2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wvkc9nhe

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 07:36
dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 07:29
wvkc9nhe wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:48

I believe the key advantage for Red Bull now lies in the improvement of the engine's thrust-to-weight ratio. It should be noted that RB19 is now 20KG lighter than it was at the start of the RB19 season, which translates to a gain of 0.6 seconds per lap.
The MGU-H, which is not subject to energy exchange restrictions, as stated in the F1 technical regulations.

They built a great car, the weight isn't why they are fast.
I have a theory that I'm working on...

Could some portion of the performance be coming from just running with less fuel due to Honda's incredible PU efficiency?
The MGU-H, which is not subject to energy exchange restrictions, as stated in the F1 technical regulations.

mendis

dialtone wrote:
wvkc9nhe wrote:
mendis wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 06:32
In races, they are a second and half ahead of next best car. It's really crazy that such a dominance is not based on a silver bullet (atleast not known yet). Mercedes lobby was to handicap the RB19 with changes to floor and diffuser. But it appears, that has hurt others more than RB. Replicating a silver bullet is easy, but to replicate the whole performance philosophy in a different design is a mammoth effort and a huge challenge to the collective wisdom, experience and expertise of the competing teams
I believe the key advantage for Red Bull now lies in the improvement of the engine's thrust-to-weight ratio. It should be noted that RB19 is now 20KG lighter than it was at the start of the RB19 season, which translates to a gain of 0.6 seconds per lap.
No it doesn't :). There's a minimum weight, the 20kg lighter translates to better balance of the car as they can put ballast low and where they need it to get the weight distribution they want.

In relation to competition, that 20 kg weight reduction wouldn't necessarily increase the gap as others have also made progress in that area. Some might have more than others and maybe Mercedes might have made bigger progress than RB. We don't know. SO it's still a mystery that the car as a whole package is so far ahead without any visible silver bullet.

dialtone

wvkc9nhe wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:02
dialtone wrote:
wvkc9nhe wrote:

No it doesn't :). There's a minimum weight, the 20kg lighter translates to better balance of the car as they can put ballast low and where they need it to get the weight distribution they want.

Thank you for your reply. Of course, I am aware that there is a minimum weight limit for F1 cars. It was admitted by Red Bull's internal engineers at the end of last season that at the beginning of the 2022 season, Red Bull was over the minimum weight limit by an exaggerated 20 kilograms, and even at the end of the 2022 season, it was still overweight by 10 kilograms. However, at the beginning of the 2023 season, Red Bull has reduced the weight to the minimum limit. Around the 2022 summer break, Red Bull successfully reduced the weight by 10 kilograms without a major aerodynamic upgrade, resulting in a significant performance boost. This year's Red Bull design is a continuation of last year's, but if they can reduce another 10 kilograms, they will have domination on par with Mercedes' W11.
Ah ok got it, I got confused because you wrote the "RB19 is lighter than the RB19 at start of season" (both RB19 in that sentence). And since I already heard RB19 was at weight I thought you meant it was going under weight.

Yeah certainly helps in that case.

Henk_v

Additionally, if they're 1% more effecient, they are real hero's. Thats 1kg of fuel saved.

wvkc9nhe

mendis wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:14
dialtone wrote:
wvkc9nhe wrote:

In relation to competition, that 20 kg weight reduction wouldn't necessarily increase the gap as others have also made progress in that area. Some might have more than others and maybe Mercedes might have made bigger progress than RB. We don't know. SO it's still a mystery that the car as a whole package is so far ahead without any visible silver bullet.
According to consistent reports from the media, Ferrari was approaching the minimum weight limit at the beginning of the 2022 season. This means that they were on par with Red Bull, who had a car that was 20 kilograms heavier. After losing 10 kilograms before and after the summer break, Ferrari fell behind completely, and Red Bull openly admitted that much of their upgrades last year were due to weight loss. So, it's pretty clear. As for the Mercedes engine, from the perspective of Saudi Arabia, the tail speeds of their camp's teams in qualifying were collectively at the bottom. Martin suffered greatly from the disadvantage of the engine on long straightaways, which will not be discussed here.

ME4ME

dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 07:43
...while Marko may say Ferrari has the better engine, everything else is better in the RBR.
Thats not what he reportedly said though, lets be precise. He said most powerful, not the best.

