2022 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2022 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 21 - 23

RZS10 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 13:07
You can watch the highlights on youtube and go frame by frame, count the frames between the impact and when he first begins what you believe to be a slight countersteer, then go to the external view, and go back the number of frames starting at the contact - Lewis is nowhere near him at that point.

But i'm more inclined to say that it's not a correction but the hard _left_ he does for the cutback ...

edit: actually easy to confirm this observation, he goes from a hard left for the cutback to a hard right in the countersteer after the impact
https://i.imgur.com/N6IKPYo.gif
yeah, seeing that view, I agree, this seems to be the case indeed.

chrisc90

In my opinion, Lewis didn’t touch him.

George went in deep, further than he expected due to locking inside wheel.
He was never going to be leaving a car length on the outside for Hamilton if he didn’t collect sainz. You can see from the angle/trajectory of the car that he was always going to be running out wide to the kerb, where he should have been taking the inside line and leaving space on the outside.

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

It's been said a few pages back. Go watch the onboard of Lando and you will see there is enough space between Sainz and Hamilton. They didn't touch at all.
Last edited by ThumbsUp on 25 Oct 2022, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

George was way to optimistic. He really wanted to be in P3 after turn 1. His excuse was he thought Carlos would try to take the outside line. Even if he did, you can’t gamble on that and hope for the best. Perhaps Carlos going inside was a tad agressive, but it could have worked and he certainly had track position to go for it. I think that’s is why they only gave a 5 sec. But that was well deserved.

RZS10

I don't even think Russell's line was overly aggressive, there's enough in the video footage to suggest that - without Sainz' presence - he would have made the corner just fine, even capable of leaving space for his team mate.

This is just before contact, he is near parallel to Lewis, both of their positioning isn't far off that of Norris and the Aston, those two also being near parallel through there.

Norris managed to slow down to avoid running into the back of Russell, so it would be interesting to see the difference in speed at the point where Russell collected Sainz, or even a bit earlier.

Russell didn't just clip Sainz, it was almost a t-bone, but not because Russell came in insanely hot, straightlining the corner or anything, Sainz was the only car which was far out of the expected position, i'm sure he'll look back at this and realize he should have just taken the wide line.

Either way, realistically Russell had little chance to avoid that contact, probably even with Norris' entry/apex speed and positioning, maybe only by going in slow, potentially slower than you'd normally do in anticipation of the cars ahead not being where he expected them to be - it's still on him but he didn't do anything really stupid or wild, it was just unfortunate.

I guess with a bit more data available the stewards came to the conclusion that he was wholly to blame but the circumstances might have played a role in the lenient penalty.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is Sainz mistake. He give space to Russel then all of sudden Sainz turned over fully to over take max and cover Russel. It is a amateur mistake from Sainz. even saiz over took Max, Max will easily over take him in 2 to 3 laps time. Sainz need to realize to get points in race. Next year, will be check point for him. If he does not mature as experienced driver, ferrari will kick him out in 2023. It is like a Ric case for him in 2023.

MattWellsyWells
MattWellsyWells

Russell has to shoulder the vast majority of the blame for this (which he did do in the end and apologised to Sainz) but Sainz has got to look after himself as well in my opinion. Trying to cut back on someone who has overtaken on the inside is fine if there are no other cars around but at a tight first corner there is always going to be another car there. Reminds me of Dan Ticktum in F2 at Bahrain last year who did a much bigger cutback and got wiped out.

Wouter

selvam_e2002 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 15:52
It is Sainz mistake.
Is it? Oh, that is why Russell apologised to Sainz afterwards.
The Power of Dreams!

MadMax
MadMax

MattWellsyWells wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 15:56
Russell has to shoulder the vast majority of the blame for this (which he did do in the end and apologised to Sainz) but Sainz has got to look after himself as well in my opinion. Trying to cut back on someone who has overtaken on the inside is fine if there are no other cars around but at a tight first corner there is always going to be another car there.
That requirement to be aware that other cars are likely to be there is possibly why Russell got a 5s penalty rather than a 10s penalty. By trying the cut back when it's almost guaranteed that another car will be there somewhere is a bit junior formula, isn't it?

Sieper

I'd like to introduce another point, or rather a question. What happened to Daniel's Race/Pace? The McLaren's were struggling, but Norris was able (I think he is really doing a fantastic job) to at least race with the rest (and did come back in the later part) but Daniel just seemed to have a very tough weekend.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 17:06
I'd like to introduce another point, or rather a question. What happened to Daniel's Race/Pace? The McLaren's were struggling, but Norris was able (I think he is really doing a fantastic job) to at least race with the rest (and did come back in the later part) but Daniel just seemed to have a very tough weekend.
He just doesn't jive with something in the cars DNA. Look at Sergio last year and this year, as the car is honed in performance wise he falls back. It's the same issue, they don't do as well with some trait of the car as their teammates do, and when that trait becomes more prominent as the season goes on, they do even worse!
197 104 103 7

dans79 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 17:12
Sieper wrote:
He just doesn't jive with something in the cars DNA. Look at Sergio last year and this year, as the car is honed in performance wise he falls back. It's the same issue, they don't do as well with some trait of the car as their teammates do, and when that trait becomes more prominent as the season goes on, they do even worse!
Even that interpretation is too charitable IMO. PER was within a tenth or two of VER at the start of this campaign. With the new platforms, there clearly exists a world where PER could’ve been close had developments not gone against him. With RIC this has never been the case - not last yr, not this yr; even with the significant ‘22 car changes. This lends itself to the theory that he’s just washed.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

organic

214270 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 18:18
dans79 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Even that interpretation is too charitable IMO. PER was within a tenth or two of VER at the start of this campaign. With the new platforms, there clearly exists a world where PER could’ve been close had developments not gone against him. With RIC this has never been the case - not last yr, not this yr; even with the significant ‘22 car changes. This lends itself to the theory that he’s just washed.
When the car was extremely heavy and ballast couldn't be moved, Perez was close to Max yes. But when all the setup tools that drivers normally have available to them, Max can achieve a balance he prefers and the gaps extend again to Perez. Perez has been quiet about the development going away from him since he got the same floor as Max

Gillian
Gillian

organic wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 18:36
214270 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 18:18
dans79 wrote:

When the car was extremely heavy and ballast couldn't be moved, Perez was close to Max yes. But when all the setup tools that drivers normally have available to them, Max can achieve a balance he prefers and the gaps extend again to Perez. Perez has been quiet about the development going away from him since he got the same floor as Max
Close in qualifying sure, not so much in race unfortunately. A lot like Hamilton - Bottas.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A driver who likes understeer is going to spin out in an oversteery car because he leans on the car at the wrong time. People like Verstappen and Hamilton rotate the car much more at the apex and don't have as much steering angle on the corner exit, so they are not leaning on the car at an inappropriate time. These habits are not easy to change for Perez. He spun out on the corner exit in Zandvoort and Monaco because he is still turning a lot more after the apex.