Aston Martin AMR23 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ashwinv16

Re: Aston Martin AMR23 Speculation Thread

Some speculation on design from a bit of snooping
  • Car will use Mercedes's entire rear end components allocation, so Gearbox and Suspension
  • There Is a some possibility of a L-Shaped Sidepods(Higher expectation for Alpine to have this too). Apparently if designed right, you get the low drag benefits of the Red Bull, the Aero advantage of the Ferrari and the Mercedes combined. (This is also the small loop hole everyone talking about, where the sidepods can be stretched out to make it bit to allow air to be diverted away from the rear wheels, but the central tunnel will let the air flow freely to the rear diffuser like the Alpine, in a more extreme way
Halo not as bad as we thought

AR3-GP

It would not surprise me if Ferrari, AM, RB, Alpine all converge on the same sidepod shape.

organic

Oh I can kinda imagine that. Would be cool

Venturiation

Ashwinv16 wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 03:44
  • Car will use Mercedes's entire rear end components allocation, so Gearbox and Suspension
  • There Is a some possibility of a L-Shaped Sidepods(Higher expectation for Alpine to have this too). Apparently if designed right, you get the low drag benefits of the Red Bull, the Aero advantage of the Ferrari and the Mercedes combined. (This is also the small loop hole everyone talking about, where the sidepods can be stretched out to make it bit to allow air to be diverted away from the rear wheels, but the central tunnel will let the air flow freely to the rear diffuser like the Alpine, in a more extreme way
Why didn’t Mercedes do this ?
And can other manufacturers copy the zeropds this year or do you need to change engine shape?
I guess aston is the perfect one with a Redbull/Mercedes hybrid

AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 17:40
Ashwinv16 wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 03:44
Why didn’t Mercedes do this ?
And can other manufacturers copy the zeropds this year or do you need to change engine shape?
I guess aston is the perfect one with a Redbull/Mercedes hybrid
The mercedes would have to adapt quite an interesting transition shape due to the shape of the inlet (which is as it is in order to maintain the mid-wing legality).

Venturiation

AM23 shown in the alonso video

Venturiation

Venturiation wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:13

It looks like an U shaped sidepod

Blackout

As Scarbs pointed out, it seems the upper sidepod lip is 'behind' the lower one, like RB18.
But it seemed to me the upper lip has a U-shape/L-shape indeed

Obviously they changed their rollhoop design + the bodywork around it. The front legs of the triangular structure are now apparent and can act like flow conditioners, because AM sculpted what's behind, like Alpine and Ferrari do.

ScrewCaptain27

Venturiation wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:22
Venturiation wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:13

It looks like an U shaped sidepod
It is not, there is a towel covering a part of the inlet
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

RZS10

Isn't this just some protective drape/cover as it seems to have wrinkles, don't know the proper term, something like a "fender cover work mat"

edit: hah, you beat me to it as i was uploading the image, 'towel' might even be more appropriate :wink:

Blackout

You're right.

Let's remove the towel
:mrgreen:
It kinda looks like the Ferrari 22 inlet, but with a retracted top lip à la RB18
Pic : Hasan Bratic / Sala Stampa

organic

Blackout wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 15:28
You're right.

Let's remove the towel
https://i.imgur.com/Jnd3CDN.jpg
:mrgreen:
It kinda looks like the Ferrari 22 inlet, but with a retracted top lip à la RB18
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fne04IrXEAA ... me=900x900
Pic : Hasan Bratic / Sala Stampa
The front SIS is low: it will be incorporated into the floor of the AMR23, so probably a large undercut more like RB (unlike Ferrari's blunter bathtubs)

Blackout

I was only talking about the sidepod intake ; )

Yes the 23 lower sis seems to be where it was in 2022, more or less
https://f1i.autojournal.fr
Last edited by Blackout on 27 Jan 2023, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Blackout wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 21:40
I was only talking about the sidepod intake ; )

Yes the 23 lower sis seems to be where it was in 2022, more or less
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/wp-content/u ... rtin_0.jpg
Ah yeah if I wasn't clear I wasn't disagreeing with anything you had written, just adding what I could see. Quoted your original post because it contained pictures that I used to make assertions about SIS

RedNEO

AM are one of the few teams actually showing their real 23’ car not just a livery launch which is a relief.