Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
humble sabot

Re: Nose cone idea

I'd love to present my proposed solution but am an a bit of a tight spot at the moment as it comes to compound curves represented over the internet. I'll try and do something about that soon.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Conceptual
Conceptual

humble sabot wrote:
Conceptual wrote:Anyways,

Manchild, I was looking at your picture and thinking about what you are trying to do, and a VERY out-of-the-box idea came to me... I am working on the CAD drawing now, and when it is done, I'll post it here for one of the local CFD guys to run through.

Well, the jist of it is that while the slot through the nose is cool, I think you may have opened the door for something else.

Follow me on this, its hard to explain in type:

First: take a normal nose, and cut it horizontal to the ref plane about 60% of the length, then curve towards the top adding a nice downforce generating surface. Then slice the removed part longways....Then flip those two pieces outward 180 degrees and attach to the side of the already cut nose.

Second: Take BMW's new wings (the ones near the antennas), spin them around to sweep forward, and mount them right on the very front of the nose with the bent up tips protruding forward of the nosecone. The flat part of this wing would be made of the now flat nose, and extend side to side on the attached pieces.

Third: Now attach a bridge wing from endplate to endplate with midpoint connections to the swept forward nosewing flip-ups.

Fourth: Now include your pressure relief slot in the nose right AFTER the cutout made above and cut slots through into the TOP of your slot, because the diffusor effect as the lowered/flattened nose passes over/through (Gotta see my dwg to understand this) will actually EXTRACT the air up from below and just draw it away like a chimney.
How's this idea coming along? I really am lost in your description. i have a feeling it is similar to my interpretation of the 'wing siphon' to coin a phrase.
It comes down to a platypus nose with the tips on the sides of the bill flipped up and forward with the bridge wing arching over them, and attached. The nose bill would be scalloped in my version as well.

Chris

humble sabot

Nope, that's pretty different from my idea. interesting though, and possibly closer in flow pattern to the Amon Af-101 that manchild posted.

The real effect of manchild's latest idea it seems to me is the same as a jet engine where you don't introduce any fuel, because really it's a squashed tube with a section of higher velocity inside the tube and an expansion on one end and a cone on the other. net effect, best case scenario if you tune it right: no added drag.

The main idea of the thread, and the rumoured reasoning for fezza's theoretical adoption thereof seems to me quite sound. But like the man said, effing hard to get right, because you have to keep in mind that there's a whole bunch of width to the wing, there's sometimes a bit of yaw, and you also have to remember that you have to feed the undertray enough air to do its job properly. I think if too much air is sent over the top of the car, then the heat exchanger intakes will need some fettling as well. tey will no longer be in the right place. if you notice the delta shaped tunnel through the 'keel' and rear wards a lot of the cooling air is coming from the underside of the wing. One will also notice that the chord on the front wing in many cases is very much smaller down the middle, probably to keep the flow half decently straight through the undernose. I suppose we want more air under the front wing these days.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Conceptual
Conceptual

humble sabot wrote:Nope, that's pretty different from my idea. interesting though, and possibly closer in flow pattern to the Amon Af-101 that manchild posted.

The real effect of manchild's latest idea it seems to me is the same as a jet engine where you don't introduce any fuel, because really it's a squashed tube with a section of higher velocity inside the tube and an expansion on one end and a cone on the other. net effect, best case scenario if you tune it right: no added drag.

The main idea of the thread, and the rumoured reasoning for fezza's theoretical adoption thereof seems to me quite sound. But like the man said, effing hard to get right, because you have to keep in mind that there's a whole bunch of width to the wing, there's sometimes a bit of yaw, and you also have to remember that you have to feed the undertray enough air to do its job properly. I think if too much air is sent over the top of the car, then the heat exchanger intakes will need some fettling as well. tey will no longer be in the right place. if you notice the delta shaped tunnel through the 'keel' and rear wards a lot of the cooling air is coming from the underside of the wing. One will also notice that the chord on the front wing in many cases is very much smaller down the middle, probably to keep the flow half decently straight through the undernose. I suppose we want more air under the front wing these days.
My thought on the platypus shape is that it would still have Manchild's idea of the "tunnel" that would also have the slot from the underside of the nose, thus creating a channel of high flowing air blowing across the slit from below, drawing air up and out, thus lowering the pressure on the underside of the nose.

Or, I can be absolutely and completely wrong, and I will never get a job in F1...lol

Chris

humble sabot

Ok, i'm working on my idea, but in studying it it's proving very difficult to get a good result out of the wash off of the centre of the front wing. Because you have to keep in mind that you don't want to starve the underbody, you don't want to make a mess of the overnose, and you also have the suspension arms to contend with. and you don't want to starve the coolers either. Myabe my nose modifiaction is too big,,,,, hmmm. i could at least give you an update if i had a scanner about these days.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

tahadar
tahadar

heres a report from f1-live saying the ferrari rumours have not died just yet...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0053.shtml

wesley123
wesley123

tahadar wrote:heres a report from f1-live saying the ferrari rumours have not died just yet...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0053.shtml
That also stands on this site....
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

modbaraban
modbaraban

The new nosecone debut is postponed to Spanish GP.

f1-live.com

PS: I'm really surprised that nobody actually caught them on camera testing it.

jumaal
jumaal

I don't know if anybody has noticed it yet but looks like Manchild has left this forum. His user profile says he's inactive. Not sure if that is permanent.

Anyways, I did enjoy many (and not all) of his posts. I'll miss him here.
Thanks,

Jumaal

modbaraban
modbaraban

jumaal wrote:Anyways, I did enjoy many (and not all) of his posts. I'll miss him here.
I'm sure most members would fully agree.

Giblet
Giblet

He got all pissy b4 about F1, and left in a big tirade. Then he came back.

We want him here.

We like him.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Conceptual
Conceptual

Im sure it is about the china-tibet debacle.

zac510
zac510

Better without him. Happy to have finally seen him left for good.
No good turn goes unpunished.

f1italia

Re:

allan wrote:i agree with tom on this idea...
I thought some supercars used this design too, such as the F50 and the Paganni, am i right?
I am sure the teams have thought of this it would very interesting to see this design in Formula 1. You are correct Ferrari and Pagani have used a similar design. The F50 also uses fans to increase the downforce.

tahadar
tahadar

=D>