2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dunlay
Dunlay
0
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:23 pm

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Hoffman900 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:31 pm
Tvetovnato wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:05 pm
For those who like and support Lewis, why not simply acknowledge that he did a great job yesterday and leave George out of it? So George had a not so great race yesterday, but that will continue to ebb and flow during the season as it has in the past two years. They are two quite evenly matched drivers and will continue to be, so why try to invent a narrative that will constantly be proven wrong? It will only lead to pages and pages of my driver is better than yours which there is enough of on other sites…
It’s both camps; one camp is hung up on Lewis and the other is hell bent on seeing Lewis fail.

Of all the driver pairings, those two are indiscernible, and it distracts from the real issue of the team’s issues and it being a mid pack team now.

Like I said, Lewis and George are much closer to each other than Merc is RB, Ferrari, and now Mclaren, and that should be the real story.
It's extremely childish to be fighting for one driver over another. It was a great race by Lewis with some really fine driving. At this point, there is nothing for George to prove and it seems he is focusing on just bringing the car home without much risk.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
208
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Dunlay wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:59 pm
Hoffman900 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:31 pm
Tvetovnato wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:05 pm
For those who like and support Lewis, why not simply acknowledge that he did a great job yesterday and leave George out of it? So George had a not so great race yesterday, but that will continue to ebb and flow during the season as it has in the past two years. They are two quite evenly matched drivers and will continue to be, so why try to invent a narrative that will constantly be proven wrong? It will only lead to pages and pages of my driver is better than yours which there is enough of on other sites…
It’s both camps; one camp is hung up on Lewis and the other is hell bent on seeing Lewis fail.

Of all the driver pairings, those two are indiscernible, and it distracts from the real issue of the team’s issues and it being a mid pack team now.

Like I said, Lewis and George are much closer to each other than Merc is RB, Ferrari, and now Mclaren, and that should be the real story.
It's extremely childish to be fighting for one driver over another. It was a great race by Lewis with some really fine driving. At this point, there is nothing for George to prove and it seems he is focusing on just bringing the car home without much risk.
As someone who has been mostly lurking here since the mid 2000s, there was a real shift in this forum around the start of DtS and then Covid. Now it just feels like another reddit.

User avatar
SKYnRacing24
0
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:10 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Straight facts tbh it makes sense why there so evenly matched over 3 seasons with these fundamentally flawed cars. Its distorted the narrative between them. I will say this though if theres a chance of victory or a great result Hamilton over the last 3 seasons (Apart from Brazil 2022) Seems to have another gear he can enable. Of the top of my head Zandervort 22 , Texas 22 , Texas 23 ,Britain 22 (before SC), Singapore 23 . Ive seen it too often where he will just start pulling out ridiculous laptimes just to stay in the hunt. I do feel Russell is faster of the two in Qualyfing, he just digs abit deeper to extract that performance that Hamilton fails to do these days. Also Russell is more aggressive in overtaking and battling. Not saying Hamilton isnt but he's not so do or die on the brakes like Russell is overtaking and is less impatient. Overall they complement each other well.

Im still fascinated to see who partners him next year. It will give even more context where Russell stands in the pecking order, for me personally hes near the top 5 but we really need confirmation when he has a championship winning car. Him and Max would be absolute box office. Russell isn't so pally pally like Lando is with him. Spain 22 Brazil 22 Baku 23 Vegas 23 They actually have some rivalry and abit hotheaded.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

rifrafs2kees wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:37 pm
Tvetovnato wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:05 pm
For those who like and support Lewis, why not simply acknowledge that he did a great job yesterday and leave George out of it? So George had a not so great race yesterday, but that will continue to ebb and flow during the season as it has in the past two years. They are two quite evenly matched drivers and will continue to be, so why try to invent a narrative that will constantly be proven wrong? It will only lead to pages and pages of my driver is better than yours which there is enough of on other sites…
I find the constant denigrating of one driver every weekend annoying as well, this week being George's turn.
Before you call me a Hamilton hater, I've watched f1 for going on 15 years because of him; I support him, not necessarily mercedes.
Indeed. And the key thing with my comments is I give George his flowers. He is good and he is talented. I will say when he has a bad or average weekend. But I wont say he is rubbish or a fraud like some Lewis haters tend to do by reflex.
There are anti Lewis fans that just turn to "Lewis' teammate fans" depending on the driver line up.
I will be jumping to Ferrari, but I did like the Brawn team and will always be somewhat of a supporter of Mercedes next year. They have a good engineering team despite the struggles.
For Sure!!

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm
Straight facts tbh it makes sense why there so evenly matched over 3 seasons with these fundamentally flawed cars. Its distorted the narrative between them. I will say this though if theres a chance of victory or a great result Hamilton over the last 3 seasons (Apart from Brazil 2022) Seems to have another gear he can enable. Of the top of my head Zandervort 22 , Texas 22 , Texas 23 ,Britain 22 (before SC), Singapore 23 . Ive seen it too often where he will just start pulling out ridiculous laptimes just to stay in the hunt. I do feel Russell is faster of the two in Qualyfing, he just digs abit deeper to extract that performance that Hamilton fails to do these days. Also Russell is more aggressive in overtaking and battling. Not saying Hamilton isnt but he's not so do or die on the brakes like Russell is overtaking and is less impatient. Overall they complement each other well.

Im still fascinated to see who partners him next year. It will give even more context where Russell stands in the pecking order, for me personally hes near the top 5 but we really need confirmation when he has a championship winning car. Him and Max would be absolute box office. Russell isn't so pally pally like Lando is with him. Spain 22 Brazil 22 Baku 23 Vegas 23 They actually have some rivalry and abit hotheaded.
I think Russel is better than Leclerc and Max. But just my opinion. He doesn't have any weakness. His only weakness is mental. He is impulsive and that's about it. The impulsiveness will go away when het gets more wins; or gets a known elite young driver that is not Lewis to go up against. Right now the comparison to Lewis is not so important, as it is to his peers in his age group. That 24 to 30 group are who are in the market now. Russel needs to measure up against them.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
347
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

You also said Stroll would beat Alonso. Some context for others...

