Is the RB18 dominant?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Quantum

Re: Is the RB18 dominant?

Juzh wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 13:26
Put it simply I don't remember such threads for the RB7,9, W05, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11. Therefore just the existence of this thread makes it obvious it's not a black or white subject, thus by default making it not dominant.
I think that's largely false.

Most fans accept the RB18 is the class of the field. And has been for the majority of the season.

The point of disagreement comes in with the interpretation of dominant.

Some say it must take pole position as this is reflective of speed. I'd contest that and say stint times on various compounds is by far the greater indicator of speed, as tyres are so critical this year.

Some say winning by 30 second margins is the definition of dominant.
I'd contest that, as dominant is reflective of the ability to win consistently.

Floyd Mayweather was regarded as a dominant boxer with 50-0 record.
Yet he hardly ever commanded the ring and was largely defensive with crab like qualities.

We've seen at repeated phases of grand prix weekends this year that RB can prolong their pace to their rivals.

Reflecting the critical switchover point when rivals start to lose pace and are forced into making strategic changes to combat the superiority of RB in this area.

You don't need an overt display of pace, which could wreck your stint, you just need to keep the tyres working better than your rivals.
Ironically at Austrian GP the roles were reversed and Ferrari found themselves slower than RB, but in the race Red Bull couldn't keep the tyres working due to an overtly aggressive set up and lost out.

That proved an exception.

And essentially outlines my point that Dominance is reflective of the capacity to consistently bring the results
"Interplay of triads"

mendis

Juzh wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 13:26
Put it simply I don't remember such threads for the RB7,9, W05, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11. Therefore just the existence of this thread makes it obvious it's not a black or white subject, thus by default making it not dominant.
Agreed. Statistics without context is utterly misrepresentative of realities.

Stu

Which is what attempting to put across in my rather wordy previous post.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Bill

its has a reliable car and engine.Rbr cars have always been fragile except last year and this year.if they were still using renault pu charles will still be in champ fight ,look at the number of points Alonso has lost due to unreliable pu.cork up and poor tire wear since spa is the reason why ferrari are out of these champ fight,they were also luck because of max ealiar retirements due to fuel systems.number of charles poles tell a story

Ben1980

Yes. Clearly.

AeroDynamic

It is the best car this season. Where has it been underperforming? qualifying. But it's been so close at times, people assume it is the car thats quicker and not Charles. I'm sure Ferrari has been faster over 1 lap at some tracks, but sometimes Charles might just be faster over a single lap than Max, and actually beat max or got close to it, in a car that wasn't necessarily faster over 1 lap that weekend.

It shouldn't be that farfetched to people. Max has been out qualified by Sainz a handful of times as teammates, and hes been out qualified by one of the lower ranked drivers in qualifying tim - Perez.

The RBR looked like it was on even terms with the ferrari in the beginning but that might have been a lot to do with weight in the car rather than design/concept.

organic

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 17:11
It is the best car this season. Where has it been underperforming? qualifying. But it's been so close at times, people assume it is the car thats quicker and not Charles. I'm sure Ferrari has been faster over 1 lap at some tracks, but sometimes Charles might just be faster over a single lap than Max, and actually beat max or got close to it, in a car that wasn't necessarily faster over 1 lap that weekend.

It shouldn't be that farfetched to people. Max has been out qualified by Sainz a handful of times as teammates, and hes been out qualified by one of the lower ranked drivers in qualifying tim - Perez.

The RBR looked like it was on even terms with the ferrari in the beginning but that might have been a lot to do with weight in the car rather than design/concept.
I think the main reason why people assume the RB is a weaker qualifying car, especially in the first half of the season, is that the biggest weakness of the car was being overweight. Extra weight over the minimum hurts more on low fuel than high fuel. Both Merc and RB engineers have talked about that factor this season for their weaker quali.

Think it's obvious Leclerc and Max are great qualifiers. Max beat Perez something like 21-1 last year, and Leclerc consistently puts in amazing final laps in Q3. Both have been beaten by Sainz in qualifying fair and square, though worth mentioning Max was 17 when he went up against Sainz whilst skipping Gp2 etc.. Not exactly a fair comparison to Leclerc who is established team leader at Ferrari being beaten by Sainz in quali - 4 times this season and 9 times last season.. So if you want to talk about being beaten by teammates it doesn't look fantastic for Leclerc either.

