2022 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 28 - 30

Spoutnik wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 10:55
Really don't understand the drama around Merc strategy.
1/ Russell was slower than Hamilton on both stint, and apart at the very end of the first stint he was not closing on Perez. Even if he kept the 2nd place at the start Russell would've been overtaken by Hamilton, and Perez. The only moment were he was a bit faster than Lewis was the end of the first stint
Was he? Data shows otherwise if you compare the 2 on F1 tempo. Russel was actually quicker on the hard than Lewis.

Perez was faster than Hamilton in the second stint and was matching Russell also in the second stint.

DGP123

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:34
Spoutnik wrote:
1/ Russell was slower than Hamilton on both stint, and apart at the very end of the first stint he was not closing on Perez. Even if he kept the 2nd place at the start Russell would've been overtaken by Hamilton, and Perez. The only moment were he was a bit faster than Lewis was the end of the first stint
Was he? Data shows otherwise if you compare the 2 on F1 tempo. Russel was actually quicker on the hard than Lewis.

Perez was faster than Hamilton in the second stint and was matching Russell also in the second stint.
Russell’s hards were newer. Ham was keeping Perez comfortably behind, and once he knew VER was out of sight, began to just bring it home. Russell was playing catch up, trying to get into the fight, he was never really going to get into. hence, he then bailed for a fastest lap

chrisc90

DGP123 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:38
chrisc90 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

Russell’s hards were newer. Ham was keeping Perez comfortably behind, and once he knew VER was out of sight, began to just bring it home. Russell was playing catch up, trying to get into the fight, he was never really going to get into. hence, he then bailed for a fastest lap
4-5 laps isn’t a massive offset on tyres though.

I dare bet if you offset the times by the same to account for the newer tyres it would still be the case. Granted less fuel marginally but won’t be a noticeable difference

Wouter

Amazing. (From the Editor @MotorLat.)

The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

To me it is also strange that tire wear exactly balances against fuel burn. Is that something that normally happens, something teams aim for?

organic

Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 14:41
To me it is also strange that tire wear exactly balances against fuel burn. Is that something that normally happens, something teams aim for?
I think Max was just cruising. At Mexico the tyre wear was lower than fuel burn

MadMax

Wouter wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:59

https://i.postimg.cc/W3SB62Ck/screenshot-360-1.jpg
It's what you can do when you have pace to spare in the car. "Driving to a delta" is the usual term for it. They had Hamilton covered so why push the car harder than necessary to cruise ahead of him? Metronomic driving like that is not unique to Max - any decent racing driver can drive to a consistent lap time. I bet he was bored doing it.

Vanja #66

Literally driving to a delta time to keep tyres in optimal range, it's been done during the whole Pirelli era. This just means the car was easily capable of going low 1:21 in the beginning of the stint. Not dominant at all :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

MadMax

chrisc90 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

So how come neither of them caught him / each other and passed him / each other? Actually looking at F1Tempo shows that the all three of them swapped lap times back and forth which was probably as much to do with where they hit traffic on a given lap as anything else.

Wouter

MadMax wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 15:46
Wouter wrote:

It's what you can do when you have pace to spare in the car. "Driving to a delta" is the usual term for it. They had Hamilton covered so why push the car harder than necessary to cruise ahead of him? Metronomic driving like that is not unique to Max - any decent racing driver can drive to a consistent lap time. I bet he was bored doing it.
I didn't expect a different answer from you.
The Power of Dreams!

MadMax

Wouter wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 16:12
MadMax wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 15:46
Wouter wrote:

I didn't expect a different answer from you.
Go on the FIA's website and you can find lap time charts for races galore and you'll find plenty of examples of race leaders driving equally remarkable consistent lap times out in front. It's a skill, yes, but it's certainly not unique to Max.

organic

Russell and Verstappen's compared in qualifying with live gap. Seems maybe T1 and stadium hairpin were where George lost most time

chrisc90

organic wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 19:05

Russell and Verstappen's compared in qualifying with live gap. Seems maybe T1 and stadium hairpin were where George lost most time
Would be interesting to see Russell's final lap where he ran wide in comparison to that one.

Hammerfist

organic wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 19:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsUr2O-orM

Max was gaining so much time under braking. Part of that is these Redbull brakes though. I recall Ricciardo was also insane on the brakes when he was at Redbull. Apart from that it looked like the Merc couldn't keep the tires in the window in the final sector. I love those comparisons.