2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Otromundo wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 23:49
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 15:22
I think unfortunately it’s top level management failure. I don’t wish to generalise but French (part Parisian) culture can make them quite aloof/arrogant. More emotional decision making than rational thought processes. Having worked near Paris for more than a year I’ve seen it happen all too often sadly. A lot of peacocking with lack of introspection.

To get to the top you need characters like Marko/Stroll Snr/Lauda and I’m afraid quite often the people who end up in senior positions in this sport are ones who’ve been around a long time. Get promoted into a position of “first incompetence” where their skill set just doesn’t match with the job requirements
Totally agree with your point of view. I have very good French friends, I really like to visit France and I admire many French things. But for some strange reason too many times the French seem to like being nasty and arrogant. Especially in Paris and surroundings.
In this case, there is also the stinginess of Renault with its investments in F1, which perhaps is the product of being a state property with the traditional added bureaucracy that has been the cause of the disaster with the Piastri contract, for example.
As a climax the personality of Esteban José Jean Pierre Ocón, of undeniable Spanish descent... and therefore more French than anyone... who ended Alonso's patience. The worst to end up unbalancing the team. And now the chickens have come home to roost ...

You remember that jean Todt ?
Formula One World Constructors’ Championship with the Scuderia Ferrari (8): 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008 (106 Grand Prix wins)
Formula One World Drivers' Championship with the Scuderia Ferrari (6): 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 (Michael Schumacher), 2007 (Kimi Räikkönen)

I don't want to say where both your thought are sourced from.

Some people have it and others don't. It doesn't really matter where they're born, well except that sometime more people from certain countries are drawn to a sport cause of the popularity of the sport in that country.

JordanMugen

Otromundo wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 23:49
In this case, there is also the stinginess of Renault with its investments in F1
This is the only thing that is certain. Renault did not invest that heavily in 2016-2020 before the budget cap, when they had the opportunity to implement a "win at any cost" approach without any sporting restrictions preventing this.

Granted they did upgrade Enstone (and Viry) a little, but nothing like to the level of what you might call a "win at any cost" approach.

Sevach

organic wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:26
I imagine a lot will be in performance bonuses - most of them very attainable. Lots of sports teams do this sort of contract nowadays for various reasons
If Alonso signed on a heavy "per point" salary the man might be heading to his most lucrative season yet.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 22:09
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:25
peewon wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:12

Any source for that because thats what I thought Alpine offered him and AMR offered something similar to his previous contract of $20m/yr.
I'd heard it on F1 TV I think... but here is another.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/fo ... 29372866
Ive seen some contradictory numbers elsewhere in the 15-20m range...

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1009303/1 ... n-contract

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122302/t ... worth.html

No clue which is accurate. If Alonso decided to take a pay cut it wouldnt be shocking. But being offered less than Ocon really stung him.
I have no doudt that if his base salary is $5 million, that there are incentive payouts that can earn him alot more than what he made at Alpine.

organic

Fast in sector 1 and yet competitive on the straights.. bodes well! Ocon was slow due to clipping issues in FP1

JordanMugen

If Victor Martins wins the F2 championship, where do Alpine indeed to place Martins in Formula One? :)

Do they have a plan? (They must have plan after the unacceptable Piastri sabbatical, surely?)

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 12:41
If Victor Martins wins the F2 championship, where do Alpine indeed to place Martins in Formula One? :)

Do they have a plan? (They must have plan after the unacceptable Piastri sabbatical, surely?)
There aren't any seats from teams willing to run rookies. With regards to Alpine's own F1 lineup, it's still early to tell.

The irony in all this, is that Piastri's fight to avoid going to the rebuilding Williams, he walked into what's going to be a several year rebuild at McLaren. Alpine seem to have a really good young group of engineers being guided by Fry's wisdom.

Let me add that McLaren let Fry go to make room for Key.

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 13:14
There aren't any seats from teams willing to run rookies. With regards to Alpine's own F1 lineup, it's still early to tell.
So there is no plan and Martins would have to take a sabbatical from racing if he wins the F2 championship? :|

No plan for Doohan either, one presumes. Both drivers to the Alpine LMDh project?

JordanMugen

Ocon at fault for Albert Park team collision or racing incident? Thoughts?

Motörhead

Could we see Gastly on a ban? Joining the race track dangerously?

proteus

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 09:40
Their fragile relationship is almost certain to shatter. They are both known for elbowing out too much, so it is a bit ironic they tangled with each other. Ocon especially has an ability to collide with his team mates (Perez, Alonso, now Gasly).
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Alonso Fan

JordanMugen wrote:
racing incident, ocon saw a gap, gasly didn't see ocon. unfortunate because gasly drove a great race especially
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RedNEO

Alonso Fan wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 15:22
JordanMugen wrote:
racing incident, ocon saw a gap, gasly didn't see ocon. unfortunate because gasly drove a great race especially
I actually found it reminiscent of Ocon/Alonso near misses into walls last year in Jedda and Hungary. Both times Alonso got out of the throttle to avoid Ocon putting him into the wall.

This time the roles were reversed but either Gasly chose to be oblivious or just got flustered because it’s pretty ridiculous to join the track from an off and not expect any cars to be near you or look in your mirrors.. and Ocon for his part could have done what Alonso did last year and backed out but he kept his foot in. In the end I think both drivers were stubborn and this was the result.

peewon

It's a racing incident with two drivers whose awareness is not at the levels of the elite drivers.

factory_p

Gasly had cars all over him, poor visibility from the low sun, poor grip from his excursion onto the grass... He was bound to make contact with someone. Very unfortunate it ended up being Ocon. But then again, that restart saw > 6 cars ending up in the wall, gravel traps, spinning or cutting through the grass. It was lottery and Alpine lost out.