2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 06:56

This "Alpine believed a 2022/23 'Terms Sheet' dated in November 2021 constituted a "valid contract between Piastri and Alpine for the purposes of a race driver role in the 2023 and 2024 F1 seasons," RacingNews365.com understands." Alpine gets from THEIR lawyers and it was wrong.
I mean thats what they claimed after the fact but the fact that their lawyer was telling Webber that the contract was coming shortly suggests they knew they didn't have one in place. Rossi himself had given a deadline for the contract to be delivered which they missed. They literally had to amend the title of the term sheet to make it look like a contract.

I believe they wanted Alonso for cheap for 1 year and Piastri in another car (Williams) for that year and then make their decision between them after that. In order to pull this off they were stalling for as long as possible. I dont think it was a case of misunderstanding.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 07:36
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 06:56

This "Alpine believed a 2022/23 'Terms Sheet' dated in November 2021 constituted a "valid contract between Piastri and Alpine for the purposes of a race driver role in the 2023 and 2024 F1 seasons," RacingNews365.com understands." Alpine gets from THEIR lawyers and it was wrong.
I mean thats what they claimed after the fact but the fact that their lawyer was telling Webber that the contract was coming shortly suggests they knew they didn't have one in place. Rossi himself had given a deadline for the contract to be delivered which they missed. They literally had to amend the title of the term sheet to make it look like a contract.

I believe they wanted Alonso for cheap for 1 year and Piastri in another car (Williams) for that year and then make their decision between them after that. In order to pull this off they were stalling for as long as possible. I dont think it was a case of misunderstanding.
Amr got Alonzo for $5 million, not sure about bonuses though.

yepp4

When he signed people were talking more around $20 million per year for Alonso at AMR (which was around what he had at Alpine?), if he is really around 5, it means he was really scared not to have a seat and signed in a rush to secure his future.

101FlyingDutchman

I think unfortunately it’s top level management failure. I don’t wish to generalise but French (part Parisian) culture can make them quite aloof/arrogant. More emotional decision making than rational thought processes. Having worked near Paris for more than a year I’ve seen it happen all too often sadly. A lot of peacocking with lack of introspection.

To get to the top you need characters like Marko/Stroll Snr/Lauda and I’m afraid quite often the people who end up in senior positions in this sport are ones who’ve been around a long time. Get promoted into a position of “first incompetence” where their skill set just doesn’t match with the job requirements

peewon

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:12

Any source for that because thats what I thought Alpine offered him and AMR offered something similar to his previous contract of $20m/yr.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:12
diffuser wrote:

Any source for that because thats what I thought Alpine offered him and AMR offered something similar to his previous contract of $20m/yr.
I'd heard it on F1 TV I think... but here is another.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/fo ... 29372866

organic

I imagine a lot will be in performance bonuses - most of them very attainable. Lots of sports teams do this sort of contract nowadays for various reasons

diffuser

organic wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:26
I imagine a lot will be in performance bonuses - most of them very attainable. Lots of sports teams do this sort of contract nowadays for various reasons
Not like we're worried about Alonso's financial well being.

KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:42
organic wrote:
It would be funny if the performance bonuses were set too easy and a situation like Kimi in Lotus happened

peewon

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:25
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Ive seen some contradictory numbers elsewhere in the 15-20m range...

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1009303/1 ... n-contract

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122302/t ... worth.html

No clue which is accurate. If Alonso decided to take a pay cut it wouldnt be shocking. But being offered less than Ocon really stung him.

AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:55
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:42
organic wrote:
It would be funny if the performance bonuses were set too easy and a situation like Kimi in Lotus happened
Well the difference is Enstone had no money. Lawrence will just have to dig under his couch at one of his several properties.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 22:09
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:25
peewon wrote:

Ive seen some contradictory numbers elsewhere in the 15-20m range...

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1009303/1 ... n-contract

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122302/t ... worth.html

No clue which is accurate. If Alonso decided to take a pay cut it wouldnt be shocking. But being offered less than Ocon really stung him.
I don't think he did. It's just structured differently to last year.

Otromundo

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 15:22
I think unfortunately it’s top level management failure. I don’t wish to generalise but French (part Parisian) culture can make them quite aloof/arrogant. More emotional decision making than rational thought processes. Having worked near Paris for more than a year I’ve seen it happen all too often sadly. A lot of peacocking with lack of introspection.

To get to the top you need characters like Marko/Stroll Snr/Lauda and I’m afraid quite often the people who end up in senior positions in this sport are ones who’ve been around a long time. Get promoted into a position of “first incompetence” where their skill set just doesn’t match with the job requirements
Totally agree with your point of view. I have very good French friends, I really like to visit France and I admire many French things. But for some strange reason too many times the French seem to like being nasty and arrogant. Especially in Paris and surroundings.
In this case, there is also the stinginess of Renault with its investments in F1, which perhaps is the product of being a state property with the traditional added bureaucracy that has been the cause of the disaster with the Piastri contract, for example.
As a climax the personality of Esteban José Jean Pierre Ocón, of undeniable Spanish descent... and therefore more French than anyone... who ended Alonso's patience. The worst to end up unbalancing the team. And now the chickens have come home to roost ...
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

organic

https://www.formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-vuln ... -in-doubt/

According to this article from italian media, Laurent Mekies (Ass. team principal) would like to leave Ferrari and Alpine have already tabled an offer to him

continuum16

organic wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 14:48
https://www.formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-vuln ... -in-doubt/

According to this article from italian media, Laurent Mekies (Ass. team principal) would like to leave Ferrari and Alpine have already tabled an offer to him
I’ve seen that; although in typical Ferrari personnel-related fashion I’ve also seen he doesn’t want to leave. My question is, where would he go at Alpine? They’re not going to fire Otmar, and with the best will in the world Mekies’ time as sporting director at Ferrari is conspicuously coincides with constant errors on the sporting and trackside operations side.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain