McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL60

Holm86 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:01
Morteza wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:47
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:McLaren changed the shape of their air/air intercooler (blue) & the ducting from compressor to rad (yellow). Cooling was forward on MCL36 > long ducting. On MCL60 they pushed the sidepod cooling back, but the duct is still long as it runs along cooler.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqOqawAXoA4 ... name=large
Didn't they switch form air/air to air/water intercoolers?
There was never confirmation, they had one of the air/water Inter coolers in the background in one of their social media posts.

Holm86

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:07
Holm86 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:01
Didn't they switch form air/air to air/water intercoolers?
There was never confirmation, they had one of the air/water Inter coolers in the background in one of their social media posts.
To me it looks more like a water cooler in the MCL60 picture, so I think it's true

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:That's interesting I was told they were using the printed intercoolers ages ago, so either someone's been pulling my leg or perhaps that's part of the planned upgrades. Doesn't make much sense to tell me that long ago though. I think I'm going to have to go talk to some people :lol:
Seems like I need to be more wary about single sources again...
That’s ok Phillip, can’t get it all right :lol:

So I’d assume we won’t see anything particularly significant change on the car till Baku.

I think they’ve managed expectations well, although I do think there is more pressure on that Baku upgrade to perform now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 17:33
Difference in the Tunnel Entrance vs the MCL36. The Tunnel opening is now taller than in previous the season, therefore increasing the amount of air volume, it would be seem the second first inner fence which was taller the the tunnel to create a vortex along the floor is now shorten to tunnel height… Also to note the difference in outer fence versus previous year:

https://i.imgur.com/AO4TM2C.jpg

I can’t remember where I got the MCL36 picture from, the MCL60 via AMUS
Interesting comparison!
It seems that they are still allowing air from the t-tray to bleed upwards to the top of the floor, the inner fence performing a similar role to the mcl36 inlet ‘wall’; unless the perspective of the pic is artificially reducing the position of the inner fence it will be interesting to see how it is shaped under the car.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1rules

what do we think they found, i dont buy the endplate thing, few teams have it, and i dont think rb has it, so, what on earth they discovered, maybe its more to do with how to run the car, and they have to adapt the concept around that, i was looking back and end of Nov. thats where they tested a simpel version og rb's floor. Maybe that gave them direction, i dont know, just know they are seriously putting themselves under pressure

organic

Show & Tell document - Bahrain

CjC
CjC

f1rules wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 11:25
what do we think they found, i dont buy the endplate thing, few teams have it, and i dont think rb has it, so, what on earth they discovered, maybe its more to do with how to run the car, and they have to adapt the concept around that, i was looking back and end of Nov. thats where they tested a simpel version og rb's floor. Maybe that gave them direction, i dont know, just know they are seriously putting themselves under pressure
It’ll probably look just like what the car does now only a few mm different here and there🤣
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 11:46

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqSPqeOWAAI ... &name=orig

No change in suspension... :o

organic

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 13:26
organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 11:46

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqSPqeOWAAI ... &name=orig

No change in suspension... :o
Well they aren't necessarily listing everything. RB made suspension geometry changes and they haven't listed those :mrgreen:

mclaren111

Nice angle...

organic

According to scarbs on tech talk McLaren use vinyl wrap rather than paint for weight saving

Slahinki

organic wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 12:58
https://streamable.com/czis66

According to scarbs on tech talk McLaren use vinyl wrap rather than paint for weight saving
IIRC there's been articles on the McLaren app stating they've been using majority vinyl wrapping since 2020.

organic

Ah makes sense, thanks I didn't realize it was common knowledge

Slahinki

organic wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 13:05
Ah makes sense, thanks I didn't realize it was common knowledge
Wouldn't necessarily say it is common knowledge, at least not in the greater F1 community.

PhillipM

A lot of cars use stickers for the majority of sponsor logos with only the base colours of the car painted on.