Accounting for all aspects of the package, especially reliability, efficiency and deployment, I think Red Bull is very very happy with the Honda PU.

wvkc9nhe

ME4ME wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:51
dialtone wrote:
...while Marko may say Ferrari has the better engine, everything else is better in the RBR.
Thats not what he reportedly said though, lets be precise. He said most powerful, not the best.

Accounting for all aspects of the package, especially reliability, efficiency and deployment, I think Red Bull is very very happy with the Honda PU.
I think this is Dr. Marco's poisoned milk for his opponents. Because we have seen Ferrari's performance at the Saudi station, where 80% of the track is full-throttle, whether it's qualifying or the race, their lap times on the straight are significantly slower than Red Bull's.

Henk_v

Well, after a season of 100% ICE reliability, one could imagine they programmed some heftier engine maps to try, while ferrari may not yet dare to seek any limit.

Bill

wvkc9nhe wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:55
ME4ME wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:51
dialtone wrote:

I think this is Dr. Marco's poisoned milk for his opponents. Because we have seen Ferrari's performance at the Saudi station, where 80% of the track is full-throttle, whether it's qualifying or the race, their lap times on the straight are significantly slower than Red Bull's.
honda deployment is pretty impressive,Tsonoda holding off Mag with drs for multiple laps was the highlight of the race,Brudle think Rbr are quicker on the straight because of trick drs system ,what he fails to understand is team bring multiple iterations of rear wing so such tricks will be hard to execute.redbull should have done more to help alpha ,they are dominating while their sister team is failing to break into top 10.giving them their suspension will be good way to start.they are old engineers who worked during ground effect period ,i dont understand why some team dont use them as consultant.redbull and ferrari have Newey and Bryne respectively.

Henk_v

If AT had played their cards right and not kept their pride from getting result, they could have easily been in AM's spot. If they'd just bought as much of the RB19 parts as they could and copied the RB18, they could have easily gotten RB18 or better performance. Heck, I bet RB would leave a whiteboard unwiped occasionally for them.

Bill

they are limits as to how far you can go with parts ,u cant just bring a pink merc

Sevach

Bill wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 09:35

honda deployment is pretty impressive,Tsonoda holding off Mag with drs for multiple laps was the highlight of the race,Brudle think Rbr are quicker on the straight because of trick drs system ,what he fails to understand is team bring multiple iterations of rear wing so such tricks will be hard to execute.redbull should have done more to help alpha ,they are dominating while their sister team is failing to break into top 10.giving them their suspension will be good way to start.they are old engineers who worked during ground effect period ,i dont understand why some team dont use them as consultant.redbull and ferrari have Newey and Bryne respectively.
With rumors that Red Bull(the company) wants to let go of AT it doesn't surprise me that they are so bad right now.

Some things might change in the company now that "sports enthusiast" Mateschitz has passed, RBR is capable of self sustaining now under budget cap, prize money, sponsors, marketing profits, the upcoming deal with Ford... surely they are operating in the blue.

AT and the junior programme... attract a lot less money and aren't bringing a whole lot to the table.

etusch

Henk_v wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:52
If AT had played their cards right and not kept their pride from getting result, they could have easily been in AM's spot. If they'd just bought as much of the RB19 parts as they could and copied the RB18, they could have easily gotten RB18 or better performance. Heck, I bet RB would leave a whiteboard unwiped occasionally for them.
Thats what I am surprised most when I see new AT this year. I thought they will go pull rod suspeinsion at front by designing almost same car with redbull at sesond year of this formula.

Bill

Sevach wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 12:18
Bill wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 09:35

With rumors that Red Bull(the company) wants to let go of AT it doesn't surprise me that they are so bad right now.

Some things might change in the company now that "sports enthusiast" Mateschitz has passed, RBR is capable of self sustaining now under budget cap, prize money, sponsors, marketing profits, the upcoming deal with Ford... surely they are operating in the blue.

AT and the junior programme... attract a lot less money and aren't bringing a whole lot to the table.
honda should buy them and all those engineers leaving ferrari will find a home at alpha,if they want to sell team at high price they will need to improve results

basti313

etusch wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 12:39
Henk_v wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:52
Thats what I am surprised most when I see new AT this year. I thought they will go pull rod suspeinsion at front by designing almost same car with redbull at sesond year of this formula.
Well, I rather suspect that they want to have different concepts. AT had a relativly flat car close to the ground last year, maybe this is already an indication why RB was so confident to change the concept.
And they certainly do not want to copy tricks to the AT. Having the nice toys on four cars just doubles the chance the opponents find out what is relevant.
Don`t russel the hamster!