Aston Martin AMR23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zoroastar

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

NAPI10 wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 16:54
The Aston Martin Brake Tech Helping Alonso Fight in F1-

Is this easily adopted by other teams?
i doubt that it is particularly hard, but given the cost cap, teams will have to weigh whether its worthy of upgrade compared to other things. and im sure there are other pretty fancy designs rolling around the paddock too.

PlatinumZealot

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 15:41

Wonderful stuff from Shub, as usual 8)
It's basically trying ti bring back the effect of the old, complicated but very effective rear brake ducts that were banned in recent times.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

I really want to point out to you all thus this car has huge petential if you look at how "simple" the surfaces on the visbile part of the car are. The beam wing, the side pod, the floor edge... All relatively simple shapes!

So it's really scary what they have got going on under the floor!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

Do we have any pictures of alonso's steering wheel?

delsando53

no but there is an onboard helmet view

Juzh

delsando53 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 14:36

Thanks, this was helpful. Using helmet view I was able to read out what's written on this white button:

I'm fairly positive it's "K0", basically mgu-k kill switch. I've seen him using it quite often in later stages of bahrain GP, specifically in entry to T12. It looks like Alonso didn't like predefined energy deployment settings and just manually disabled mgu-k for that corner. To save tyres of course.

AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 21:13
delsando53 wrote:

Thanks, this was helpful. Using helmet view I was able to read out what's written on this white button:
https://i.imgur.com/kZQpUSM.png

I'm fairly positive it's "K0", basically mgu-k kill switch. I've seen him using it quite often in later stages of bahrain GP, specifically in entry to T12. It looks like Alonso didn't like predefined energy deployment settings and just manually disabled mgu-k for that corner. To save tyres of course.
It was mentioned by Valterri Bottas that the Mercedes PU was much more "automatic" in its deployment operation. Perhaps that is to the detriment of Alonso.

I also noticed Alonso was having so much wheel spin in 3rd gear when he was pushing. In spite of his great result, you can tell that things were quite un-optimized in terms of steering, and deployment.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 12 Mar 2023, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 21:17
Juzh wrote:
delsando53 wrote:

It was mentioned by Valterri Bottas that the Mercedes PU was much more "automatic" in it's deployment operation. Perhaps that is to the detriment of Alonso.
I wouldn't say detriment. Basically with mgu-k deploying you go too fast and either have to lift = wasted energy, or stay full throttle and have a lot of tyre scrub and burning them out sooner than necessary. I've noticed speed stays constant immediately after he presses the button.

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 21:23
AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:

It was mentioned by Valterri Bottas that the Mercedes PU was much more "automatic" in it's deployment operation. Perhaps that is to the detriment of Alonso.
I wouldn't say detriment. Basically with mgu-k deploying you go too fast and either have to lift = wasted energy, or stay full throttle and have a lot of tyre scrub and burning them out sooner than necessary. I've noticed speed stays constant immediately after he presses the button.
I thought you could change mgu-k deployment on the fly? That it wasn't part of a map.

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 09:03
Juzh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I thought you could change mgu-k deployment on the fly? That it wasn't part of a map.
I'm not sure what you mean.

edit.
ok, now I get you, you mean ICE map? No, energy deployment isn't part of it, but it looks like mercedes didn't program a suitable automatic deployment plan in this case.

I've seen alpha tauri drivers also use this tactic in the past many times. On honda engines it's called "anti-deploy". Interestingly I've never seen or heard red bull drivers use it.

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 13:32
diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 09:03
Juzh wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.

edit.
ok, now I get you, you mean ICE map? No, energy deployment isn't part of it, but it looks like mercedes didn't program a suitable automatic deployment plan in this case.

I've seen alpha tauri drivers also use this tactic in the past many times. On honda engines it's called "anti-deploy". Interestingly I've never seen or heard red bull drivers use it.

I think the team assigned to Aston from Merc would do that. It's obvious that cars are going to have different characteristics, so they're gonna deploy differently. Williams might want to take advantage of their straight line speed and deploy more on the straights. Also when you're trying to pass a car you might need to switch up the deployment on the fly to save in one place to use it somewhere else.

vorticism

organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 11:24
The upper A-arm is rather high up; has Dan Fallows brought longbow thing to Aston Martin?
𓄀

AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 22:09
organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 11:24
https://i.imgur.com/omyP96h.jpeg
The upper A-arm is rather high up; has Dan Fallows brought longbow thing to Aston Martin?
I believe so.

Chuckjr

Does that offer a longer length of travel for the wheel because (I assume) the tire moves kinda diagonally up and back instead of straight up and down? Sorry if I’m seeing it wrong.
Watching F1 since 1986.

PlatinumZealot

I think it allows a smaller bulkhead and cleaner aero at the arm and under the bulkhead too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