2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-upgrade/
A523 behaves as expected
"The goal was to drive as low as possible in the rear and thereby generate more downforce. We have developed some new ideas to achieve this. We can now drive lower than last year,"
"We have prepared a nice package for the coming weekend, which should allow us to improve again. You will also see a few changes from the outside Hopefully that should help us get closer to third place - or take it already," said Harman optimistically.

Mansell89
Mansell89

These guys are an intriguing car for the opening weekend aren’t they. A quiet, deliberate confidence about them - they may take a good step forward with the race setup and package.

They looked pretty untidy but you get the impression from soundbytes that they were very much testing with a view to the season as opposed to the Bahrain GP.

Will keep a close eye on the engine performance too as the only Renault powered team and of course the new water pump reliability-led change.

factory_p

Whatever their true performance will be, Alpine's approach in testing this year is for sure keeping us on our toes ahead of this 1st GP.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Gasly has been quicker all weekend. Impressive stuff from the young frenchman.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 18:38
Gasly has been quicker all weekend. Impressive stuff from the young frenchman.
He seems to have come out of his shell a bit even more than when he was at AT, and with that confidence maybe he can become quicker. I do worry about his confidence leading to bullishness and a clash with another driver....

EJ22B
EJ22B

Alpine should think bringing in a senior aerodynamicist from RB or Merc. It's clear the current aero group is the limiting factor as they always ends up producing a conservative car.

Matt Harman and Pat Fry have done a good job in providing a good platform packaging wise but still the aerodynamic detailing wise the A523 isn't comparable to the AMR23 or the SF23.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Well that all came crashing back down to reality unfortunately. I really thought they had a weapon this year.

All around a very poor session from Gasly, and Ocon only managed P9. This will be a dark season for Alpine. RB/Merc/Ferrari/AMR are in a league of their own. P9 and P10 will be the best they can hope for on average, with higher positions only if leading teams have incidents.

ali623
ali623

Zero relative progress to last year, early days, but that’s how it looks. What was the point in them talking up expectations?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ali623 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:12
Zero relative progress to last year, early days, but that’s how it looks. What was the point in them talking up expectations?
I have no idea. Probably they didn't like all the hype Aston Martin was getting after promising that they would beat Aston Martin this year.

Aston Martin are in another league.

matervam
matervam

I have been with this team from 2003. 2005 and 06 were good. Since then team spirit has gone. I'm thinking that nobody cares anymore. Just paycheck every mont and 5 years plan promises. I'am geting old and frustrated (I drive Renault)😆

xReVo
xReVo

I think that's what they deserve after kicking out Abiteboul, Budkowski and Prost. Last year they had a championship against Alonso, in Melbourne he could have taken pole and the car broke down, in Canada we saw all his frustration punching the steering wheel, after they had totally got the strategy wrong, in Austria they made a mistake fit the tire, until Alonso can't take it anymore in Hungary and signed for Aston Martin (his luck). Then if their ambition after finishing the championship in 4th place is to reconfirm 4th place again, it's simply a loser's mentality. Renault is a disappointment and they even betrayed Alonso. And it hurts me because I have Renault in my heart.

Neno
Neno

There is a lot of wrong doings in Enstone. It's hard to pin point who is exactly to blame. It's not just one person. And all new facilities, all investments and hiring over 300 people feel now like huge waste of money. I dont think even making internal changes and shuffling anymore can help situation. It's just a big f mess. I dont think anyone wants to hear that. But that an actual fact and situation in what Alpine is right now.

Renault as manufacturer completely botched their re-entry in F1 in 2016 and since then done only marginal improvements. And had nowhere near improvements or achievements since then to call this stint success. They are simply unable to build fast F1 cars anymore. My personal opinion is there is not enough talented people, designers in Enstone who know how to do it. And over years they were unable from management stand point recognize and hire people who know how to build fast cars.

At this point selling a team would be best case scenario. Because I dont see anything changes in next month, next year, next decade or even next century.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Neno wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 14:15
There is a lot of wrong doings in Enstone. It's hard to pin point who is exactly to blame. It's not just one person. And all new facilities, all investments and hiring over 300 people feel now like huge waste of money. I dont think even making internal changes and shuffling anymore can help situation. It's just a big f mess. I dont think anyone wants to hear that. But that an actual fact and situation in what Alpine is right now.

Renault as manufacturer completely botched their re-entry in F1 in 2016 and since then done only marginal improvements. And had nowhere near improvements or achievements since then to call this stint success. They are simply unable to build fast F1 cars anymore. My personal opinion is there is not enough talented people, designers in Enstone who know how to do it. And over years they were unable from management stand point recognize and hire people who know how to build fast cars.

At this point selling a team would be best case scenario. Because I dont see anything changes in next month, next year, next decade or even next century.
The issues start from the top. De Meo should have recruited Dan Fallows and Eric Blandin and a bunch of the people who went from Mercedes HPP to RBPT. Instead, Aston Martin took Fallows and Blandin, and RB took the Merc PU people.

Why would people like Blandin and Fallows choose a customer team rather than a works outfit like Alpine to try and push it up the grid. Before the transfers, Racing Point and Alpine were both middling teams. Why didn't they pick Alpine, a team who controls it's only engine supply and has it's own windtunnel?

There's a serious lack of ambition in every move this team continues to make, from the signing of Ocon for 4 years, to losing the Alonso-Piastri lineup, the hiring of Otmar, the inability to look attractive to very talented technical staff, and the lack of investment. Everything they've done since the beginning of the hybrid era has been "too little too late" and it ends up costing them more to do things shoddily the first time, and then have to do an overhaul of a bad design the next year. People like to make excuses about the resources of the big 3, but Aston Martin put paid to that.

Some will say Aston Martin don't make this and that and buy this and that, but the reality is you only take the hit on the investment in a gearbox and a suspension in the first year of the new regulations (As long as you were incompetent enough to build the wrong design from the outset, which is what Alpine did...). From the second year onwards you shouldn't need to spend any more money on those components beyond small refinements. Alpine shouldn't have had to "redesign" their suspension in the second year, after "redesigning it" for the first year. That's incompetence. Everything smacks of "not good enough". The trajectory of this team does not make sense. They don't have a "do anything it takes to win" attitude otherwise they would have bought out Ocon's contract in order to keep Alonso and Piastri.

Alpine/Renault realized that the marketing still works even if they aren't the best and the team makes money too. There's no motivation to seriously change that I see. Engineering isn't special. Drivers aren't special.

If they are serious, they will start a big recruitment campaign from Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Aston Martin and start looking towards the 2026 regulations.

dfegan358
dfegan358

I have to agree overall. Alpine seem to be going nowhere fast. I would have no faith in them challenging the top teams in the next few years

max_speed
max_speed

xReVo wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 02:15
I think that's what they deserve after kicking out Abiteboul, Budkowski and Prost. Last year they had a championship against Alonso, in Melbourne he could have taken pole and the car broke down, in Canada we saw all his frustration punching the steering wheel, after they had totally got the strategy wrong, in Austria they made a mistake fit the tire, until Alonso can't take it anymore in Hungary and signed for Aston Martin (his luck). Then if their ambition after finishing the championship in 4th place is to reconfirm 4th place again, it's simply a loser's mentality. Renault is a disappointment and they even betrayed Alonso. And it hurts me because I have Renault in my heart.
Quite spot on. This is what bad leaderdhip does to you. Alpine lacks ambition and agression to become top team. They are just in F1 to make up for numbers. Rookies did better than Ocon today.