WSBK 2022

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Honda Porsche fan

Re: WSBK 2022

etusch wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 08:32
Honda Porsche fan wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 21:22
Have any of you been following Honda's progress in World Superbike or BSB? I was curious about their struggles, weaknesses and strengths and what really is their cause.

I watched some of the recent World Superbike races and the Honda CBR1000RR-R is performing much better, a top 4 or 5 bike now. During the last race the announcers said the Honda seemed to have a top speed advantage over the Kawasaki now, it's much harder to pass on the straights. So, the Honda has good top end power but is it the midrange and acceleration off corners that is lacking or is it the chassis/handling that is the problem?

Someone on another forum posted this about the Honda's WSBK problems below...

"The Honda has handling issues. It is not able to work with the Pirelli tires, as it was likely developed around the Bridgestones they use at Suzuka. WSBK created Super Concessions to enable manufacturers who qualify to be able to make changes outside the typical range of adjustments in the rules. In this instance, Honda is able to revise front end and (I think) swing arm pivot location more than other OEMs."

Also, off topic, I often times here the announcers in MotoGP, World Superbike and Moto America say that the Yamaha has great corner speed.
I think Honda made 3R version of CBR to compete at WSBK. It's road version is able to make 300 km/h at 4th gear ( insane ) and still there are 5th and 6th. It's 215 hp but in the same time 200 kg weight. I am sure it's race version is little bit more powerfull and little bit lighter. Maybe it's power goes up 240 hp like Ducati but I don't think it's weight go down as low as 140 kg like Ducati Panigale. Weight is very important.
Honda are making Vee block engines for motocycle's too, so I think they should go for it for RR-R Sp and in the same time WSBK version too. That may solve their acceleration issue, if there is some participation of their engine in the deficit of acceleration.
Of course power/weight ratio is not only thing there that affects performance. There should be somethings more. If they can not make tyre work with the bike, tyre has so much affect on the performance that it may cause best bike to go deep down on the grid.
I would have liked to have more news about their developments. I like these kind of things much.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The CBR1000RR-R is a inline 4 engine, not a V4. Is Honda making a V4 for the CBR? If so, any links/sources to confirm this?

Are you sure "acceleration" is a issue for the CBR1000RR-R? From what I read and heard the engine is pretty good. The CBR's problem is the chassis/handling with the Pirelli's. The Honda CBR1000RR-R was designed and tested on Bridgestone's in Japan.

The only bike that seems to work well on all tires is the Yamaha R1.

etusch

no I don't say that. I just say that they can produce a v4 cbr like vfr v4 vtec. they are already making vee engine so why not for cbr too

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... 200_10.htm

Honda Porsche fan

etusch wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 06:30
no I don't say that. I just say that they can produce a v4 cbr like vfr v4 vtec. they are already making vee engine so why not for cbr too

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... 200_10.htm
I'd like to see Honda make a V4 CBR with gear driven camshafts. I wish Ducati put gear driven cams on their Panigale V4.

etusch

etusch

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

etusch wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 21:07
Isnt that a delight!
Hope Kawasaki dont go too black, the lime green is their signature

etusch

it sound quite different compared to road ones. I am surprised about magnetti marelli.
I also like their green colour very much

etusch

The entry lists for 2023 have been unveiled with 23 riders set for the 2023 season as everyone fights it out for WorldSBK glory

With the 2022 MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship now in the history books, attention is turning to the 2023 season which starts in February. The provisional permanent entry list for WorldSBK in 2023 has been released with 23 riders set to take to the track next year when the season gets underway and, while there are no changes at the factory teams, there have been plenty of changes up and down the grid at the Independent outfits.

STAYING PUT: the five factory teams remain the same

After impressive performances throughout the season, Ducati, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and BMW have all opted to remain with their line-ups for the 2023 season. Alvaro Bautista (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati) will look to defend his title using his #19 plate, rather than the #1, and continues alongside Michael Ruben Rinaldi. At runners-up Pata Yamaha WorldSBK Team, 2021 Champion Toprak Razgatlioglu returns to his traditional #54 plate after using the #1 throughout 2022 and he is joined by Andrea Locatelli for a third campaign. Jonathan Rea will also be looking to win the title next year with the Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK as he goes in search of a seventh title, and he is, once again, joined by Alex Lowes.

There is a slight rebranding for the BMW factory team as they become known as the ROKiT BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team with riders Scott Redding and Michael van der Mark aiming to take the new M 1000 RR to the rostrum in 2023. The Honda factory team, Team HRC, will also retain the same line-up as Iker Lecuona looks to build on his one podium from 2022 and Xavi Vierge aims to score a podium finish.

INDEPENDENT TEAM CHANGES: changes throughout the grid

There’s a change at the Bonovo Action BMW team as Garrett Gerloff joins the Independent BMW team from GRT Yamaha, jining Loris Baz who has his second season with the team in 2023. At MIE Racing Honda Team, Malaysian rider Hafizh Syahrin will stay for a second campaign after a strong end to his rookie season and he will be joined by Eric Granado; Granado competed for the team on a one-off appearance in 2020 but will have a full campaign in 2023.

There are some new faces on the 2023 grid as well as some returning faces or motorcycling veterans. 2013 Champion Tom Sykes returns to Kawasaki machinery with the Kawasaki Puccetti Racing outfit, while two-time MotoGP™ race winner Danilo Petrucci will make his WorldSBK debut with the Barni Spark Racing Team.

ROOKIES AIMING FOR IMPACTS: four rookies looking for success

There is also the debut of the GMT94 Yamaha team in WorldSBK, with the team running 2022 WorldSSP runner-up Lorenzo Baldassarri for his maiden WorldSBK campaign. Baldassarri will be joined by his title rival from 2022 as Dominique Aegerter makes the step up to WorldSBK with the GYTR GRT Yamaha WorldSBK Team alongside 2021 Moto2™ World Champion Remy Gardner as the Australian steps across from MotoGP™. Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team return for a second campaign in the Championship, employing the services of 2022 British Superbike champion Bradley Ray. Ray will only compete in the European rounds of the season.

REMAINING THE SAME: staying in place

Italian rider Axel Bassani will stay with the Motocorsa Racing team for the 2023 season as he hopes to continue impressing on the Ducati Panigale V4 R machine, while fellow Independent Ducati rider Philipp Oettl also stays with the Team GoEleven squad for his second campaign in WorldSBK. Czech rider Oliver Konig ended the 2022 season with two points finishes in two rounds and he stays with the Orelac Racing VerdNatura squad for his second campaign

etusch

I think we need WSBK 2023 thread also.
Danilo Petrucci and Remy Gardner debut in WorldSBK, Alvaro Bautista wears #1
https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/1019478 ... 2gHyiauN0g

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

etusch wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 11:24
I think we need WSBK 2023 thread also.
Danilo Petrucci and Remy Gardner debut in WorldSBK, Alvaro Bautista wears #1