2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
continuum16

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

I cannot wait to see the insane lap time difference between Melbourne 2022 and 2023 with AMR. Last year's AUS GP was nothing short of shambolic from them, with every session having at least one car broken down or crashing. In qualifying they were so far off. RB meanwhile, had arguably its largest deficit to Ferrari (with their higher DF/drag concept) of the year, so there could be a chance of things being a lot closer. If Vettel could win in 2017 and 2018 with clearly the second-best car in Australia, anything is possible with the right safety car timing. The additional DRS zone returning probably won't help AMR. However last year's Alpine could have been P3 on the grid with Alonso so who knows...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

NAPI10

Albert park track is something between Baharain & Jeddah that should suit the car plus this is the unlikeliest track for Redbull.
AM's strength to handle tires kindly (during the race) will come in handy, to lengthen the first stint & focus on the track potion. Alonso will do what he does best but someone like Lance can use the car's strength to play the long game here & score the first podium of the season.

KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 18:53
someone like Lance can use the car's strength to play the long game here & score the first podium of the season.
Playing the long game is exactly what Lance needs to improve though. I've seen him push too much at the first laps of the stint and then the tyres are finished, while Fernando preserves them much better. He has to learn race strategy from Fernando.

AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 22:13
NAPI10 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 18:53
someone like Lance can use the car's strength to play the long game here & score the first podium of the season.
Playing the long game is exactly what Lance needs to improve though. I've seen him push too much at the first laps of the stint and then the tyres are finished, while Fernando preserves them much better. He has to learn race strategy from Fernando.
This is also a weakness on his part that was present in previous seasons. It was there when he had two seasons with Perez. Anything is possible of course, but he's had a lot of time next to drivers who have great race management so you would think it would start to rub off by now.

KimiRai

Apparently Mercedes has had problems with the scale models used in the windtunnel and has fired people responsible, affecting the development of the W14. While I'm not one who lives in other's misfortune, even if half of what is said is true then it is good news for Aston.
It is also said that Mercedes would want to bring a new chassis but might not be able to do so due to the budget cap.
Lobato has said that in Aston they were a little concerned with the development potential of bigger teams like Mercedes have during the season and could get jumped later on. But if these issues were big enough then it could mean Aston as the 2nd team for a while longer.

vas_04614

Watched the onboard of ALO 1st stint at Jeddah

1. As soon as they pulled out 5+ sec gap to RUS, they started to consolidate position by just maintaining gap to RUS from around LAP 10-11,
2. To do that Race engineer was updating RUS lap times to ALO and ALO dropped his lap times by almost 4-5 tenths to match RUS times.
3. ALO was also told that HARDS are not doing great so they would like to extend the stint on MEDIUM so look after tyres.

It would be nice to see how it goes if they kept pushing, but looks like they are worried about car/tyres may be!! and wanted to consolidate podium.

He told check tyre switch for rear axle and front axle, donno what that means but his engineer after little bit of time came back with some setting and suggested management in turn 7 to protect rear tyres. But couple of laps later when SAI pitted he said that tyres good, hmm.

Also ALO was telling his engineer about level of car he is in like level 0, level 3 etc in between, donno whats that. At one instance when he was told about RUS lap time, he replies saying "still on target because i am still on level 4"

organic

I think Alonso describes how much he is pushing in levels. Level 0 would be that he is completely pushing*** edit
Last edited by organic on 25 Mar 2023, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai

Yeah I think level is tyre saving or how far from your optimal laptime you are from 0 to 10. Bahrain he was at moments in 10 due to the abrasive asphalt.

organic wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 19:38
I think Alonso describes how much he is pushing in levels. Level 0 would be that he is completely cruising I reckon
I think it's the opposite (if i'm not wrong). 0 being no saving.

Fernando said Jeddah was a control race, you can't catch the redbulls so you just build a decent gap to russell and then maintain the gap, no need to push the car more than is needed. Less chance of mistake or engine/mechanical failure

Juzh

KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 22:24
Yeah I think level is tyre saving or how far from your optimal laptime you are from 0 to 10. Bahrain he was at moments in 10 due to the abrasive asphalt.

organic wrote:
I think Alonso describes how much he is pushing in levels. Level 0 would be that he is completely cruising I reckon
It is.

Alo_Fan

KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 22:24

organic wrote:

Fernando said Jeddah was a control race, you can't catch the redbulls so you just build a decent gap to russell and then maintain the gap, no need to push the car more than is needed. Less chance of mistake or engine/mechanical failure
Yeah, I remember in Bahrain, Fernando said at the end of the race that he was on level 7, which I'm guessing was cruising as he wasn't pushing that hard.

KimiRai

When Fallows said:

As we improve and our wind tunnel run availability from the aerodynamic testing restrictions goes down, clearly we wouldn't be spending as much time in the tunnel. But having your own facility means you can do other experiments as well, which is invaluable.
What did he mean with those "experiments"?

AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 01:30
When Fallows said:

As we improve and our wind tunnel run availability from the aerodynamic testing restrictions goes down, clearly we wouldn't be spending as much time in the tunnel. But having your own facility means you can do other experiments as well, which is invaluable.
Currently they can only test Friday-Sunday. This is quite limiting.

vas_04614

Think if you are car company, then you can run some f1 ideas in wind tunnel on those other non f1 cars and can leverage that to get some basic tests done on those cars in wind tunnels for evaluation

FW17

KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 01:30
When Fallows said:

Wonder what the rules are with regards to testing half a car placed vertically without a rolling road belt. Can they do a full scale car then?

KimiRai

If you follow the Moving F1 staff posts, you'll see that 3 aero guys have left Aston in the last 10 days mostly to McLaren