Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mzso

Re: Red Bull RB19

aleks_ader wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 13:00
Guys, I think sorta double chassis would be quite obvious one for scrutineering to notice. Like Lotus 79 witch got banned even before season.
You mean Lotus 88, right?

By the way is such linkage between floor and suspension actually explicitly banned nowadays?
By which rule? And in what fashion?

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 13:57
aleks_ader wrote:
Guys, I think sorta double chassis would be quite obvious one for scrutineering to notice. Like Lotus 79 witch got banned even before season.

By the way is such linkage between floor and suspension actually explicitly banned nowadays?
Would it not fall under 'movable aero'?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 14:14
mzso wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:

Perhaps. Though it would be the most stable part of the car, relative to the road..

Holm86

mzso wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:42
Big Tea wrote:
mzso wrote:

Perhaps. Though it would be the most stable part of the car, relative to the road..
That's the problem, it has to be stable relative to the unsprung part of the car, not relative to the road.
Active suspension was banned as a breach of movable aero regulations too.

mzso

Holm86 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:57
mzso wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:42
Big Tea wrote:

That's the problem, it has to be stable relative to the unsprung part of the car, not relative to the road.
Active suspension was banned as a breach of movable aero regulations too.
Okay. Though I'm quite sure active suspension was banned explicitly.

clownfish

Does anybody have any good close-ups of the sprung front-skid area of this car? I searched but could not find any.

organic

clownfish wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 13:38
Does anybody have any good close-ups of the sprung front-skid area of this car? I searched but could not find any.
AMuS 📸

Albert Fabrega 📸

Best I've got right now

organic

Photo from Autosport of RB19 in testing with some good lighting to see the slabbiness and undercut

organic

Juzh wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 15:01
what do we think? anything new?
I think it's a new low downforce wing.. looks similar to Spa RW in terms of front profile but with a more gradual/smoother transition to the endplate (similar to the difference between last year's bahrain RW and this year's bahrain RW) ie more spooned. The main plane is far too small to be the '23 Bahrain RW

Spa RW:

Vanja #66

Curvature of the leading edge (in YZ plane) looks to be the same on the Bahrain and Jeddah wings, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same main plane with different endplates placing it at slightly smaller angle. Jeddah endplates, on the other hand, look to be exactly the same as last year's low-downforce wing (Jeddah, Spa, Monza, etc), so I think there's a lot of clever cost saving with basically no performance penalty. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

They again have the thinnest suspension arms this year.

aleks_ader wrote:

More so i think there is clear intend to control flex that is stable and predictable in any phase of corner. Not as highly adaptable as many here are suggesting. Ofc suspension setup is tailored to suit around predetermined yaw, rake aero maps clearly. Remember such dynamics events are nightmare to control and simulate in CFD or wind tunnels. And furthermore such events become exponentially harder and as consequence you heavily restricts any resources available for any parallel R&D projects.

So stable platform is name of game if u will. That will give u "easier" environment too work with. As setups, simulations of such "simple" events will payed dividends in sense of more gradual improvements trough much bigger data throughput.

Maybe there is TRUE power of RB aero team. They know what they want. And they just chipp away problem by problem without too outlandish ideas (cought cought Merc) or outlandish loopholes (cought cought Ferrari) witch can and will get banned in any minute. They simply engineered efficient and balanced car.
+1 I think their secret is not in moveable nor active features, rather they have the most rigid floor in the field. Last year we saw how well supported it was; a distinction within the field. Others went with thinner floors with sparser supports and relied on long guy wires which are only strong in tension.
𓄀

organic

Changes for round 2 - Saudi Arabia

Seems they were told off for their minimal explanations in Bahrain :mrgreen:

Just circuit specific changes listed. Doesn't mean nothing else has changed though of course

organic

Small change to the floor edge wing geometry. Seems to be more cranked, aids extraction of the front floor

Scott Mitchell-Malm 📸

Vanja #66

I think it's another case of different angles, it was there in Bahrain too :)

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 15:20
I think it's another case of different angles, it was there in Bahrain too :)

You're probably right. I'll leave it as is until can find better angles that confirm old/new geometry