Zero drag radiators

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Zero drag radiators

e36jon wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 18:57
According to his biography 'The Perfect Car', John Barnard designed this into one of his Ferrari cars while he was there. He alleges that he was sabotaged by the engine department giving him false information to design around hence dooming the car to struggles throughout the season.
It was on the 1994 Ferrari 412T1 where he designed these "zero-drag"-sidepods, inspired by the Spitfire Single fighter aircraft who used this concept in 1938.

GeeEmm
GeeEmm

Andi76 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 09:33
e36jon wrote:
According to his biography 'The Perfect Car', John Barnard designed this into one of his Ferrari cars while he was there. He alleges that he was sabotaged by the engine department giving him false information to design around hence dooming the car to struggles throughout the season.
It was on the 1994 Ferrari 412T1 where he designed these "zero-drag"-sidepods, inspired by the Spitfire Single fighter aircraft who used this concept in 1938.
I think you mean (or JB does :lol: ) the NA P51 Mustang. As far as I am aware, the Spitfire use simple ducting with flaps to control the cooling capacity by restricting/increasing airflow. OTOH the P51 used the ducting to create thrust (as well as cooling of course).

Andi76
Andi76

GeeEmm wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 03:04
Andi76 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 09:33
e36jon wrote:
I think you mean (or JB does :lol: ) the NA P51 Mustang. As far as I am aware, the Spitfire use simple ducting with flaps to control the cooling capacity by restricting/increasing airflow. OTOH the P51 used the ducting to create thrust (as well as cooling of course).
You have to ask Mister Barnard himself and its JBs fault :D he says the idea came to him after reading a book about aerodynamics and the Spitfires zero drag inlets. Like it was said - its in his book or the book he paid Nick Skeens for - "The Perfect Car - The Biography of John Barnard, Motorsports most creative designer"

GeeEmm
GeeEmm

Well I don't want to open a new front in the JB wars :lol: . The Spit rads may have been zero drag, or perhaps low drag, they certainly used shutters/flaps on the exit, no argument from me, but I have never seen anything about them producing thrust.

However IIRC, what I read was the NA engineers did a lot of work on using the expansion of the hot air post-radiator (duct design), and the velocity of that stream (throttling it by adjusting the outlet area), with the result that it added a measurable and appreciable increase in speed to the aircraft. I'd quote numbers if I could find them, but in a quick look I haven't been able to lay my hands on the right book.