Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Goblin42

Re: Mercedes W14

vorticism

motorsport.com
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

Centre of pressure lands a little bit rearward of those edge wings... When I compare this with the RB19, can I fairly estimate that the RB19 has a more rearward centre of pressure? very likely. Their side pod undercut seems to point towards that. It could be the thing that Merc got wrong over the winter, and it is something to look out for in upcoming upgrades. (Small sweeping undercut, and longer edge wing).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 06:13
Centre of pressure lands a little bit rearward of those edge wings... When I compare this with the RB19, can I fairly estimate that the RB19 has a more rearward centre of pressure? very likely. Their side pod undercut seems to point towards that. It could be the thing that Merc got wrong over the winter, and it is something to look out for in upcoming upgrades. (Small sweeping undercut, and longer edge wing).
The Merc can't have an undercut due to edge wing. There is a two section rule in the YZ plane. The "cut back" of the "undercut" will make a third section. This is explained in that Kyle engineers video from last year.

PlatinumZealot

Yes You just need to visualizing it 3D. :idea: :idea:

It doesn't need to be huge. It just needs an outwashing cut back in the bottom of the side pod accentuated by a ridge in the floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 07:21

It doesn't need to be huge. It just needs an outwashing cut back in the bottom of the side pod accentuated by a ridge in the floor.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "sidepod undercut", then it's a geometrical impossibility. The sidepod cannot have any undercut within the span of the mid-wing. Two section rule.

If you have time to sketch something, that would help me understand.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 16:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "sidepod undercut", then it's a geometrical impossibility. The sidepod cannot have any undercut within the span of the mid-wing. Two section rule.

https://i.postimg.cc/qqLDMtb9/image.png
Blend it and start it a bit behind that. It doesn't have to start at the very front. You might be over thinking it
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 16:49
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 16:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/qqLDMtb9/image.png
Blend it and start it a bit behind that. It doesn't have to start at the very front. You might be over thinking it
Still not sure I understand. It doesn't matter if the undercut is at the front, or it comes in like a torpedo at the back. As soon as you undercut, you will get a 3rd section in the XZ slice.

PlatinumZealot

Further back from the side wing, the number of curves on the Mercedes side pod is no different from other cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 17:09
Further back from the side wing, the number of curves on the Mercedes side pod is no different from other cars.
I don't think we're on the same wavelength. You also have refused to sketch what you are imagining so perhaps that is where the confusion is on my part.

Note the discussion here:

Venturiation

New suspensions coming to fix the balance

AA_2019

Any opinions on whether the planned updates on the W14 suspension will incorporate the RB19 style extreme anti-dive and anti-squat set up which allows them to run lower to the ground ?

https://www.autoracing1.com/pl/394465
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Stu

Several pages* of non-W14 specific car comparison and general aero posts have been moved. Some are incredibly lengthy (quote on quote on quote…); please use the edit function when using multiple quotes - anyone genuinely interested will go back an read through!

*please note this was approximately 100 posts (more, I think) and it takes AGES to complete!

Keep it W14 tech-related please boys & girls. 😘
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough

Stu wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 10:19
Several pages* of non-W14 specific car comparison and general aero posts have been moved. Some are incredibly lengthy (quote on quote on quote…); please use the edit function when using multiple quotes - anyone genuinely interested will go back an read through!

*please note this was approximately 100 posts (more, I think) and it takes AGES to complete!

Keep it W14 tech-related please boys & girls. 😘
Moved to ?

Thank you to those contributing to the discussion, I enjoy the questions asked, views given and ultimately the outcome in seeing just what changes the MB team are going to proceed with.

Stu

Farnborough wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 10:29
Stu wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 10:19
Several pages* of non-W14 specific car comparison and general aero posts have been moved. …
Moved to ?

Car comparison posts to 2023 car comparison thread; general aero (mostly discussing the neutrality, or otherwise of the mid-wing concept) posts are now in General Aero thread.

Both of these threads exist in the technical area of the forum.
Both subjects just deviated too far from the core thread subject. They got moved because they are technically interesting in their own right, it is normal for off-topic posts to be deleted within the car specific threads.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.