Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Kasakolt

Re: Nose cone idea

OMG its true! :shock: :shock: :shock:

antrock

Ferrari had put the air pressure measuring device directly infront of the airbox - i presume it was to measure the effect of the holy nose on it during different speeds?

rjsa

Note the hollow part is ahead of the front axle line (and the nose cone split line), so it's out of the main tube, that has to survive the crash test.

Astro1

I don't quite yet understand the need for the splitter...(maybe a brace), but what's realy incredible, is that Autosprint, had printed the news of the nose on Jan 2!!! Just incredible inside information or the nose has been in development for quite some time, as Ferrari's radical solution.

Astro1

Some high res shots, I uploaded to sendspace...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ka9zm

Carlos

Manchild is a visionary. :D

Astro1

or works for Ferrari...LOL....

Astro1

From Autosport.com

Ferrari show off radical new nose cone

After much speculation, Ferrari's radical new nose cone was finally unveiled today during testing at the Barcelona circuit.

As Felipe Massa tested the F2008 on Bridgestone's slick tyres, the car was fitted with a slotted nose cone.

This 'hole in the nose' is aimed at making use of the high-pressure air that builds up between the front wing and the underside of the nose.

This would improve the car's downforce by sending a better airflow to the rear wing.

What Ferrari have done is to create a channel inside the nose cone that takes this high-pressure region and vents it over the top of the chassis.

From overhead shots the hole's outlet can be seen, with one large exit split into two. This probably helps the exit flow merge with the flow already passing over the car.

Ferrari were testing an array of pitot tubes in front of the engine's inlet snorkel. These sensors would have picked up the differing air speed going into and over the airbox.

This set-up would give Ferrari a comparative reading for the new nose's effect.

If the test goes well, Ferrari are expected to give the new nose its race debut in Spain in two weeks' time.

Massa finished the day over 2.5 seconds ahead of his closest rival.

modbaraban

rjsa

Manchild's first drawing is 90% spot on. Will be 100% when that splitting plane vanishes, what I suspect will happen the first time it runs.

rkn

Nice!

It sucks for Manchild that it was Ferrari that finally ripped him off :lol:

Otherwise great job by Felipe today almost three seconds in front of everybody. He definitely has a great speed, even without TC. Cant wait to see what Michael can do though.

jjmiri

rjsa wrote:Manchild's first drawing is 90% spot on. Will be 100% when that splitting plane vanishes, what I suspect will happen the first time it runs.
i bow down to you Manchild!!! =D> =D> =D>

(where is that bowing smiley??? lol)

ben_watkins

Where are you Manchild? We need you so we can pay homage to your idea Ferrari nicked and your incisive wit to punish Max's bad sex life.. :lol:

=D> =D> =D>
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners