Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ing.

Re: Red Bull RB19

Big Tea wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 16:34
ing. wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 15:55
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned (I think) is how the RB front suspension, with its highly skewed upper wishbone could be providing very good camber gain characteristics and so front grip. Apart from its aero function the front suspension upper wishbone especially will in effect be quite angled (higher outbound) if you consider that the effective upper link inner pivot is much lower than front upper wishbone fwd leg attachment. AM have similar geometry.
I wondered if there was any degree of flexibility there too. Just at the 'elbow' to absorb kicks.
That would probably be considered undesirable flexibility and not sure of what advantage that would bring.

The upper wishbone forward leg is beefier than the trailing leg probably because it’s seeing some bending loads—as would be expected if the inboard pick-up is a flexure—as well as side loads from cornering, not to mention the aero fairing around it. The trailing leg mostly sees tension from braking loads I would expect.

.poz
.poz

Sevach wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 03:16
These are rumors and speculation, so take it with a lot of salt.
The rumors said that last year Newey/Red Bull were one of the few teams that understood that porpoising could be a thing, so they aimed for a less peaky floor that could produce good downforce at various ride heights.
i think you are right. Last year rb floor seemed of another category compared to all other cars: complex 3d curves where others was pretty linear.

may be they are able to decrease the ratio downforce/speed at high speed or just to stall the floor.

@Vanja #66

based on photos can you do a cfd of last year rb floor ?

PS i'm very curios to see current RB and AM floor....
Lance Stroll, i'm counting on you

Farnborough
Farnborough

ing. wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 03:29
Big Tea wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 16:34
ing. wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 15:55
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned (I think) is how the RB front suspension, with its highly skewed upper wishbone could be providing very good camber gain characteristics and so front grip. Apart from its aero function the front suspension upper wishbone especially will in effect be quite angled (higher outbound) if you consider that the effective upper link inner pivot is much lower than front upper wishbone fwd leg attachment. AM have similar geometry.
I wondered if there was any degree of flexibility there too. Just at the 'elbow' to absorb kicks.
That would probably be considered undesirable flexibility and not sure of what advantage that would bring.

The upper wishbone forward leg is beefier than the trailing leg probably because it’s seeing some bending loads—as would be expected if the inboard pick-up is a flexure—as well as side loads from cornering, not to mention the aero fairing around it. The trailing leg mostly sees tension from braking loads I would expect.
The upper front wishbone is a complete cross link, from one upright across to the other, as I understand it. A cross beam, in other words. This mounted to the tub, well it looks like rigidly. Also copied on AM seen in recent photographs. Used to be lower cross beam on RB prior to 2022.

Vanja #66

.poz wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 21:23
based on photos can you do a cfd of last year rb floor ?

PS i'm very curios to see current RB and AM floor....
Lance Stroll, i'm counting on you
viewtopic.php?f=12&p=1089281#p1089281

From what I could find at the time (and I also checked later for more pics and found them to be similar), this was the RB floor profile in the first part of the season. And I made a brief CFD demonstration to show that this geometry (if it was indeed that geometry) does what I drew a few days earlier...

Doing that kind of complex geometry takes time. And it will take the same time to iron everything out and make it without any losses that surely aren't present on the real car. If, and that's a big if, I find some time, I plan to do AMR23 floor geometry, since a few floor shots showed the geometry on the underside. I will also make an effort to iron out front wing and sides further, to make it more coherent. We're talking at least two months from now, more likely three to be honest...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

.poz
.poz

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 22:10

Doing that kind of complex geometry takes time. And it will take the same time to iron everything out and make it without any losses that surely aren't present on the real car. If, and that's a big if, I find some time, I plan to do AMR23 floor geometry, since a few floor shots showed the geometry on the underside. I will also make an effort to iron out front wing and sides further, to make it more coherent. We're talking at least two months from now, more likely three to be honest...
i'm more interested in the front part of the floor: fences and mostly the intake part of the venturi

i think the trick is in that zone, those buldges do something...

maybe at high speed the bludge helps moving more air out of the venturi
Last edited by .poz on 22 Mar 2023, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

.poz wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 23:21
i'm more interested in the front part of the floor: fences and mostly the intake part of the venturi

i thing the trick is in that zone, those buldges do something...

maybe at high speed the bludge helps moving more air out of the venturi
Which buldges exactly?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

.poz
.poz

organic

Pretty sure kyle covers those features in a video under the "sausage strakes" section

KimiRai
KimiRai

Are there any pictures of the RB19 floor yet?

Henk_v
Henk_v

No. You'd need a lap1 incident.

PlatinumZealot

KimiRai wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 22:38
Hold on. Let me ask Ant Man.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

KimiRai wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 22:38
Wait till Monaco and Checo beats Max on the first of 2 runs in Q3. We will get a good shot.

vorticism

The RB6 of 2010's upper diffuser had a similar shape to this year's car's main diffuser.
wesley123 wrote:
06 May 2020, 14:53
organic wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 13:38
𓄀

TEHNOS

Bill
Bill

there is no drs trick here redbullhonda already had a car with high top speed from last year and are continuing the same theme.the only trick is avoiding saying the H word by british media and saying nothing about Mclaren being a backmarker.