Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

check out this merc news:

reliable?? But 3 tenths from the engine would be a nice welcome
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

ajprice
ajprice

F1Krof wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 10:00
zeroday wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 22:14
Another day, another livery color tease by Merc.
I do enjoy them though :D

https://i.imgur.com/Jf3SCQ5.jpg
My prediction is that they're going 'Bold High Contrast' color retro design.
I'm going to go with black, and by that I mean 90% of the car will be unpainted bare carbon :D

zeroday

ajprice wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 13:46
F1Krof wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 10:00
zeroday wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 22:14
Another day, another livery color tease by Merc.
I do enjoy them though :D

https://i.imgur.com/Jf3SCQ5.jpg
My prediction is that they're going 'Bold High Contrast' color retro design.
I'm going to go with black, and by that I mean 90% of the car will be unpainted bare carbon :D
Ahh yes, black. Always iconic when teams use it, which includes bare carbon! I always wondered why all teams just dont go bare carbon to drop unnecessary weight while leaving on the sponsor stickers. Seems way more efficient. Ok sure Ferrari is "unlucky" to be identified with all red, but tbh if winning is more important, then f--- red, f-- the fans...i wanna win by any (legal) means -- one gram at a time.

zeroday

De Jokke wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 13:45

Many sources have been saying this. No clue the originating source though.

mendis
mendis

zeroday wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 13:57
De Jokke wrote:

Many sources have been saying this. No clue the originating source though.
Could be one of us here. :D

Venturiation
Venturiation

De Jokke wrote:

fake and simply impossible

Andi76
Andi76

carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 04:06
ringo wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 00:27
As for the 80s design. I am imagine the current zeropod, but a more rectangular and sloped outer edge.

Basically the two concepts I am suggest have that outer flank to push the air wide, similar to what the big pods are doing on the other cars.

As for the midwing, it will not be needed with the above designs. Just visualize it in your mind. That midwing is there because of the downward slope of the current zeropod. Or if you can do a modification to your current zero pod model, see for yourself.
It won't work because the air just tumbles uncontrollably without barge boards. The sidepods could be made small before because the barge boards cleaned up and adjusted the flow. With barge boards banned this control has to be done by the sidepod and this is where the small pod fails. It can't do the controlling of the air like the other sidepods Not only that but I suspect the mid wings actually makes things worse.
Completely agree, and i can't imagine, at least without bargeboards, a solution for managing the front wheel wake anywhere near as well as with the flowfield that larger sidepods create. It will always be a poor compromise in that regard. Also something like the "outer flank" solution. This would certainly improve it a bit, but ultimately even this solution would be inferior to "big" sidepods in this regard, as the effect would reach less far downstream.

Venturiation
Venturiation

So there is alot of downsides in the zeopods design but what did mercedes engineers find in it that made them want it?

Remember that this is a team of 100+ engineers working on this and each one has tought of the downsides that we are talking about

but there has to be a reason that they want to keep it
Mercedes said that they explored the other teams design ( ferrari and redbull) and binotto said the same about merc but it was hard to make it work
Last edited by Venturiation on 13 Feb 2023, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

djones
djones

Venturiation wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 14:31
De Jokke wrote:

It's not impossible at all.

It could be the engine was having to run detuned all season because of a reliability issue. In that scenario, if there is a reliability improvement it could open up performance.

Venturiation
Venturiation

djones wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 16:27
Venturiation wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

It could be the engine was having to run detuned all season because of a reliability issue. In that scenario, if there is a reliability improvement it could open up performance.
they did say that couldn't believe how the engine didn't break when they saw how much it got hit by the boucning, but every team runs the engine at best they can, no way you can gain that much unless you do a miracle

zeroday

Venturiation wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 16:32
djones wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

they did say that couldn't believe how the engine didn't break when they saw how much it got hit by the boucning, but every team runs the engine at best they can, no way you can gain that much unless you do a miracle
With so many technical problems all season, to compound their problems by running the engine to its optimal allowable level, would have only exacerbated their problems and made it even harder to narrow down the root causes. Logically, when porpoising and seeing their engine "throwing off bits" due to the banging, it would make more sense to tune down the car until the problems are well understood and fixed. Just common sense really.

Luscion
Luscion

zeroday wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 16:51
Venturiation wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 16:32
djones wrote:

With so many technical problems all season, to compound their problems by running the engine to its optimal allowable level, would have only exacerbated their problems and made it even harder to narrow down the root causes. Logically, when porpoising and seeing their engine "throwing off bits" due to the banging, it would make more sense to tune down the car until the problems are well understood and fixed. Just common sense really.

Lewis did an interview with Heikki Kovalainen and said that they did have to turn down their engines to help with the bouncing, so that could very well be the reason for them finding the extra hp.

Last edited by Luscion on 13 Feb 2023, 18:42, edited 3 times in total.

chrisc90

Easy confirmation of that would be speed trap data or traces in the telemetry. Sure some more of our knowledgeable members would know how to do that

Henri
Henri

Venturiation wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 15:54
So there is alot of downsides in the zeopods design but what did mercedes engineers find in it that made them want it?

Remember that this is a team of 100+ engineers working on this and each one has tought of the downsides that we are talking about

but there has to be a reason that they want to keep it
Mercedes said that they explored the other teams design ( ferrari and redbull) and binotto said the same about merc but it was hard to make it work
Car needs to ride low and have small wings.. in spain the car showed what the simulator is saying..they where the fastest on the straights.. but Lewis said the car is still 1sec slower than it should

Venturiation
Venturiation

what could he be talking about? or is it just an ad for the video?