2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

CMSMJ1 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:19

I'm hearing rumour that Kalex are making a chassis for HRC - have you heard anything? Seems to be a massive deal if that is true (and if it works!)
I didn't hear anything about that but I am quite surprised by reading your post. If that is true it is such a big change with Honda working style. Because they are so detirmined to make everything in house. We were surprised enough with Kalex swing arm move of Honda.

( I knew that they build a search grup at USA to find out new technologies around the world which are appliable their jobs. But this is more than I expected. )

etusch

In fact, already at the Misano test last September, the Japanese manufacturer used an aluminium swingarm made by the Germans - keeping it in the following races and winter tests.

Now, according to SPEEDWEEK.com, the collaboration has been extended to the chassis itself. This has been a problem area in recent seasons, and the Japanese engineers are unable to find a solution to the riders' liking - particularly Marc Marquez, who reportedly rejected the latest evolution introduced at the Portimao tests.

Thus, Kalex will have been approached to redesign the Honda RC213V chassis - which is a time-consuming task, as General Manager Alex Baumgärtel made clear in October. At the time, he recalled that the first Moto2 chassis required nine months of work before the first test.

If the renewed chassis by Kalex for Honda goes ahead, it is expected that only at the Jerez test on May 1 this novelty could be tested for the first time; or days earlier at the Spanish GP on the same circuit, where Honda test rider Stefan Bradl could be present if he participates with wildcard status.
What you can read in this link already shared above.
https://www.motorcyclesports.net/articl ... s-to-kalex

https://www.gpone.com/en/2023/03/15/mot ... assis.html

CMSMJ1

etusch wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 12:03
In fact, already at the Misano test last September, the Japanese manufacturer used an aluminium swingarm made by the Germans - keeping it in the following races and winter tests.

Now, according to SPEEDWEEK.com, the collaboration has been extended to the chassis itself. This has been a problem area in recent seasons, and the Japanese engineers are unable to find a solution to the riders' liking - particularly Marc Marquez, who reportedly rejected the latest evolution introduced at the Portimao tests.

Thus, Kalex will have been approached to redesign the Honda RC213V chassis - which is a time-consuming task, as General Manager Alex Baumgärtel made clear in October. At the time, he recalled that the first Moto2 chassis required nine months of work before the first test.

If the renewed chassis by Kalex for Honda goes ahead, it is expected that only at the Jerez test on May 1 this novelty could be tested for the first time; or days earlier at the Spanish GP on the same circuit, where Honda test rider Stefan Bradl could be present if he participates with wildcard status.
What you can read in this link already shared above.
https://www.motorcyclesports.net/articl ... s-to-kalex

https://www.gpone.com/en/2023/03/15/mot ... assis.html
Aye, very interesting indeed. HRC have always been a powerhouse and innovator. Perhaps they lost their way due to the overwhelming talent of Marc Marquez. Similar perhaps to how Ducati failed to realise their 2008-9-10-11 bikes were poor as it was Casey Stoner making them win previously!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

etusch

They are trying to improve chassis for 3 years and still could not achieved. So they really need a new aproach and a new eye to see what is wrong. I read something that says that as long as they could not achieve there is increasing panic in the engineering team. If new chassis brings what they are seeking they will be relaxed and will work more efficiently. I think being relaxed gives better working and inventing ability. This is highly visible at ducati and apprilla and new things they are bringing.

etusch

How is a Kalex chassis made?

etusch

Another version of news.
Kalex will apparently build chassis for the Honda RC213V in 2023
The Honda RC213V since it was radically revamped in 2021 continues to be a difficult bike. In order to sort the problems out, Honda is again going to Kalex for help for the 2023 Season.
It was already in 2022, when Honda went Moto2 chassis manufacturer Kalex for help. Kalex build a brand new swing-arm for Honda. Now, apparently Kalex will also build chassis for Honda.
Honda apparently contacted Kalex to build a aluminium chassis even before the last years test in Valencia but decided to continue with the Honda "in house" made ones. Honda still brought in chassis with modified stiffness to this years test in Portimao. Marc Marquez was according to SpeedWeek not happy with the "home" made chassis from Japan. This is why Honda apparently went back to Kalex to build them chassis. However the chassis will apparently not be made until the race weekend in Jerez.
This means that the swing-arm and chassis will be made by Kalex. Together with the new exhaust system of Akrapovič, Honda only produces the engines and gearboxes themselves in Japan as one of the main features.

etusch

2023 MotoGP Season Tire Regulations

etusch

fp1 first 10

AMG.Tzan

etusch wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 13:36
fp1 first 10

https://i.ibb.co/p2zpxLB/firstten.jpg
Looks nice but I think the frontrunners all went out with new tires!

M. Marquez I think was on 14 laps used ones!

Am I right??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

AMG.Tzan wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 16:05
etusch wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 13:36
fp1 first 10

https://i.ibb.co/p2zpxLB/firstten.jpg
Looks nice but I think the frontrunners all went out with new tires!

M. Marquez I think was on 14 laps used ones!

Am I right??
I only could watch last 15 minutes and from a spannish stream. So I don't know. It is almost 0.9 slower compared to best time at testing. So what you said maybe true. Their tyre allocation also lesser so it maybe important to be fast with used ones. Or practising with used ones.

etusch

etusch

FP2 Times.

Wouter

etusch wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 10:00
Pol Espargaro was thrown from his KTM (GASGAS) at Turn 10 of the Algarve International Circuit in the closing stages of free practice. The Spaniard crashed heavily before violently shooting through the gravel pit and hitting the guardrail. The session was immediately halted and Espargaro was attended to on the track by medical personnel. The Tech3 rider was conscious.

After nearly half an hour, Espargaro was taken away in an ambulance and transferred by plane to the hospital in nearby Faro for further monitoring.
It was later determined that he suffered a lung contusion, a jaw fracture and a fractured vertebra.
The Power of Dreams!

xaero

MM on pole =D> =D> Fantastic effort.
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

AMG.Tzan

Marc Marquez is truly alien!

The guy is doing miracles on the worst bike of the grid. The way he was getting bleached on the straights by everyone at the front reminded me more of a Yamaha than a Honda!

12 laps all on the absolute edge and only got beaten by a bike 0,7 secs a lap faster around the lap! Not to mention his pole lap coming from absolutely nowhere! Can’t even think of him on a Ducati…

The guy is Godlike already…

-Shame for Mir…a bit silly crash
-Miller looks stunning on the KTM
-Bagnaia played with Martin and managed the whole race really cleverly!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis