Haas VF-23 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
continuum16

Re: Haas VF-23 Speculation Thread

trinidefender wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 19:53
continuum16 wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 18:40
Typical bucket of confusion from Haas: missing suspension elements, weird car design that doesn’t make any sense. What I would take from this is, like others have suggested, they probably will keep the bathtub sidepods, because they conveniently left the top blank black like last year.

Hopefully they post one or two pictures from the shakedown and it’s not another RB18 scenario where finding a clean image is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
"Weird car design that doesn't make sense?"

What in the world does that mean. Also odd considering it's just a render and not the actual car.
I mean the fact that they remove things like suspension elements, brake ducts etc. It’s not weird because of anything that it has; it’s just the combination that makes it weird. Like, it’s not the 2022 car; the front wing, rear wing, and floor all look like the spec 2022 FOM car. The actual chassis looks like it might be the VF-22, but the sidepods aren’t the same (they seem longer to me). The engine cover is unique.

I say weird because I find it odd that they would cobble together a 3D model of a franken-car with mis-matched elements, rather than just use their 2022 car. This “car” is weird to me because it seems like a lot of effort for little gain; I know it’s not the real one :D
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

kediown

organic

Alpine short chord front wing, and they've committed to the bath tub bellies/Ferrari philosophy all the way. The airbox horns are softly curved now

It's the real 2023 car, right?

And the Haas suspension will tell us what Ferrari are doing

Vanja #66

From that photo looks either pull-rod or no-rod :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

continuum16

Other than the front wing flaps I see very little different to the updated 2022 car. It’s not the greatest angle but maybe the front suspension is different as well? Good news is there’s a shakedown tomorrow so hopefully we will get a better clue.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

continuum16 wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 18:34
Other than the front wing flaps I see very little different to the updated 2022 car. It’s not the greatest angle but maybe the front suspension is different as well? Good news is there’s a shakedown tomorrow so hopefully we will get a better clue.
The floor is the most important detail. It is where the most performance comes from. A budget team like Haas would have spent all the resources on the floor.

continuum16

For sure, and the giveaway of the floor edge is conveniently not seen, but I think this is the 2022 car. There are a few reasons why I think this:

Although this is the non-updated version, this was the best top view I could find of last year’s car.

1) The front wing planform shape looks a lot like what we see here, with the short-chord Alpine look.

2) To me these do not look like the 2023-spec wide mirrors; the mounts etc. are the same.

3) Haas said previously that drag reduction was a big priority for them, which seems like it would involve a lot of top-body aero changes rather than underfloor; to me all the top-body aero here looks the same as the late-season version.

Could it be the 2023 car and just the angle making it look like the 2022 one? Sure, but I wouldn’t bet on it
- Mark Twain

organic

Kmag with the tactical placement. Covering the bit that was interesting in the renders :lol:

Found another angle

The hump is real, I guess caused by extremely tight bodywork combined with Ferrari PU's wastegate exhaust layout?

Seems overall the previously released shots were very accurate all-in-all

The shark fin is very stepped (like 5 steps!!), and the sidepods are more scalloped than the vf-22's and the louvre placement seems more refined / more ferrari-like with a swoop across the bathtub section, sidepod inlets also more ferrari-like which seems to be a convergence across many teams on the grid

They have adopted a similar outboard fence shape as the other top teams, abandoning their simple squarer design which they had all season.

Car looks a lot better than last year with the new livery & sponsors

Blackout

And rear suspension looks very similar to last year. Top wishbone leading arm and pullrod (very) swept forward

Blackout

organic wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 10:35
sidepod inlets also more ferrari-like which seems to be a convergence across many teams on the grid
But it seems to me the upper lip is a little bit retracted :P

Vanja #66

Not unusual for Haas to have the bodywork looking like evolution of last year's Ferrari. Looks like keeping the outwashing sidepods is a safe bet for floor performance with a drag penalty they are willing to pay. Rear wing is quite shallow, so hopefully they will have at least 3 RW designs + Monza spec.

I like the sculpting around gearbox and wastegate, as well as floor edge details. Good looking car, decent amount of details, hopefully they can keep the upward momentum of last year...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

zioture
zioture

Here's the sidepos
@HaasF1Team
very similar to the F1-75 also in the rear pay attention to the optical effect of the white line the overall dimensions are similar. Change the inlet and the more advanced gills #Techf1

ME4ME

Love the team photo. Finally two proper, dependable drivers. No controversial title sponsor. Good looking livery. Detailed developed-looking car. Lots of smiling people.
Such contrast with previous years.

jumpingfish

organic

Blackout wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 11:40
organic wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 10:35
sidepod inlets also more ferrari-like which seems to be a convergence across many teams on the grid
But it seems to me the upper lip is a little bit retracted :P
Excellent spot I put a good photo of that on the newly created vf-23 thread