Haas VF-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
continuum16

Re: Haas VF-23

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 03:41
The VF-23 reminds me of the days when we would eagerly await the new Compaq or HP BMW Williams, only to find it doesn't look much different to the old Winfield, Compaq or HP Williams (so 2000, 2001, 2002).

Is it fair to say, however, that the VF-23 is bigger step from the VF-22 than meets the eye, rather than just detail and refinement work from the previous VF-22 and Ferrari F1-75? :?:
With absolutely zero data or information to back up my hypothesis; I would say so. After all, the VF-23 looks like the F1-75B (from the surface at least), and if they can get it to be as fast as the F1-75 was (or faster), they could be in for a 2018-esque year. But who knows what it looks like underneath (where all the performance is)...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

chrisc90

Kyle Engineers take on the VF-23.

organic

Not only aero rakes on the Haas during their filming day but they also tested 2 different types rear-wing supports:

Design A (2022)
Swan necks merge into the underside of the wing and leading edge & don't extend above. This is the type of support they used for 2022's RW

Design B (2023?)
More typical swan neck, mostly joins on the upper plane of element. considering the pitot tubes on the RW here I'm guessing they're checking that the new design is up to snuff

I didn't realize they could do so much under a filming day

Blackout

organic

Blackout wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:46
https://i.imgur.com/gLf9LdX.jpg
Sidepod is way curvier, roll hoop inlet significantly smaller. Feel like these are things that aren't as prominent when you do not have a good comparison side-by-side like this. Roll hoop inlet looks like the area could have halved

They also moved the tyre sensors on the front wing endplate to the top. Any potential aerodynamic benefit to that? Like shedding a vortex at a particular height to help manage the mid tyre wake ?

hollus

The discussion that had extremely little to do with this car and was just general F1 aero, has been moved to a new home:
General aero discussions
Please, refrain from long excursions into general aero in the car threads. Let's keep the car threads about the cars.
Rivals, not enemies.

organic

Yes the transition from speculation thread to car thread is not so smooth

Has anyone got any clear/good images of the Haas front suspension setup? I think Kyle talks about it but you can't really see a lot with the images he annotates

Nor have I seen the Haas beam wing at all..

Blackout

No good images but in the video below, between 0:04 and 0:06, there is a glimpse of the lower front suspension members, and it seems indeed that the steering arm is in front of the lower wishbone, and slightly higher, like the 2022 MCL and RB, #cascade, and you can see the beam wing, which has big spaces between it and exhaust pipe.

organic

Blackout wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 22:03
No good images but in the video below, between 0:04 and 0:06, there is a glimpse of the lower front suspension members, and it seems indeed that the steering arm is in front of the lower wishbone, and slightly higher, like the 2022 MCL and RB, #cascade, and you can see the beam wing
Awesome thanks

Here's a screengrab from the video with the BW

It's similar to what Alpine and RB settled on last year with an upper element that's backed off, not very upwashing (potentially locally downwashing), and the lower element which has a large angle of attack and twists flatter at the edges

Although after comparing to rb18's final mid-downforce configuration the two elements are much closer together so maybe not exactly the same idea
Last edited by organic on 12 Feb 2023, 22:18, edited 3 times in total.

hollus

organic wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:55
Yes the transition from speculation thread to car thread is not so smooth

Absolutely correct, but merging posts at this point would only create a jigsaw zipper effect...

If someone posted or sees a post int eh Haas car speculation thread that should be here, please, repost or quote the post here.
Rivals, not enemies.

organic

I spotted this in one of the early shots but I couldn't get a good comparison photo with last year's car to confirm that it was the case. The nose is extremely shallow suggesting a small section:

Formula uno photo

organic

Summary of info from the formulauno article on the Vf-23:

Frontal view

1 = FW profile to maximize outwash by loading more through the centre

3 = Exaggerated the dipped central section of the full span main element
4 = Smaller nose section, see previous post for good side-by-side

5 = Higher attachment points for upper elements of front suspension

6 = The article says the track rod has been integrated into the lower wishbone, but other angles suggest maybe it's not exactly integrated but rather a cascade

7 = Redesigned front brake ducts without limitation of track rod pickup on the scoop

Floor design

They have adopted the stepped leading edge of the floor design Ferrari brought at the French GP in 2022:

There's some other info in there but nothing we haven't posted already

Vanja #66

Haas evaluated other options for sidepod design before continuing with their current solution:

https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

"There is always a basis for assumption and belief that one road is more promising than others, based on some initial information that may not be complete at 100%. Our case is the only point I can report with knowledge. We also evaluated other avenues and we think it was correct to bring this solution forward for the launch . But it is obvious that we have not invested the same level of energy on other solutions compared to the one we have pursued to the end
We also evaluated other solutions, but from the initial feedback we gathered, it didn't seem like the best thing to do. We were convinced to continue in the direction we have been pursuing. However, I do not exclude that other solutions with the same level of time, energy and simulations for development can then give the same potential in the end . I can't rule it out.
It's a part of the project that had been adequately studied for 2022. [...] It's something we've adjusted for 2023, but based on the choice we've made, I think it's clear that we haven't made any major upheavals with volumes, so even at the level of what lies beneath we have made small refinements. […] The position of that structure gives constraints to what is dressed around us and this is the result of what we have done."

Different speech instead for the upper cone, which Mercedes has separated from the belly to cover it with an aerodynamic appendix. In fact, this solution has not been evaluated by Haas: “ We have not considered it ”, concludes Resta.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Winglets in the front wing end plate?

Holm86

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 20:37
Winglets in the front wing end plate?

https://i.imgur.com/MDwxybl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qT80erJ.jpg
Must be same regulations loophole Mercedes are using on their front wing endplates