Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie
0
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

MadMax wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:52 am
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:19 am
Isnt it ironic that people ITT are already slinging passive aggressive digs at each other while pretending to have a moral high ground? It's like they don't even recognize their own retroric. Absolutely amazing.
There is an irony in your own post as you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing. It's OK, we all do it.
Yeah... no. I'm not a part of either extremist camp here and I don't know how you come to your conclusion based on my post. What do I care which Billionaire racks up the most wins and poles, I want to see good racing and excitement. You on the other hand seem very emotionally engaged with the personal success of drivers. You even chose your username to thow shade at one of the competitors. Just something to think about.

DDopey
DDopey
0
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:54 am

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

AeroDynamic wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:11 pm
This belongs in another thread but im seeing a pattern these days, if you say the truth around a certain driver or team, a gag order is occurring; both on this forum or now on television presenters in Sky
The thing I do not like in the behaviour of some fans is fanaticism, it blocks any real or fun discussion while its only about something so non important as F1 (don't get me wrong, I love F1). And that fanaticism is often displayed by for example believing their 'own' truth is the only and real truth.

User avatar
Big Tea
95
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

DDopey wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:15 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:11 pm
This belongs in another thread but im seeing a pattern these days, if you say the truth around a certain driver or team, a gag order is occurring; both on this forum or now on television presenters in Sky
The thing I do not like in the behaviour of some fans is fanaticism, it blocks any real or fun discussion while its only about something so non important as F1 (don't get me wrong, I love F1). And that fanaticism is often displayed by for example believing their 'own' truth is the only and real truth.
If you support one team, you have to hate at least 2 of the closest competitors, its the LAW :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

User avatar
AeroDynamic
337
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

DDopey wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:15 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:11 pm
This belongs in another thread but im seeing a pattern these days, if you say the truth around a certain driver or team, a gag order is occurring; both on this forum or now on television presenters in Sky
And that fanaticism is often displayed by for example believing their 'own' truth is the only and real truth.
if you want to argue that someones's assessment of truth is too subjective, argue it by all means. but if you are just going say it without backing it up, then you are doing the very thing you are criticising other fans of.

its a factual evaluation that one individual I mentioned has been guilty of using his words harmfully towards other drivers and in the media, and on a consistent basis until very recently.

comparing your fellow drivers to being a child, another to a woman's genitals, and a racist term or ableist term for even another driver, is true. as is calling another team cheaters was also true. he also took shots at drivers (outside the heat of the moment), namely one dominant winner.

show me the other drivers who did this as consistently and as offensively between 2016-2019? the driver is known for snipes in the media. otherwise I can only think of Alonso who, by no coincidence, had a hard on for one of the same people. He blackballed hisself with Honda with his silly antics.

User avatar
langedweil
1
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Caribbean

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

There is no discussion anymore nowadays, just monologues. It's just judging from a moral high while losing overall perception, and it isn't F1 .. it's literally everywhere these days.
And if a thought has enough backing, the cancellation process starts immediately. I think i's just a very sad direct side-effect of the connectiveness we experience in these times.
Last edited by langedweil on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
509
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

Some posters have been trying to pass off the problem as an old one and I vehemently disagree. This problem couldn't have existed without the great globabl connectivity that we have now. Content is on demand, Fans are more intermingled and share the same spaces... We see each other all the while.

Been watching F1 from maybe the late nineties but wasnt regumar wastcher till after
Michael retired... And I have never gotten any death threats for supporting a driver the forums.

It's only in the last three years have I received death threats. This is totaly not the same as it was in the past!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

Death threats! 😲

From within this site?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

User avatar
dans79
252
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

Stu wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:11 pm
Death threats! 😲

From within this site?
I didn't get death threats, but i did get an unsolicited expletive ladened pm a few years back that Turbo had to address.
191 103 103 7

wesley123
wesley123
198
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Do they really, though? I mean, the thing that triggered this all was Kravitz describing events at AD last year in the movie sense, contextualized around the announcement of the film/movie studio(idk what exactly was the news surrounding that). Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing, yet it riled everyone up for some reason.

The thing that I see here is a sense of conscience comes into play.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

User avatar
AeroDynamic
337
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

wesley123 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Do they really, though? I mean, the thing that triggered this all was Kravitz describing events at AD last year in the movie sense, contextualized around the announcement of the film/movie studio(idk what exactly was the news surrounding that). Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing, yet it riled everyone up for some reason.

The thing that I see here is a sense of conscience comes into play.
precisely. It seems like someone feels guilty or the truth is getting to them when they have been trying hard to process it and move on as if it was won across the season.

User avatar
chrisc90
10
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

I mean on the contrary to that, if Sky F1 thought that the comments were in line with their policies etc and what not, why havent they released a statement on it? I mean its probably one of the biggest news articles in F1 the last week and a half so you would have thought there would be some official position on it. Its being reported by just about EVERY F1 site online....except for Sky.
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

User avatar
langedweil
1
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Caribbean

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

wesley123 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
HuggaWugga !

User avatar
chrisc90
10
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

langedweil wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:49 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
Agreed. You also have to realistically consider than Max and RB were also a innocent party in the choices of the race director in AD. Granted they benefitted - there was no wrong doing by the team on that part - so not really fair to fire abuse towards them.
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

User avatar
Big Tea
95
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

langedweil wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:49 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
There is a big difference between saying 'He was robbed of a title' and saying "Red Bull Robbed him of his title".
One is an opinion, the other an accusation.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123
wesley123
198
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Is Netflix the reason for "fans" behavior?

Post

langedweil wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:49 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Fanning the flames by the Sky F1 crew doesn't help things either. (Kravitz/Crofty/Lazenby)
Not once in the whole fragment did he accuse anyone of any wrongdoing
But you do understand the weight a word like 'robbed' within that context, right ?
Not parting with any side, couldn't be bothered really, but that's where that blade cut .. and obviously made things more vile than maybe was intended/desired.
Bet if he'd left that out, there would have been no discussion (or at least, not as much) around that.
But who am I ...
Well, if he omitted that word, there wouldn't have been anything.

What he stated was factually true. You can agree with Masi's choice, you can disagree with it etc. But what happened was literally the definition of robbed.

I wonder how many people actually listened to the whole thing instead of just hearing the word "robbed" and instantly grab their pitchforks.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender