2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Alpine has supposedly sold 25% of the team to AutoNation who is a long term sponsor of Andretti Autosport

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2023/05 ... avalimani/

AR3-GP

FW17 wrote:
03 May 2023, 18:57
Alpine has supposedly sold 25% of the team to AutoNation who is a long term sponsor of Andretti Autosport

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2023/05 ... avalimani/
This is not inherently problematic. Mercedes has several owners.

diffuser

They've mentioned last year that they would be diluting Alpine F1 shares to create distribution of Alpine road cars.

Otromundo

Well, given the special circumstances of the last few races and how relatively tricky this circuit seems...finishing P2 in the middle of the table with similar times and with one Mercedes in front and the other behind... seems very good to me. A plus point for the Alpine guys.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Otromundo

The neighbors have recharged their batteries. They have improved a lot and despite their tire anxieties for the race they have done a very good job. They have returned to normal, let's see if they pass and get away from McLaren soon. It doesn't seem difficult to do.

JordanMugen

Wonderful pace from Alpine! Great to see the upgrade working nicely and a proud double points finish for the French national team! :)

That was a very strong race indeed from Gasly and Ocon. Good to see the upgrade unlocked! A nice points score against rival McLaren's non-score too.

In yesterday's news, Laurent Rossi demands improvement from the squad:
I did not like the first grand prix, because there was a lot of – I'm sorry for saying this – amateurishness, which led to a result that wasn't right. It was mediocre, bad. And the last race in Baku was tremendously similar to the one in Bahrain. That is not acceptable.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpi ... /10466272/

It goes without saying that Alpine F1 team is being moulded into a slick championship-winning operation over the 100 race plan.

AR3-GP

What happened in Bahrain again?

diffuser

Gasly said he was having to do a Huge amount on Fuel saving at the end of the race, lost places cause of it. Not sure how they get themselves into that kind of position. Obviously, the race was much more competitive than they were expecting. The car is a slower version of the Ferrari, atleast for now, in that it's faster in quali than it is in race pace. In high degradation tracks it struggles with tire wear.

diffuser

If they didn't have the Australia Disaster, they could have atleast 28 points now. Bahrain is a rear limited track and that's Alpine weakness. They haven't improved that from last year. Saudi race, they weren't fast enough to overtake the Ferrari... That leaves us with Baku. If the crash in Australia didn't force their hands with the upgrades, the disaster in Australia didn't occur, they should have done without the upgrades in Baku. No way to tell how they would have done without them, couldn't be worse.
Last edited by diffuser on 08 May 2023, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Otromundo

diffuser wrote:
08 May 2023, 15:16
If they didn't have the Australia Disaster, they could have atleast 28 points now. Bahrain is a rear limited track and that's Alpine weakness. They haven't improved that from last year. Saudi race they weren't fast enough to overtake the Ferrari... That leaves us with Baku. If the crash in Australia didn't force their hands with the upgrades, the disaster in Australia didn't occur, they should have done without the upgrades in Baku. No way to tell how they would have done without them, couldn't be worse.
Very interesting. Thanks for the contribution, so I can be more attentive to its evolution. I really like knowing these details, I suspected that they had a tire problem but the successive disasters they have suffered had distracted me from the matter.

NAPI10

Rossi fires warning of consequences.....what action can he take?
Apart from firing Otmar; I don't think of any other measure.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
08 May 2023, 20:47
Right....

Dumbest thing he's done...Did they not know they could be let go if they screwed up?

peewon

Seems like the table is being set in the media for canning Otmar by Rossi. I think its a good move as long as it is accompanied by bringing in some high level technical talent as well.

JordanMugen

NAPI10 wrote:
08 May 2023, 20:47
Laurent Rossi:
I don’t enter a competition and reset my objective because it’s easier. The team managed to get fourth. They have the means to get fourth, more so than others. I want them to be fourth. If they don’t, it’s going to be a failure.

If they fail by giving 500% best and turning this ship around, there will be extenuating circumstances and it bodes well for the future. If not, it’s the rule of business, there’s going to be consequences. And I won’t wait until the end of the year. The trajectory is not good. We need to fix the mindset of the team ASAP.

He is responsible for the performance of the team – that’s his job. There is no hiding here. Otmar was brought in to steer the team, through the season and the next seasons towards the objectives that we have, which is to constantly make progress, as we did in the first two years – fifth and fourth – and to get to the podiums and therefore, this is his mission to turn this team around and bring it to the performance that we want.

We had a team that performed reasonably well last year, got the fourth position which is the best improvement we had in a long time. It showed a lot of promise. It’s more of less the same people so I don’t accept that we are not capable of maintaining that.

Yes, it is Otmar and the rest of his team as Otmar alone doesn’t do everything, but the buck stops with Otmar. It’s Otmar’s responsibility, yes.

Enstone has never had as much resources at their disposal for a continuous number of years. The runway here is 10 years. There will never be a time where the team will be short.

Aston have less engineers than us, as far as I know. They don’t have their own wind tunnel yet, they don’t have their plant running at the moment. They hyper-charged development by having the right people joining them. It shows that it’s down to creativity and efficiency. It’s the rule of the game, we know that. So no, I’m sorry, I don’t buy the resource excuse.
https://racer.com/2023/05/08/szafnauers ... struggles/

Is the 100 race plan for championship victory still on track with just over 50 races to go? :?:

AR3-GP

Otmar is being lined up as a patsy. He's probably part of the problem, but he's not all of the problem.