Any racing series allow MMC pistons and other super alloys?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Honda Porsche fan

Re: Any racing series allow MMC pistons and other super alloys?

Hypothetically speaking, if F1 allowed super alloys to be used by engine manufacturers what specific types of alloys would be preferred over current alloys?

Are there alloys superior to MMC for pistons?

If super alloys could increase the durability of parts and increase their service life could teams save money on the long run by not replacing engine parts as often? In F2, they were having some reliability issues with Mecachrome engines. Could stronger alloys be used to make an engine last an entire season between rebuilds? Any way to get a race engine to last at least 20,000 miles/32186 kilometers before a rebuild?

gruntguru
gruntguru

je suis charlie

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Honda Porsche fan wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 23:51
Hypothetically speaking, if F1 allowed super alloys to be used by engine manufacturers what specific types of alloys would be preferred over current alloys?
Are there alloys superior to MMC for pistons?
so-called beryllium pistons were for light weight etc for very high rpm - not strength at very high temperatures

so-c super alloys/superalloys are about high strength at very high temperatures (says Wiki) - not light weight
TO SELF (but when I ask 'is Vascomax 300 a superalloy' suppliers instantly try to imply what they think I want to hear ??)

are superalloys banned from F1 turbines ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 17 Feb 2023, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

a bit heavy
doesnt matter about the rules

Honda Porsche fan

Is AlBeMet stronger than the irons (grey cast, CGI, ductile) in terms of tensile strength and fatigue strength at high temperatures?

Zynerji

The ceramics are more interesting.

TNTHead

I know that the mini engine from dutch mini engine builder Metkemeijer has pistons made out of an alloy with very high Sillicium content. Don't know the exact alloy but it is said to be more advanced than F1 pistons
https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/py ... etkemeijer

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Honda Porsche fan wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 02:29
Is AlBeMet stronger than the irons (grey cast, CGI, ductile) in terms of tensile strength and fatigue strength at high temperatures?
with iron the inertial load stresses will be bigger than the combustion load stresses even in turbo-hybrid F1
AlBeMet will have low inertia load stresses because of its far lower density

these irons are hopelessly weak anyway
has the piston cost been capped at $5 ?

Honda Porsche fan

Tommy Cookers wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 13:16
Honda Porsche fan wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 02:29
with iron the inertial load stresses will be bigger than the combustion load stresses even in turbo-hybrid F1
AlBeMet will have low inertia load stresses because of its far lower density

these irons are hopelessly weak anyway
has the piston cost been capped at $5 ?
My bad, I did not specify which part of the engine I was referring to for irons. I was referring to the engine block and cylinder heads for irons.

I thought I'd ask this question to have a little fun, If you guys could build a engine with stronger more advanced alloys than what currently is allowed, which alloys for each specific part of the engine? Remember, only 3 engines per season, so they need to be durable.

Cylinder block and heads?
Pistons?
Piston rings?
Valves?
Connecting rods?
Camshafts?
Bearings?