Sim Racing

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Best PC F1 sim

GP 4
13%
rFactor
52%
F1 Challenge `99 `02
26%
other?
10%

Total votes: 31

modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:IColin McRae Rally 2 is definitely a good simulator, on thread, and a very scottish one... Sad Mr. McRae is not among us any more, so I don't see a chance for CMR3 on the market soon.
I'm confused a bit here...

wasn't there CMR3, 4, 2005 and the recent Colin McRae DIRT after that?

DaveKillens

Correct mod, and I enjoy CMR3.
I've been an avid sim racer since they came out, in fact I own "Indianapolis 500" by Papy, the first true sim. Back in those days (1989) they ran in DOS. I've flat out worn out two wheel/ pedals sets, thousands and thousands of laps in about every format. F1, NASCAR, Indycar, WOO, CMR.
From my experience, the games that endure have to be capable of mods, carsets, and tracks. And among that group, Rfactor stands very strong. Purchase the game, and you wind up with a sim that supports an enviable number of tracks and car types.

modbaraban

DaveKillens wrote:Correct mod, and I enjoy CMR3.
Oh, i've just found my CMR 2005 CDs. I used to be good at it (even on keyboard) though I usually show lack of ability handling the big slides :oops:

PS: I've heard many times that Richard Burns Rally is "far better than CMR" or "simply the best ever rally sim fullstop."
Last edited by modbaraban on 07 Nov 2007, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Well if anyone here would like to take me on at CMR2 I'd love a challenge.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Giblet

I guess since I started this thread I'd chime in.

I spent quite a bit of time in F1C and rFactor, and found rFactor to be the more rewarding sim.

I like the CTCP mod (CTDP? CTTP? Can't remember) :? for apparent realism and a relatively steep learning curve, and this is coming from a long time GP2 player and roommate beater in all racing games.

F1C I was able to hop in and do relatively well, and I doubt this to be true of a real F1 car, 'vast' sim experience notwithstanding.

The difference between driving a Minardi (no fun) and a Renault (party on Garth) is night and day.

Carlos

I remember a thread in which I doubted the possibility of driver blackout in the days of wing cars, having read through this paper I can see I was quite wrong. The above math is well above my ability on my best day, it's from "High Acceleration and the Human Body by Mark Voshell."

http://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/voshell/gforce.pdf
Last edited by Carlos on 15 Nov 2007, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

I just got F1 Championship Season 2000 off ebay for peanuts, but it won't work on my vista laptop because of a 'Video Configuration Error'

Does anyone know if it can be cured and how?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

TenTenths

I just recently purchased rfactor and I noticed that I do not have all the cars and tracks. How do you get a Ferrari to drive on the Nordschleife, and where are all of the other grandprix tracks?

dumrick

TenTenths wrote:I just recently purchased rfactor and I noticed that I do not have all the cars and tracks. How do you get a Ferrari to drive on the Nordschleife, and where are all of the other grandprix tracks?
rFactor is a moddable sim, made for the modding community. Therefore, you must chose the mods you're most interested in. The place to start is http://www.rfactorcentral.com, where they are organized and available for download.

Since the mods are made by non-profit modding teams, take some attention, because there are mods with all different levels of quality, from very bad to others that, in my opinion, are far better than commercial sims, the benefit of having highly talented people working with passion, without time constraints and profit goals. You better check the ratings and comments for each mod, as well as taking a peek at the Mod Of The Year award winners. Now, just have fun driving!

Ciro Pabón

Tom wrote:I just got F1 Championship Season 2000 off ebay for peanuts, but it won't work on my vista laptop because of a 'Video Configuration Error'

Does anyone know if it can be cured and how?
Sometimes it can. Just look around, Tom, google for the specific error. Copy and paste on Google the text of the error you're receiving. Put the text of your error between quotes, so Google will find the exact error message.

Sometimes you have to update your graphic card drivers.

By chance (that's why I'm posting) I had today a video configuration problem installing an old game (Age of Mithology). For ten minutes I thought it was impossible to fix.

Then I googled for the error and the first 5 or 10 sites I found said I had to buy a new card or just gave general and not useful advice. Then, on the 11th (or so) site I discovered that all I had to do was to edit the standard graphic card file, following the instructions given there. It has worked like charm the whole day.

About your problem, following my own instructions, all I found was this: http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/bb/?a=reply&t=12639&d=0

It seems to be a relatively old game. If you were using XP, you could try to right-clic on the program, or on the access to the program, then click on the tab "Compatibility" and finally click on "Compatibility mode" to simulate Windows 2000 or Windows 98. This works with some old games (I mean, games written before XP appeared). I imagine Vista MUST have a similar compatibility tab when you right clic on the program or in its link.
Ciro

Carlos

This may help Tom: 3 methods for running older programs.
1)Compatability Tab ( As Ciro Recommended)
2)Program Compatability Assistant
3)Program Compatability Wizard

http://www.sandiegobizmart.com/software/VISTA_USERS.htm

If things still aren't right ... you may have a driver problem ... no I'm not referring to play on F1 2000 :wink:
Microsoft has almost every conceivable driver on their site.

This solves a problem for me, I got a Pablo graphics tablet over a year ago on eBay for maybe $30USD that was written for Windows 98, I have XP. Couldn't find an XP version. I didn't know there was a compatability feature. Thanks Ciro.

I wonder if there's a emulator in XP so I can run old Atari ST programs? :wink:

EDIT - I found a company that offers freeware emulation programs - cross platform, PC/ Mac and an emulator for the Atari ST for either platform. The philosophy is that all software should work on both PC's and Apple computers, updated to 2007 chip technology and operating systems. I mean right up to Vista, Mac OS 8.1 working towards 64bits and Mac Leopard. I would need a hand with this if anyone is interested. The company is non-profit like Blender and Serif.

EDIT - Here is the Emulator site. Send me your impressions, opinions and if you should install any of thes emulators
http://www.emulators.com/index.htm
Last edited by Carlos on 15 Nov 2007, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

TenTenths

Thanks for the info dumrick - it was very helpful

freedom_honda

what about Live For Speed? :roll:

Carlos

freedom_honda. Your post is so brief what does 'What about Live for Five' mean? My mind is so, so literal and I can't understand the question.

OT - The crossplatform Freeware PC>Mac/Mac>PC Freeware Emulators link is: http://www.emulators.com/index.htm If you have any opinions on these emulators perhaps you will post them on this thread. Cheers

Chubbs

Carlos wrote:freedom_honda. Your post is so brief what does 'What about Live for Five' mean? My mind is so, so literal and I can't understand the question.

OT - The crossplatform Freeware PC>Mac/Mac>PC Freeware Emulators link is: http://www.emulators.com/index.htm If you have any opinions on these emulators perhaps you will post them on this thread. Cheers
Live for speed in a racing simulator...

http://www.liveforspeed.com/

its a great game with an awesome online multiplayer community... im Ossie87 and mainly race the FOX at AS Club....