Alfa Romeo C43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Alfa Romeo C43

f1316 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 19:42
The rear of the engine cover reminds me of the acer ducts on the 2012 Ferrari. I wonder how coincidental that is - as in: are they wanting the hot engine air to exit onto the beam wing and using bodywork to get it there?

My non-expert understanding was that this air was too low energy to be helpful in ‘blowing’ the wing, but the shape of the bodywork seems like there’s an intentionality.
Acer ducts do seem like an inspiration, but intentions are different. Acer ducts were used to blow the exhaust to drive the diffuser, while this cooling vent is placed to aid hot air extraction. It is very wide, but it has different curvatures so the outlet surface is not that big.

Why is it bent down? The way I see it, bending it down helps to introduce slightly more air towards rear wing. If the pressure on top of the vent is ambient or maybe even above ambient, rearward projection also means slightly lower drag.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

FIA are having a mare trying to close up the rules in this area. Alfa have a nice outwashing slot here and they can probably power it further with a downwashing element

organic

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

C43 T-Tray / Keel:

Vía: Albert Fabrega

MtthsMlw

via AMuS

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

If I’m not wrong, this is Alfa Romeo under the skin:

organic

Agree

Vanja #66

We won't hear it from the team if it's good or bad, but it doesn't look like something I'd expect. :? Too much lateral flow away from the beam wing and towards the gearbox area...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 13:09
We won't hear it from the team if it's good or bad, but it doesn't look like something I'd expect. :? Too much lateral flow away from the beam wing and towards the gearbox area...
To complement that picture:

Vía: AMUS

organic

PlatinumZealot

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 11:33
If I’m not wrong, this is Alfa Romeo under the skin:

https://i.imgur.com/mV0kRxn.jpg
Dayuuum!! Look at that bell crank mounting piece! That's some serious design details!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... rain-2023/

On performance:
It's just test drives. That's why fans of the Swiss racing team shouldn't start dreaming. And yet this test was a good one for the team. No acute bouncing, no technical defects that would give cause for concern: they were test drives that can be built on.
"It feels good and is easy to drive. I feel progress in the cockpit compared to last year." The team is satisfied: "The new car can do everything better than the old one."
On development:

They should be stronger this year as they are carrying over their chassis due to it starting 2022 light
The engineers working with head of technology Jan Monchaux are building the new C43 on the chassis of the previous year's Alfa. You could because the old C42 never had a problem with weight. Energy was saved during the new development, and the focus was shifted to the areas that promise more lap times. The production department was relieved. "We'd rather cook three courses really well than seven at a decent level," says Monchaux, describing the approach.
The specifications included better performance in fast corners, better handling of the softest tire compound and better stability.
On reliability:
In order to become more reliable, Alfa Romeo didn't just work on the radiators that caused so many concerns last season. "There were also three or four different problems, which were also quite complicated," says technical director Monchaux. Alfa-Sauber also streamlined internal processes. "It wasn't absolutely necessary for us to change something in the structure or the topology of the car. We have to get better with quality assurance."

organic

Autosport 📸

Sidepod cooling layout

organic

Nice shot of the C43's floor fences

Autosport 📸

Clearer view of internals & cooling

Autosport 📸