Ferrari) in many years since 2014? Terrible seasons?

I think Ferrari was a contender, certainly up to summer break, after that Redbull and certainly Max have been too good.

F1NAC

Alonso went straight, gained time = advantage probably (in relation to incoming latifi and vettel out of the box)... no penalty

Consistency once again

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 14:31
DGP123 wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 14:27

Just waiting for, 2023.
Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about redbull being the clear 3rd team (and sometimes battling with Ferrari) in many years since 2014? Terrible seasons?

I think Ferrari was a contender, certainly up to summer break, after that Redbull and certainly Max have been too good.
Ferrari seemed to go noticeably backwards in race pace after the floor TD was brought it. May be coincidence, may just be that they ran up against the cost cap and couldn't develop fast enough.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

A JCB on track with a car catching up to the safety car in the wet. We’ve seen this before on this track and that was even in the gravel trap.

I think this needs a proper investigation before we return to this track.

TimW
TimW

Although yesterday's awarding of full points was weird and felt wrong, it made me realize that there should be a distinction between suspended races and races with reduced laps but a normal finish.

Yesterday we had a proper finish, teams could plan for it and nobody got caught it with pitstop timing or anything. With a suspended race there is a much bigger luck factor. So less point should be awarded for a suspended (and not resumed) race vs a shortened but finished race.

The other thing is that a Spa repeat is still possible under the current rules. They could have resumed after 2 hours 50 minutes behind the safety car, done a few laps, and the finish still under the safety car. So no race at all, and still full points would have been awarded.......

Edax
Edax

Mogster wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 21:52
johnny comelately wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 21:23
Agree with both those points.
To add to the first one, all "foreign objects" on the track could transmit a signal that would be "read" by the drivers.
They could put better lights on the vehicles, the ones fitted barely penetrated the mist.
Yeah, agree that could be better. On the other hand a car wreck or a loose wheel also does not have lights. Yellow or red means that there is an imminent danger on the track and drivers should slow down accordingly.

I hope this does not lead to additional restrictions for marshalls. Might not have been necessary now but accidents like Grosjean show that it is vital to get people on the scene fast to help.

Mogster

Jolle wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 16:27
A JCB on track with a car catching up to the safety car in the wet. We’ve seen this before on this track and that was even in the gravel trap.

If you watch any Superformula this is how the Japanese operate. Vehicles on track recovering cars while the racing continues are not unusual.

Following the rules seems to be a big part of the Japanese psyche. The organisers expect the drivers to do as they are told.

organic

My brain cannot accept this, yet it is the truth

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mogster wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 12:09
Jolle wrote:

If you watch any Superformula this is how the Japanese operate. Vehicles on track recovering cars while the racing continues are not unusual.

Following the rules seems to be a big part of the Japanese psyche. The organisers expect the drivers to do as they are told.
Gasly's French. A "Gallic shrug" and then he does his own thing. Culture clash. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

Mogster wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Can’t remember a white flag was shown…

I remember a decade ago where they went on track with an Isuzu bus to deliver lunch to the marshals at a GT race at Zandvoort. Still, it’s not something you want at a rain soaked Suzuka at a F1 race.

ispano6

Mogster wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up, you can say it's naivety or good faith... Either way, it's bad officiating and marshaling. One that there was no VSC and two Pierre clearly not in his right mind during the conditions. With Bianchi, it was also a case of over-speeding in double yellow section. You can't fault the tractor or the ground crew, they are dispatched as told. This is an issue regarding race control. It's not Suzuka or the Japanese crew at fault.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

for comparison re wets, the second half this video of the Spanish GP 1992
"NIGEL MANSELL WINS IN STORM - SPAIN 1992"

e30ernest
e30ernest

I think it is hard to compare the wet races back then compared to today's wet races. We are dealing with tires that can evacuate a lot more water than before and aero that can make them shoot up higher. Visibility is a real problem nowadays.

kalinka
kalinka

That car had active suspension, so not really comparable