2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Bill wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 11:42
they are limits as to how far you can go with parts ,u cant just bring a pink merc
Correct, but AT have started using less and less of RB's parts and making more of their own.

With that, lower performance has come

Bill

apparently its cheaper for customer team to make some parts themself than buy from main team,how i dont know

organic

Bill wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 16:39
apparently its cheaper for customer team to make some parts themself than buy from main team,how i dont know
Yeah so in theory the customer can make their own parts which will be almost as good as RB's and save a bit of money, but clearly this money saved isn't worth the loss in performance.

IMO they should take as many components as possible and just copy RB/AMR.

AR3-GP

Bill wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 16:39
I think it's because the FIA increased the cost of bought parts.

Henk_v

If as a team you have an in-house competence, you cant just go and buy that stuff. You have hired people with specific skillsets, invested in tools and laboratory equipment. No qualified person will sit out a year hoping next year he/she may design something. Your engineers will walk and you lose the competence. You end up with a lot of stuff and equipment that is instantly reduced to scrap value.

Keeping AT valuable, means keeping AT complete.

organic

Henk_v wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 19:23
If as a team you have an in-house competence, you cant just go and buy that stuff. You have hired people with specific skillsets, invested in tools and laboratory equipment. No qualified person will sit out a year hoping next year he/she may design something. Your engineers will walk and you lose the competence.
Buy the components and hire more aero guys instead of suspension designers etc

Henk_v

Thats a nice fantasy. I'm not sure if you've ever been involved in layoffs from a management perspective.

organic

Henk_v wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:19
Thats a nice fantasy. I'm not sure if you've ever been involved in layoffs from a management perspective.
I mean.. every team laid off tons of employees during the switch to budget cap?

Aero is exactly where AT are lacking...

Henk_v

Thats your perspective.

A team owner with potential intentions to sell will look at it differently.

A team with the infrastructure to design a full car (ex engine) may be more valuable than an aero office and purchasing office.

You also forget about the physical infrastructure. Designing a suspension takes a lot of hardware to validate the design.

Im pretty sure you never managed (part of) a company. Layoffs are a big money drain and will really, really hurt a business. How motivated would you be if you knew you were gone the second management thinks they can buy better stuff than the stuff you put your sweat, tears and hefty over hours in...

AR3-GP

In hindsight, I think RB made a mistake with Max's strategy if they wanted him to win the race.

They should have started on the soft tire. Look at what Leclerc did. Leclerc had good pace.

Ultimately, it came down to not making enough progress before the SC (which meant he still had 2 cars ahead of him on the SC restart). Max spent too much time behind the two Haas at the beginning. Struggling with the dirty air and oversteer. A softer compound would have stuck the car to the road a bit better.

They used this strategy in Spa. I'm not sure why they didn't try it here.

Henk_v

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 06:00
In hindsight, I think RB made a mistake with Max's strategy if they wanted him to win the race.

They should have started on the soft tire. Look at what Leclerc did. Leclerc had good pace.

Ultimately, it came down to not making enough progress before the SC (which meant he still had 2 cars ahead of him on the SC restart). Max spent too much time behind the two Haas at the beginning. Struggling with the dirty air and oversteer. A softer compound would have stuck the car to the road a bit better.

The tire difference was very small for Verstappen through practice. He even beat the field on hards. I think they were exactly trying to avoida LEC situation; a too short stint on softs and having to pit before a SC would come in.

If they were gambling people, they could have pitted him on softs under the SC. That would have given him a shot in getting Perez. He could have maybe gotten out of the DRS and go into management. If the tires would give way in the final 5 laps or so, he would have forced the team in a gnarly position, forcing team orders against him and could have betted they'd let him lead.

toraabe

Henk_v wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 10:52
AR3-GP wrote:

The tire difference was very small for Verstappen through practice. He even beat the field on hards. I think they were exactly trying to avoida LEC situation; a too short stint on softs and having to pit before a SC would come in.

If they were gambling people, they could have pitted him on softs under the SC. That would have given him a shot in getting Perez. He could have maybe gotten out of the DRS and go into management. If the tires would give way in the final 5 laps or so, he would have forced the team in a gnarly position, forcing team orders against him and could have betted they'd let him lead.
And then this https://racingnews365.com/rosberg-criti ... ood-to-see
Like his father. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... P-win.html

With that childhood, I am not surprised..

chrisc90

Nothing wrong with not being happy about being second. Although it is still a good achievement, given the starting position.

Sports-person don’t go out to compete to be second best. The aim of competing is to win. 24 teams don’t compete in a football league to not aim to win. Olympians don’t do the Olympic Games to try and come 2nd.

What I’d say is that is a good mentality from Max, he’s there to win, and will give it his all to be that overall winner, both in races and the overall WDC.

The important bit is to not let the ‘defeats’ bring you down. Which I don’t think affects Max. He will comment about it, but I don’t think it wears him down in the slightest.

PS - that daily Mail article about Jos not congratulating Checo is proven to be wrong.

Wouter

toraabe wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 11:54

And then this https://racingnews365.com/rosberg-criti ... ood-to-see
Like his father. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... P-win.html

With that childhood, I am not surprised..

If you post information here, please post information that is correct and not incorrect information to make someone look bad! :roll:

In the article from Racingnews365 you posted they wrote:

"Rosberg also claims that Verstappen skipped a team meeting on Saturday after the driveshaft failure.

He added: "It is not good to see. We were also told he skipped the team meeting [on Saturday] apparently."

Horner told Max to skip the team meeting because he was stil feeling not well so he could rest before the race on Sunday!!

What a disgusting article from the DailyMail, exactly as the magazine is known for: gossip and incitement.
They stop the video just before Jos and Vermeulen congratulate Perez with a smile!!! Coincidence? I don't think so!
At the photo Jos and Vermeulen were watching Max and Alonso who parked their car on the wrong place.
His face has nothing to do with Perez!

Last edited by Wouter on 21 Mar 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Curbstone

AR3-GP wrote:

I don't understand, in hindsight I conclude Red Bull made the perfect call. I see Leclerc losing out because of the softer tire. Yes he made good progress in the first stint, but that stint was short which made him pit before the SC. And Verstappen made better progress, he was on Leclerc's tail before Leclerc pitted while starting further back.
Max won places during the SC, Leclerc lost places.
There is no guarantee Max could have kept his softs in better shape than Leclerc.