McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 22:13
PhillipM wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 21:51
Okay, the merc-style intercooler pack is on a bench in the background so I guess that answers that one :lol:
Sorry Philip, but for those of us that are not as technically minded as we wish we were… What does that answer?
it implies that Mclaren might have switched to a water-air intercooler on top of the engine (compressed air from the turbo is cooled by water instead of air).

Therefore those sidepod coolers are now filled with water which would explain why the sidepod coolers appear much smaller than last season.

MJIM
MJIM

Managed to get a screenshot of the whole sidepod inlet :D

the EDGE
the EDGE

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 22:16

it implies that Mclaren might have switched to a water-air intercooler on top of the engine (compressed air from the turbo is cooled by water instead of air).

Therefore those sidepod coolers are now filled with water which would explain why the sidepod coolers appear much smaller than last season.
Thanks, some positive McLaren news for a change

It’s things like this they need to get in place before 2025. No point having new toys if you can’t develop the way you want due to bulky side pods

It’s there much of a weight gain with water coolers? Or does the decrease in size balance most of it out

organic

MJIM wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 22:29
https://ibb.co/RS4jtqc

Excellent screenshot. Nice work =D>

MJIM
MJIM

Thanks!
Got a better one now, maybe it's the angle bottom the bottom comes up quite quickly.

PhillipM
PhillipM

the EDGE wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Okay, the merc-style intercooler pack is on a bench in the background so I guess that answers that one :lol:
Sorry Philip, but for those of us that are not as technically minded as we wish we were… What does that answer?
Well, this:
PhillipM wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 01:07
You know I only spoke to someone today, about the only thing I got out of them is they've been looking at the microtube intercoolers the same as Merc use - but wouldn't actually say if they're using them or not.
There's one in the background by the car launch so I guess it's a confirmed switch to the Merc style microbore intercoolers:

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 22:55
the EDGE wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Well, this:
PhillipM wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 01:07
You know I only spoke to someone today, about the only thing I got out of them is they've been looking at the microtube intercoolers the same as Merc use - but wouldn't actually say if they're using them or not.
There's one in the background by the car launch so I guess it's a confirmed switch to the Merc style microbore intercoolers:

https://i.imgur.com/JCMWHZ2.png
Ah… I see

Well… I don’t see actually… is that still taken from the fire-up video? I’ve watch like 3 times specifically trying to see that shot.. and I can’t

That’s an incredible catch, I’m off to specsavers!

So not just any water cooler then… is it Merc’s system or a version they’ve designed themselves. Are coolers listed parts?

MrGapes

small initial glimpses of Gearbox casing looks overall more narrower and squared compared to last year.

Can see a bit of the lower wishbone as well, seems slightly lower...

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

MJIM wrote:

Doesn't this look more like a Ferrari style sidepod? Looks like it's going back when moving from the center of the car outward.

organic

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 04:30
MJIM wrote:

Doesn't this look more like a Ferrari style sidepod? Looks like it's going back when moving from the center of the car outward.
It matches up with the singapore update sidepod inlets almost perfectly (if not perfectly)

_cerber1

I don't remember this being before

f1rules
f1rules

with scarbsF1 great picture, seem mclaren allowed themselves a lot of room for a big undercut if wanted,also if we consider angle of the radiator. One of the interesting things for me will be if they changed the front suspension geometry to try and strenghten the frontend. Or if the weakness has indeed only been aero related.

compared to last year where a lot was moved forward the sis

_cerber1

I think McLaren couldn't afford what they wanted because of the safety structure, I expect it to be lower this year.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

haza wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 20:58
_cerber1 wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 19:59
haza wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 20:53
I’m hoping the car is not as draggy though part of me suspects most of the straight line deficit came from the PU there were rumours the Mercedes PU was slightly underpowered due to the new fuel
I do not think that there is any significant lag in the motor, in Monza Mercedes and McLaren were quite fast. We simply do not have the former advantage in the motor, as it was in previous years.
Is there an engine freeze in affect this year im sure there was but I’ve seen that Ferrari has an extra 30hp coming to there units im hoping merc can squeeze abit out the 23 PU
I read a comment on a forum (unfortunately I can't recall which one) also claiming Ferrari found 30hp from reliability upgrades. It also mentioned Mercedes finding 16hp, Honda, was a bit less than Mercedes, while Alpine remained the same. As always, with these forums, you take it with a pinch of salt.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

Im unsure about the sis rules, if there is a specific placement inline with the cockpit, but if the upper sis i placed in around the same area as last year, mclaren seem to have moved like his, and with less cooling capacity needed there is room for packaging other components. Where they placed the new intercooler will be interesting, i hope centerline behind the cockpit as i think merc did.
Basicly it was just complete wrong what they did concept wise last year. Moved everything forward to keep cock bottle and filled the space under the sidepod with electronics for to use the sidepods for outwash. Now they can move everything back, to give space for undercut, and hide all the elctronics under the big sidepod ramp

_cerber1 wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 09:47
I think McLaren couldn't afford what they wanted because of the safety structure, I expect it to be lower this year.
https://ibb.co/jfNXZsL
Last edited by f1rules on 26 Jan 2023, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.