2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Nov 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Re: 2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Nov 18 - 20

F1NAC wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 10:25
Dee wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 02:00
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 01:51
Hamilton losing Perez time and eventually being the reason Perez never really got into Leclerc’s DRS zone was just so satisfying to watch!

It was as if karma decided to give Checo a taste of his own medicine for trying way too hard to block Hamilton in 2021 and then getting absolutely no help from his teammate in 2022… :lol:

Vengeance is dish best served cold Checo! You should have known… :wink:

Apparently Red Bull could have easily given Perez that 2nd place in the WDC (not that it means anything) had they just let him through to P1 and let Verstapen take care of Leclerc! But I think Verstapen again was having none of it…

Also Verstapen questioning if blocking Leclerc would have been fair… :lol:
What in earth Max?? Did you forget 2021 already? Oh God, what a hypocrite…
"Also Verstapen questioning if blocking Leclerc would have been fair… :lol:
What in earth Max?? Did you forget 2021 already? Oh God, what a hypocrite…"

You seem to not see that glaring difference

Perez was slow and made a valiant effort to keep Hamilton behind him, including slowing him up

Max who was always fast would have had to slow down to then give Perez's direct rival the DRS which in turn would have given Charles an advantage over Checo and an oportunity to go for the win which would have only increased his points over Perez
Max could easily hold Charles in S3 and then stomp on the gas in S1 and pull 1 second on charles. Easily. Something that Lewis did 2016.
Had Max slowed down imo it wouldn't have guarantied the required result but it would have become a 3 way tangle Max , Perez & Leclerc and anything would have happened but still it was worth a try. sply by lap 54-55 when it was clear Perez wasn't going to overturn 2+ Sec gap and then overtake.

Max wouldn't have cared much but his record 15th win was on the horizon...even if RB had asked he would have said ...i dont give a damn i have my reasons.😂😂.

langedweil

Perez can only blame himself by losing a lap behind Ham when he tried to pass with DRS on the 1st backstraight; you oughta know that chicane is just about positioning, and finish the job at the 2nd one.

Anyway, Lec in 2nd feels quite a bit more fair imho. As if it matters at all ..
HuggaWugga !

Wouter

https://de.motorsport.com/f1/news/worum ... /10403346/
What Tuesday's Formula 1 tire test in Abu Dhabi is all about

At the Formula 1 test on Tuesday in Abu Dhabi, the focus is on the tires: 2023 new structures and a sixth compound will be introduced

"The specification for 2023 is different in terms of the structure of the front and rear axles, especially on the front axle," explains Pirelli chief engineer Simone Berra. "We did a lot of structural work to improve the integrity of the front axle and reduce the front axle pressure specifications a bit compared to what we have now."

All ten Formula 1 teams will field two cars at the test in Abu Dhabi. One has to be piloted by a regular driver, with team changers such as Fernando Alonso and Pierre Gasly being in action for their new racing teams for the first time. A so-called young driver who has not driven more than two Formula 1 races must be used in the second car.

Why the Abu Dhabi test is so important

Drivers and teams take the test drives very seriously, as Alonso emphasizes: "Such tests are always important to familiarize yourself with the steering wheel, to get to know the buttons, pedals and all these little things."

"In addition, next year we will only have one and a half test days in Bahrain, then the new season will start. A day like this Tuesday is therefore golden for such things," says Alonso.

Current C1 becomes C0

For 2023, the rubber compounds of five existing slicks are unchanged from this year, and the key change for next season is the construction.
There will also be an additional sixth tire mix in 2023, with the current C1 becoming the C0
and a new C1 being introduced to fill a perceived gap between the current C1 and C2.

The new tire was tried out by some drivers in Austin's second free practice session, albeit in the form of a blind test where drivers and teams did not know which tire they were running.
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

I wonder how the averages are over the whole season.

EDIT: someone done the hard work for me:

harty71
harty71

James Vowles confirmed what I said at the time, Hamilton didn't suffer any damage and the first lap incident had no bearing on his retirement.

He also confirmed that the reason he lost several seconds in the space of a few laps was because of extreme graining on the front & rears. I can't remember the last time this happened to Hamilton, what could be the cause?

dans79

harty71 wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 22:29
He also confirmed that the reason he lost several seconds in the space of a few laps was because of extreme graining on the front & rears. I can't remember the last time this happened to Hamilton, what could be the cause?
1) He had a big off in turn 1 (not sure what caused it).
2) The off put carlos in drs range for 2 laps and let him by.
3) right after Carlos got buy George was told Lewis pack was low, allowing him to just breeze by.

So I assume he overheated the tires and completely drained the pack(relatively speaking) while trying to fight of carlos.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Could be. The difference in pace was drastical.

harty71
harty71

dans79 wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:12
harty71 wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 22:29
1) He had a big off in turn 1 (not sure what caused it).
2) The off put carlos in drs range for 2 laps and let him by.
3) right after Carlos got buy George was told Lewis pack was low, allowing him to just breeze by.

So I assume he overheated the tires and completely drained the pack(relatively speaking) while trying to fight of carlos.
I think the severe graining gave him no front end for several laps until the wear remedied it, his lap times did stabilize at the end of the stint, still that is very unusual for Hamilton at this state of his career.

dans79

harty71 wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:50
I think the severe graining gave him no front end for several laps until the wear remedied it, his lap times did stabilize at the end of the stint, still that is very unusual for Hamilton at this state of his career.
I've probably watched his onboard 2 dozen times now, he doesn't miss the apex, and the car doesn't understeer or oversteer, it's like it just drifted sideways.
197 104 103 7

harty71
harty71

dans79 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 00:05
harty71 wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:50
I've probably watched his onboard 2 dozen times now, he doesn't miss the apex, and the car doesn't understeer or oversteer, it's like it just drifted sideways.
Didn't he go off twice there in the GP, the only explanation is the tyres.

Vowles did say he redeemed himself on the hard tyres which is more typical of him, he not only had great pace on the hards but great management.

The only thing I can put it down to is that he was more aggressive than usual in the early laps and he messed his tyre management up.

dans79

harty71 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 00:11
The first time was lap 6 or 7 and they showed no signs of graining at that point.
197 104 103 7

harty71
harty71

dans79 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 00:19
harty71 wrote:
The first time was lap 6 or 7 and they showed no signs of graining at that point.
I thought that was about the time he fell off the cliff?

dans79

harty71 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 00:35
dans79 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 00:19
harty71 wrote:
I thought that was about the time he fell off the cliff?
No, that didn't happen until after he fought Carlos for 2 laps and drained his pack.

The off is what gave Carlos drs to attack.
197 104 103 7

caddy
caddy

DId anyone hear this?

It's so painful to see him being asked to stop celebratory doughnuts. He simply says, "Love you too". What an idiotic team of morons. Good for Mick that he doesn't have to go through this mediocrity anymore. No one even said good bye to him over the radio. This is what happens when you have a clown leading the team.

chrisc90

Totally out of order for Haas in my opinion.

Granted they probably needed the car for the tyre test, they were surely likely to have a spare gearbox if it did break