What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
nae
nae

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

mx_tifosi wrote:A feature that I would like to add would be an introduction of sorts to every single new member that joins this forum.

On how to make posts, including pictures, links, avatar sizes acceptable, etc. And how to search for certain topics, in case they want to start a thread about a topic that has already been discussed recently, or whenever. Basically a survival guide on how to manage their way through this forum, and how to make their experience a whole lot better.

Since of late I have noticed that many new members start new threads but are quickly recieved with links to other threads with the same topic. And then the new threads are useless as they are abandoned in favour of the older thread with more content. So we then end up with a lot of abandoned threads that take up space in each of the sub-forums available, making searches more difficult and time consuming for all members.

This is just a personal suggestion that came to me by witnessing it first hand. I wouldn't like to place all the work on Tomba or Principessa, so anyone with suggestions or additions to this idea are most definately welcome. Posting them here would be great,as we could possibly start an actual draft of the "introduction" for new members.

What do you guys/gals think about this?
great idea

only thing i would add to that is this should be provided to anyone entering the internet for the first time

many forums have these self same problems and so far i havent seen a decent solution
..?

bazanaius
bazanaius

Hey guys,

I really like the 'all teams' and 'all cars' bits on the database. How about an 'all tracks' one as well? Would be good to document all the tracks, where they are, how they've changed over the years.

Probs best to group them by venue - e.g. british GP, belgian GP, malaysian GP etc.
OR you could group them by year?

my 0.02$

Baz

andartop
andartop

I m a newbie here so i have no idea if such a thing exists already, but i'd really like to see a "best of posts" section. it would probably mean a lot of hard work going through all those threads and selecting the best/funniest/more hilarious/more important posts, but i think it might be a good idea about what's been said before on the hottest potato issues for newcomers and a reminder of the good old times for older members.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

WhiteBlue

in my experience people have different needs they try to satisfy in a message board. it makes sense to compartmentalize a bit and get those geeks their little sandboxes. some times you even manage to untroll someone by making him the overlord of the troll section. all trolls may happily flock to his little kingdom. you could even have multiple specialized troll sections where people can strip their souls and abuse each other to their heart's content. :wink:

now, you would say it's all perception. a guy perceived as a troll by his grandfather may be the star of his peer group. very true but still you can compartmentalize them and give them things to do. well, I'm pissed so don't take anything serious I say, but you are used to it from Ciro. hey, nothing changes but panta rei.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

How about the name of the thread author near the thread title, the one appearing above the moderator list?

I figure that it's worth knowing who started the discussion before considering taking part or even reading it. And sometimes the thread has many pages of content by the time one last visited the site, so the original authors name can appear on any given page.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scuderia_Russ

A number of forums I visit have a feature where by if you leave your cursor over a thread title for a second or two then the first few lines of the thread-starters post appear above it in a small box meaning that you can decide whether the post is utter crap or worth reading pretty much straight away! Very handy.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Carlos
Carlos

Threads like this?
/viewtopic.php?p=85361&f=1

Scuderia_Russ

:P Exactly my friend!
-Henry Ford-

pipex
pipex

I don't know if this has been said (too lazy to read all the posts in this thread :P), but a nice feature to add IMHO would be to list the date of the related threads that appears in "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the page. Maybe sorting them by date as well (or year...). That way it will be easier to determine if the actual thread is related to that similar ones.

Regards
"We will have to wait and see".

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

How about when clicking on a link you get a new window from that? Not sure if it's been said before either...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scuderia_Russ

If you right click on the link don't you get the option to open it in a new window any way?
-Henry Ford-

Steven
Owner

mx_tifosi wrote:How about when clicking on a link you get a new window from that? Not sure if it's been said before either...
Opening a new window for links is marked by the W3C as bad practice, and in fact not even allowed in some web standards. We still use it here and there, but I agree that a user should expect that a link always opens the same way.
Scuderia_Russ wrote:If you right click on the link don't you get the option to open it in a new window any way?
Correct.

West
West

A quick reply box at the bottom of each thread would really be nice. I don't know if it's been suggested, but I'm just throwing it out there.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

djos

I'd like the "View unanswered posts · View new posts · View your posts · View active topics" link's applied to all forum views so I dont have to click to "Forum" and then click on "View active topics" every time I want to see what else is going on.
"In downforce we trust"

Steven
Owner

pipex wrote:I don't know if this has been said (too lazy to read all the posts in this thread :P), but a nice feature to add IMHO would be to list the date of the related threads that appears in "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the page. Maybe sorting them by date as well (or year...). That way it will be easier to determine if the actual thread is related to that similar ones.

Regards
I have just updated the forum (that one turned out to be a pain in the ass), and also improved the display of "related topics". I hope you like it ;)