DGP123
DGP123
0
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:21 pm
I think Russel is better than Leclerc and Max. But just my opinion. He doesn't have any weakness.
Been drinking?

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
557
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Definitely Russell will give those two a run for their money. Max and Leclerc are not invincible. They both were barely ahead of Carlos at equal F1 experience. We see young Lando here ripping away when his car has a turn off pace. These young guys are all extremely close talent wise. George and Leclerc are probably the most elite in qualifying. Lando is up there too but he is more inconcistent in qualifying.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
557
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

People like to say Russell is rubbish. We know what their true intentions are. They will see how fast he is if Toto gets Carlos in the other seat.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:35 pm
You also said Stroll would beat Alonso. Some context for others...
He has outdriven Alonso on a few occasions. Miami being a good example. I underestimated his lack of mental growth. He has the pace and shows some good overtaking when his head is in the right place. Stroll makes silly errors but his ability is not garbage. He has speed.
For Sure!!

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen
-5
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:49 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:52 pm
Hamilton has the teeth on the team. As much criticism as he gets, George cannot make wine out of water like Lewis does.
This weekend in Miami was promising.
Fighting spirit in the sprint, and elite craft to navigate some tough competition in the race and chasing down Perez. A strong weekend for Lewis. He just needs a better car to get back into his driving god mode. Lol.
Russel was nowhere, but he did have a much better qualifying as usual.
The car deserately needs upgrades. It has potential when its in the right window. Still lakcs top speed too.
Russel just 10 points ahead of Lewis. This will soon evaporate in the next 5 races.
Russel is talented but just doesnt seem to know how to lead the development direction from a driver's perspective. He is just driving to outqualify Lewis race by race.
Seriously :roll:

In the one race that Hamilton out qualified Russell, Russell beat him in the race.

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:06 am
ringo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:52 pm
Hamilton has the teeth on the team. As much criticism as he gets, George cannot make wine out of water like Lewis does.
This weekend in Miami was promising.
Fighting spirit in the sprint, and elite craft to navigate some tough competition in the race and chasing down Perez. A strong weekend for Lewis. He just needs a better car to get back into his driving god mode. Lol.
Russel was nowhere, but he did have a much better qualifying as usual.
The car deserately needs upgrades. It has potential when its in the right window. Still lakcs top speed too.
Russel just 10 points ahead of Lewis. This will soon evaporate in the next 5 races.
Russel is talented but just doesnt seem to know how to lead the development direction from a driver's perspective. He is just driving to outqualify Lewis race by race.
Seriously :roll:

In the one race that Hamilton out qualified Russell, Russell beat him in the race.
Where has Russel threatened to gain a worthy position?
Last time he had the chanced he crashed into Alonso.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion
80
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:37 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:08 am
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:06 am
ringo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:52 pm
Hamilton has the teeth on the team. As much criticism as he gets, George cannot make wine out of water like Lewis does.
This weekend in Miami was promising.
Fighting spirit in the sprint, and elite craft to navigate some tough competition in the race and chasing down Perez. A strong weekend for Lewis. He just needs a better car to get back into his driving god mode. Lol.
Russel was nowhere, but he did have a much better qualifying as usual.
The car deserately needs upgrades. It has potential when its in the right window. Still lakcs top speed too.
Russel just 10 points ahead of Lewis. This will soon evaporate in the next 5 races.
Russel is talented but just doesnt seem to know how to lead the development direction from a driver's perspective. He is just driving to outqualify Lewis race by race.
Seriously :roll:

In the one race that Hamilton out qualified Russell, Russell beat him in the race.
Where has Russel threatened to gain a worthy position?
Last time he had the chanced he crashed into Alonso.
Tbf that was on Alonso, he suddenly slowed and Russell had almost no time to react, Alonso got a 20 sec penalty for a reason there

venkyhere
venkyhere
10
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:17 am

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:21 pm
I think Russel is better than Leclerc and Max. But just my opinion. He doesn't have any weakness. His only weakness is mental. He is impulsive and that's about it.
Let me respectfully disagree. He is a 'reactive' driver, that's a gap that needs to bridged before he goes from 'excellent' to 'elite' category, where the driving is 'predictive of grip'. Lewis and Max were similar for the first few years of their career, then they made the jump with experience. No one makes their F1 debut with all the skillset already present. They develop their skills 'on-the-job'.
Otherwise, Russel has tremendous racecraft and 'game-reading' ability w.r.t overall status of the race as it's going on.

Farnborough
Farnborough
94
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

venkyhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:22 am
ringo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:21 pm
I think Russel is better than Leclerc and Max. But just my opinion. He doesn't have any weakness. His only weakness is mental. He is impulsive and that's about it.
Let me respectfully disagree. He is a 'reactive' driver, that's a gap that needs to bridged before he goes from 'excellent' to 'elite' category, where the driving is 'predictive of grip'. Lewis and Max were similar for the first few years of their career, then they made the jump with experience. No one makes their F1 debut with all the skillset already present. They develop their skills 'on-the-job'.
Otherwise, Russel has tremendous racecraft and 'game-reading' ability w.r.t overall status of the race as it's going on.
I'd agree with that. Over the years I've seen some hugely fast drivers, never to take some of these subtle elements into their overall approach ..... only for their career to slide on by. In comparison to the one's becoming consistent in their achievements, it's a small but appreciably powerful shift in stance.