Generally the assumption is that top drivers can get almost all of the performance out of the cars. At least that was the case when we discussed the rb16b vs w12 last season, despite Hamilton being often beaten by Bottas who himself is looking rather ordinary next to a rookie Zhou this season. Don't know why it shouldn't be the way to approach the rb18 vs f1-75 this time

organic

Toto says Ferrari were the faster car for the first half of the season. Given that's said with far more knowledge than us, worth a mention:

"Ferrari, in my opinion was until the summer break the quickest car, but they haven't been able to translate that into points."

https://racingnews365.com/wolff-downpla ... f-comeback

chrisc90

organic wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 18:11
Toto says Ferrari were the faster car for the first half of the season. Given that's said with far more knowledge than us, worth a mention:

"Ferrari, in my opinion was until the summer break the quickest car, but they haven't been able to translate that into points."

https://racingnews365.com/wolff-downpla ... f-comeback
For some reason, I could never imagine Toto coming out and saying that the Red Bull is the fastest car. It would pain him too much to admit that.

PlatinumZealot

Max could win the remaining four races. That's 16 wins in one season?

You don't do that without a dominant car and a number 2 teammate.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 18:31

Some don’t do it at all under said circumstances for the best part of a decade. Max has had the outright best car for the second part of the season. Not the first. You can diminish it all you want but if he achieves 16 wins it is pretty special. Period.

Andres125sx

DChemTech wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 12:10
Andres125sx wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 11:54
There are some hints to say if a car is dominant...

It won most races? Yes, more than 75%
Both drivers are at the top? Yes
#2 driver of the team can beat easily #1 of its main rival? Yes
Did they won the title with some margin? yes, with 4 races to go, huge margin

If the reply to all these questions is affirmative, then yes, it is dominant
I disagree;

- A Williams could win most, hell, all races if the competition just consistently crashed. Doesn't make the Williams dominant.
Yes, and I could have an affair with Scarlett Johansson... but reality is no, I wont. Have you ever seen any car winning most of the races without being dominant? Then no need to imagine absurd scenarios #-o

DChemTech wrote:
- Both drivers are at the top? Perez is struggling to get on the podium most of the time, we're not looking at consistent 1-2 finishes, as was the case for the MP4/4, W05, W06, W10, F2002, F2004 and RB9 (second half of 2013).
Perez did 9 podiums, same as Lecrerc. Would you say Lecrerc is struggling to get on the podium?

DChemTech wrote:

- Also means #2 cannot easily beat #1 of the rival - most of the time, Leclerc, and often also Sainz, beat Perez.
If that was true, Lecrerc and Sainz should be ahead in the table... but they´re not, Max is first and Perez is second, with same DNFs as Lecrerc

DChemTech wrote:
- Title won by a huge margin, yes, but before the summer break the failure of the competition played a major role (Also see point 1 here for a thought experiment). Another part is that Max' flawless driving helped giving an edge, which is why with close races Max typically came ahead of Leclerc.
The season is the whole season, it doesn´t matter how strong or weak the beginning of the season was, it´s the whole season what counts.

Apart from that, I agree Max is responsible of a good part of the domination, but it´s not a black or white scenario, it is also possible that the car is dominant and Max has been the best. That´s the reason he won the title with 4 races remaining, that´s a huge margin can´t be achieved without both a dominant car and a dominant driver.

None said it´s been the most dominant car ever tough. Mercedes was even more dominant past era, but that does not mean this Red Bull is being dominant too, not as much as past Mercedes, but dominant

DChemTech

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 08:07
Yes, and I could have an affair with Scarlett Johansson... but reality is no, I wont. Have you ever seen any car winning most of the races without being dominant? Then no need to imagine absurd scenarios #-o

It's a thought experiment obviousy, which has been an acceptable form of rhetoric at least since the classical era. It serves to illustrate that a driver/team can win consistently without a dominant car. Whether or not that happens in practice is irrelevant, it simply means that the notion that "x always wins" or "x wins >y%" in itself is not definitive proof of car dominance. One needs to consider the conditions under which it happens.

