2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2023, 02:34
Otmar is being lined up as a patsy. He's probably part of the problem, but he's not all of the problem.
Yeah, I find Otmar to be completely incompetent but I think their problems predate Otmar. However, getting ready of him is a step in the right direction. If it's the only change then it probably won't make too much difference in terms of performance.

Enstone
Enstone

Growings rumors : Binotto to replace Otmar !

I think the biggest problem is not Otmar, but the kind of Management impusled by Rossi !

100 GP but with no fighint spirit, and with the same people they had since 2016... nobody wants to join Enstone, they want to be at AMR/McLaren even at Mercs, the biggest problem is here !

diffuser

Enstone wrote:
09 May 2023, 16:02

I think the biggest problem is not Otmar, but the kind of Management impusled by Rossi !

100 GP but with no fighint spirit, and with the same people they had since 2016... nobody wants to join Enstone, they want to be at AMR/McLaren even at Mercs, the biggest problem is here !
Now that would be a step in the right direction. He's just as likely to land at McLaren with his old Freind Stella, might be keep the seat warm. Then there is also Audi , which is closer to where he's from. Actually He probably has had offers from all 3 teams and AMR.
Last edited by diffuser on 09 May 2023, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Enstone wrote:

You watching F2 or something ? Cause there isn't anyone left from 2016...
Laurent Rossi   - Alpine CEO
Otmar Szafnauer - Team Principal
Pat Fry         - Chief Technical Officer
Matt Harman     - Technical Director
Bruno Famin     - Executive Director, Viry-Châtillon
Davide Brivio   - Director of Racing Expansion Projects
All hired post 2019.

Enstone
Enstone

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2023, 16:41
Enstone wrote:

All hired post 2019.
You watching hockey or somethin ?!

Have you a little idea about the organisation inside the factory both at Enstone & Viry ?!
Even Grosjean was telling recently that some people at Enstone, remains the same as when he was there in 2015... and there lack of FIGHTING SPIRIT and competences to lead Alpine to the top !

All the people you've listed are part of the management, i'm speaking about the 895 other persons working for Alpine... that's a bit more complicated than Hockey :wink:

FW17

Binotto is likely not going to be available till 2025, thanks to Ferrari

Also doubt if he would be willing to go to the UK. I see his future more at Audi or even Alphatauri (a team that needs to reinvent itself)

diffuser

FW17 wrote:
09 May 2023, 18:22

Also doubt if he would be willing to go to the UK. I see his future more at Audi or even Alphatauri (a team that needs to reinvent itself)
I ruled them out cause of announced signing of Laurent Mekies as AlphaTauri Team Principal.

If the UK is out then the only remaining team is Audi. Unless he goes to ATR as CFO

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2023, 20:09
FW17 wrote:
09 May 2023, 18:22

I ruled them out cause of announced signing of Laurent Mekies as AlphaTauri Team Principal.

If the UK is out then the only remaining team is Audi. Unless he goes to ATR as CFO
CTO you mean?

diffuser

Enstone wrote:
09 May 2023, 18:07
diffuser wrote:
Enstone wrote:

All hired post 2019.
You watching hockey or something ?!

Have you a little idea about the organisation inside the factory both at Enstone & Viry ?!
Even Grosjean was telling recently that some people at Enstone, remains the same as when he was there in 2015... and there lack of FIGHTING SPIRIT and competences to lead Alpine to the top !

All the people you've listed are part of the management, i'm speaking about the 895 other persons working for Alpine... that's a bit more complicated than Hockey :wink:
Of course I watch Hockey ...and Baseball!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alons ... t/5883557/Alonso said there was alot of young hires when he visited Alpine in march 2021.I think that's serving them well, you need a mix of Young and Old. Alot of those 895 are manufacturing and I don't see any problems with how fast they can manufacture. It's on management to make sure they have the right people in the right places. They come from other teams and should know how to grade a person based on past accomplishments.

All that being said, I only have 3ird hand information on the going's on at Enstone and how talented their people are.

JordanMugen

Enstone wrote:
The idea that it is the fault of a simulator engineer, mechanic or a machinist for Alpine not winning is ridiculous. :)

Retaining that depth of F1 experience is important rather than not important!

diffuser wrote:
All hired post 2019.
Pat Fry is a good technical director and the least of Alpine's problems IMO. Firing Fry would be grossly unwise. Fry has only just had the chance to do a new chassis for 2022/2023 (and get rid of constraints of the 2019 Chester-led monocoque) and finally receive an engine in 2022 that is not down on power.

JordanMugen

With a comment like this, surely Mr. Szafnauer is heading out the door?

Otmar Szafnauer:
It hasn’t been a smooth start to the season and maybe that’s why he (Rossi) made the comments. But I have to read them.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/10/al ... er-threat/

It seems similar to how Szafnauer was not familiar of the details of Piastri's (Not) "Legally Binding Heads of Terms Agreement" having not actually read it.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2023, 21:23
Enstone wrote:
The idea that it is the fault of a simulator engineer, mechanic or a machinist for Alpine not winning is ridiculous. :)

Retaining that depth of F1 experience is important rather than not important!

diffuser wrote:
All hired post 2019.
Pat Fry is a good technical director and the least of Alpine's problems IMO. Firing Fry would be grossly unwise. Fry has only just had the chance to do a new chassis for 2022/2023 (and get rid of constraints of the 2019 Chester-led monocoque) and finally receive an engine in 2022 that is not down on power.
Fry's name was only mentioned because he's newish, not cause we're questioning his ability.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Alpine can be happy to have someone like Fry.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I feel Rossi is right to sound the alarm, anyone within there should be able to take that and focus on the outcome as primary action in each of their decisions. It is a reasonable way of generating a more concise outlook from all working there.

He's put no specific pressure on any individual that's not commensurate with their emplyed position, that is inclusive not divisive. Each has a platform to understand what that means for them as individual. They appear capable, last years development throughout the season was pretty decently focused in terms of chassis performance and drive toward their target. This year's engine development seems to have better contained the reliability issues that too often occurred last year.

The bit about making the same mistakes twice though, Ocon would be top of my list as you could have written that he'd end up in a crash with his team mate as inevitable. He needs to grasp that even for his own career, however it is explained after the fact, he needs to take responsibility for himself to prevent that, whoever is in the other car.

BassVirolla

To me, it smells like Rossi is a very demanding boss, without giving the people the necessary resources, be it Otmar or Budkowski.

That middle finger starts to get sense...

After Budkowski leaving, Renault / Alpine has only got worse, with a slight better 2022 because of the foundations laid by Budkowski in the technical side of things.