2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
pursue_one's

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Alex_Z wrote:
27 May 2023, 18:18
Did Russell not have an extra soft like Hamilton or did he make a mistake? He had the better of Lewis until the last run
"We were so close to Ferrari and Fernando and I tried for more, but went slower by trying too hard - overdriving and paid the price," George told SkyF1 after the session.

atanatizante

The updates hence qualy results were compromised also due to not being able to bring the 2023 rear wing (doesn't get enough down force for this track) and we're forced to use the barn door 2022 rear wing, which isn't the optimized rear wing for this new package hence the balance issues resulting in an unsettled car that needed many wheel corrections from both drivers regardless the setup changes they're in ... of course Barcelona will be a better updates assasments
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

DGP123

Can’t complain with 4th & 5th. Russell pretty lucky this weekend following the rain intervention, penalty and mistake. Not sure why Russell was moaning on the radio, other than trying to make out to the audience he was quicker than Lewis, which he hasn’t been all weekend. Lewis comfortably keeping him at arms length.

Fastest lap also a nice little bonus.

torpor

Just 1 point behind AM in Constructors.
2nd place behind dominant RB would be an ok season result.

Hammerfist

Russell actually got ahead Because of them having to pit ham a second time for inters but threw it away with the mistake. Then he started moaning about being stuck behind Lewis who was managing the gap to ocon but then Lewis left him for dead after that to the tune of .11 sec in 19 laps.

The Alpine was fast around Monaco. Surprise of the weekend for me. Great job by these guys especially Ocon.

PlatinumZealot

Fastest lap in the rain is a good sign.

George has a boring habit of artificially closing in on Lewis and asking for team orders, only for his tyres to burn out soon after. Not sure what he gets from doing this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:09
? He set fastest lap on new hards.

Tvetovnato

Don’t understand why they didn’t put Lewis on hard tyres as well in the first stint. It’s quite often a great strategy, gives you much more options as was showed again with George. Especially on this track, where you can start on wooden tyres and still block anyone trying to pass you off the line with these wide cars…

El_KaPpa

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:09

George has a boring habit of artificially closing in on Lewis and asking for team orders, only for his tyres to burn out soon after. Not sure what he gets from doing this.
Mind games mixed with getting what he wants. He's trying to pressure Hamilton's garage into making choices that would help him out by making it seem like he has the upper hand.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

AR3-GP

At this point, what the drivers were doing is irrelevant.

I don't know about you all, but I feel like there's been a fair bit of PR polished press regarding this upgrade. Hamilton is doing his best to put on a positive face but honestly if you look at how he struggles to really say it's better after the race today....It reminds me of all the carefully worded statements when the W14 first launched, only to find out Hamilton was saying it was mostly the same problems as last year, as the season wore in.

I'm not sold on the upgrade package at all. Time will tell. Hamilton won't hide his dissatisfaction for much longer.

torpor

Please don't forget that Monaco is probably the most unsuitable track to introduce a new specification. Just wait and see!

f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
28 May 2023, 18:49
At this point, what the drivers were doing is irrelevant.

I don't know about you all, but I feel like there's been a fair bit of PR polished press regarding this upgrade. Hamilton is doing his best to put on a positive face but honestly if you look at how he struggles to really say it's better after the race today....It reminds me of all the carefully worded statements when the W14 first launched, only to find out Hamilton was saying it was mostly the same problems as last year, as the season wore in.

I'm not sold on the upgrade package at all. Time will tell. Hamilton won't hide his dissatisfaction for much longer.
Sorry but way way too early for any such type of judgement and I've not seen much PR about it.
Monaco isn't really the place to evaluate a new package and not have chance to set it up correctly.

Lewis didn't look dissatisfied at all

ValeVida46

f1jcw wrote:
28 May 2023, 18:58
Sorry but way way too early for any such type of judgement and I've not seen much PR about it.
Monaco isn't really the place to evaluate a new package and not have chance to set it up correctly.

This.

Never understand why Mercedes upgrades or press releases should be treated with more scrutiny or reverence than other teams.
Was a good result for the team today, but by christ you wouldn't know it reading some of the comments.

f1jcw

ValeVida46 wrote:
28 May 2023, 19:19
f1jcw wrote:

This.

Never understand why Mercedes upgrades or press releases should be treated with more scrutiny or reverence than other teams.
Was a good result for the team today, but by christ you wouldn't know it reading some of the comments.
Ocon being in front was annoying as couldn't see if he could stay in touch with Alonso, but even if could it wouldn't have meant much around Monaco

AR3-GP

ValeVida46 wrote:
28 May 2023, 19:19
f1jcw wrote:

This.

Merc is the one who wrote an apology letter to fans after finishing P4 and P6 in Bahrain...