2022 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2022 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 28 - 30

F1Krof wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 10:51
kediown wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 18:58
I'm interested to see Mercedes' performance here. In theory, they should be closer than they ever will be due to altitude
Aerowise you might be right. But their engine will heat more and produce less power compared to Ferrari and Honda. Also, heating the tyres will be a big issue for them.
last year it was mainly Honda which benefitted due to its larger turbocharger. Not sure Ferrari has any advantage over Mercedes in that regard.

But philosophies also can change, of course. Renault for example altered their turbo a couple of years ago, and thereby lost their strength in Mexico. No idea if anyone did this year.

search

Young drivers coming in for FP1 this weekend:

Alpha Tauri: Lawson, replacing Tsunoda
Williams: Sargeant, replacing Albon
Alpine: Doohan, replacing Ocon
Haas: Fittipaldi, replacing Magnussen

McLaren, Ferrari and Aston will bring in their final driver in Abu Dhabi. For Mercedes (Russell) and Red Bull (Verstappen) it's not confirmed yet where they are schdeuled to sit out, as far as I can see.

Juzh

search wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:10
F1Krof wrote:
kediown wrote:
I'm interested to see Mercedes' performance here. In theory, they should be closer than they ever will be due to altitude
Aerowise you might be right. But their engine will heat more and produce less power compared to Ferrari and Honda. Also, heating the tyres will be a big issue for them.
last year it was mainly Honda which benefitted due to its larger turbocharger. Not sure Ferrari has any advantage over Mercedes in that regard.
That's simply not true. In 2021 mercedes had more straight line advantage in mexico than on any other track, somewhere in the order of half a second, but red bull had more than a second on them in corners (during the race). Honda engine is 100% not to be singled out as the main reason they won.

I think only in 2019 was red bull somewhat competitive in mexico on straights, but that's it. All other years with renault they were nowhere and they only won races due to their car being on a different planet in corners and pretty much the only one able to keep tyres in good condition (yes, even late 2017 RB).

organic

Juzh wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 14:06
search wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

That's simply not true. In 2021 mercedes had more straight line advantage in mexico than on any other track, somewhere in the order of half a second, but red bull had more than a second on them in corners (during the race). Honda engine is 100% not to be singled out as the main reason they won.

I think only in 2019 was red bull somewhat competitive in mexico on straights, but that's it. All other years with renault they were nowhere and they only won races due to their car being on a different planet in corners and pretty much the only one able to keep tyres in good condition (yes, even late 2017 RB).
Well Marko always talks about the Honda turbo advantage before high altitude circuits..

search

Juzh wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 14:06

well, there's more than just high speed. Last yeah Marko even was hoping for a Gasly podium because of Honda, and this Sunday he still said "Altitude has always been an advantage for us because of the extraordinary Honda turbo. I hope this is still the case this year."

dxpetrov

Well, it didnt really help them in Austria, did it?

organic

dxpetrov wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 14:47
Well, it didnt really help them in Austria, did it?
Austria was a bit of an outlier in terms of performance. It's the only race in the entire season where RB chewed their tyres, and clearly things went wrong with setup and maybe even development as they were taking off and putting things on the floor at that point

Hammerfist

I would think heating the tires will be a problem for everyone. Everytime the cars run the high df package the mercedes is always very competitive in quali and race. Well everyone runs high df in Mexico due to the thin air and altitude. Merc will be there or thereabouts. But advantage ferrari for the win imo. I dont expect rbr to have their huge top speed advantage here.

morefirejules08

search wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
kediown wrote:

But philosophies also can change, of course. Renault for example altered their turbo a couple of years ago, and thereby lost their strength in Mexico. No idea if anyone did this year.
Rumour was Mercedes improved their turbo over the winter

mendis

morefirejules08 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 19:30
search wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

Rumour was Mercedes improved their turbo over the winter
Well, one has to take any rumour about Mercedes this year with a truck load of salt. But then, last year they did excel in Mexico (qualifying) and in Brazil. So that would count for something, but with that PU having lost out to Honda and Ferrari this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the PU would struggle again like it did until 2019.

search

search wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:19
Young drivers coming in for FP1 this weekend:

Alpha Tauri: Lawson, replacing Tsunoda
Williams: Sargeant, replacing Albon
Alpine: Doohan, replacing Ocon
Haas: Fittipaldi, replacing Magnussen
+Mercedes: de Vries, replacing Russell

organic

Merc new front wing deflectors not present from what I see

organic

The driver to rise with the car up to the podium again. I like this aspect

organic

I am surprised to see the C2-C4 range this weekend. Just now realized it is the case, whereas always before it was a 1-stop with c3-c5. Strange choice but maybe it'll be backed up by what we see on Sunday.. I fear a 1-stop

AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 23:59
I am surprised to see the C2-C4 range this weekend. Just now realized it is the case, whereas always before it was a 1-stop with c3-c5. Strange choice but maybe it'll be backed up by what we see on Sunday.. I fear a 1-stop
Soft-medium strategy. There's nothing inherently wrong with 1 stopper anymore. With the new cars, you can overtake so the race isn't just decided by who gets the undercut.