Fully hydropneumatic reactive suspension for road cars

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DOA
DOA

Re: Fully hydropneumatic reactive suspension for road cars

Not Hydropneumatic but there are quite a few electrohydraulic and full electric active systems out there. Valkyrie for example runs an electrohydraulic system with the main limitation there being the response bandwidth (i.e. it only really operates for low frequency motions and even then, lower than originally planned for). To my mind, that is what an active system should target as it reduces the operating window to something reasonable to package/power and lets a traditional spring damper unit do what it is best at.

Most of the electrical systems that I have seen/am aware of are used over the full frequency range a vehicle may see (i.e. as direct actuators to the unsprung mass) and have to deal with inputs from mild road inputs to full on kerb strikes/pothole strikes. As you can imagine, this poses some significant challenges and results in what can only be described as obscene weight penalties, a factor I find particularly offensive when the benefit in real terms is negligable for most end users....