As I posted before, the performace of a team is a function of at least three factors; team_performance = f(car, driver, strategy). And if one considers performance versus competitors, one could say it has four factors team_performance = f(car, driver, strategy, competition performance). If competitors consistently fail, or your driver and strategy is much better than that of the main competitor, it could still be that you win the (vast) majority of races without having a dominant car. And we could do other thought experiments. What if a car always starts 2nd (with a different team in front), but always ends first by 0.1s (in absence of calamities) because they systematically mananage to perform faster pitstops and overtake the competitor in the pit. Is that a dominant car? To me, no, it's dominant strategy.

And in my opinion, the data does point to that for at least the first half of the season; in cases where RB won with a big margin over Fer, there was an issue with Fer (strategy or crash). In the other situations, it was typically a close call between Verstappen and Leclerc. Often Max came out on top - which can be because in 'uneventful' races the strategy of RB was better than of Fer, or because Max is a somewhat better driver than Charles, or because the RB18 is a marginally better car - but it is not a sign of dominance. Some have argued that RB decided to run with a less aggressive engine setup, but to me, that seems risky if the margin is only 1-3 seconds at the line for the lead driver, and the second driver is not on the podium. So, just looking at number of wins in itself is not enough, conditions matter, and I don't think the conditions pre-summer break point at car dominance.
Perez did 9 podiums, same as Lecrerc. Would you say Lecrerc is struggling to get on the podium?
I would say Leclerc was hampered by issues (strategy, technical, and in some cases driver error) more frequently than Perez. In 'uneventful' races Leclerc, and also Sainz, could compete with Perez and often beat Perez. Which hints there is a large driver factor at play. If it was just the car that was dominant, then also a mediocre/decent driver would often end second. We did not see that with the RB18, and in most cases where Perez did end 2nd (before summer) there were, again, issues with Ferrari at play. It could very well be that RB will score consistent 1-2 finishes in absence of Ferrari issues from now on, we will see.
If that was true, Lecrerc and Sainz should be ahead in the table... but they´re not, Max is first and Perez is second, with same DNFs as Lecrerc
Nope, it can be other effects are at play. Issues don't always lead to DNFs - poor strategic choices, long pitstops because one of the wheels was missing, etc. don't show up as DNFs; they do show up as poor scores that can alter the ranking.
The season is the whole season, it doesn´t matter how strong or weak the beginning of the season was, it´s the whole season what counts.
I guess that is more of a philosophical point - should we average performance over a season, or is 'dominance' something dynamic that can shift? To me, it is the second. Brawn was dominant at the start of 2009, but certainly not at the end. Over the whole season, that averaged out to being non-dominant, but just good enough to stick the win.
For this season, RB as a team is certainly dominant on average; in other words, the combination (car,driver,strategy, relative performance to competition) is dominant. But in isolation, the car factor was not dominant in the first half of the season if the conditions are considered. Whether it is dominant on average over the entire season? Maybe, depends a bit on what happens in races to come.
Apart from that, I agree Max is responsible of a good part of the domination, but it´s not a black or white scenario, it is also possible that the car is dominant and Max has been the best. That´s the reason he won the title with 4 races remaining, that´s a huge margin can´t be achieved without both a dominant car and a dominant driver.
I think the notion that it is not black or white is important to remark. There are certainly people that want to attribute Hamilton's title streak to being 'just the car'. I disagree there, the notion that he crushed his teammates in most seasons shows that he was also dominant as a driver, and very likely would still have been WDC in a car that was equal to the competition. Driver performance is harder to appreciate if the car is not dominant, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

CHT
CHT

RB18 is dominant partly due to Merc failing and Ferrari's inconsistency.

Opinion aside, the RB18 will go down in history as the most dominant car linked to Adrian Newey

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 00:18
Sieper wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 23:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 18:31

Some don’t do it at all under said circumstances for the best part of a decade. Max has had the outright best car for the second part of the season. Not the first. You can diminish it all you want but if he achieves 16 wins it is pretty special. Period.
Ah, Max is a God. All hail Max.

It's really quite boring now.

The guy's a great driver. No one discounts that. But no one - absolutely no one - wins big without the car beneath them.
Leclerc or Hamilton would've won just as many as Max has done - maybe more. The rb18 looking dominant is partly down to Max, but other great drivers would have done just as well. The reality is that the car seems dominant because Ferrari have failed many times this season.