Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bazanaius

Re: Nose cone idea

goo photos modabaran - first one clearly shows it is straight through - no diffusers, wings etc. in the tube.

B

Iciano

Since Ferrari seem to be putting a lot of effort into the new nose, I wonder will it still be legal in '09 when the new regs come in. Any thoughts?

Carlos

Kibitzing with Manchild he mentioned Andy Warhol's quote - "In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes." :D He got a laugh that he used a home PC and Ferrari used a supercomputer :D And gave me a link to the Renault Team Blog where F1Technical gets a nod of recognition :D http://my.ing-renaultf1.com/en/blog/201 ... April.html :D Quite a guy that Manchild :D

GTO

He's probably visiting the Ferrari factory negotiating his contract to work as Technical Design Consultant/PR Advisor. :lol:
MC posted his nose cone sketch on 2007-8-25 & 8 months later Ferrari debuts new nose cone on test car on 2008-4-14. Hmmmmm, very interesting.

If this nose cone design significantly improves front wing efficiency, it could tip the scale towards Ferrari's clear advantage for the rest of the season. The next race in Spain will reveal any further Ferrari advantage in lap times or if McLaren or BMW can counter with their own improvements.

Also, if this nose cone does work, I wonder if other teams will revert to a wider nose cone like Ferrari to utilize this design into theirs?

ESPImperium

Could the air that gets redirected to the rear wing also increase the horsepower in the engine with a larger volume of air going into the airbox???

Just a thought i have in my head about this design.

Jersey Tom

Well I'll be damned.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

jumaal

Now that Ferrari have demostrated the concept for real, maybe Renault can incorporate this concept into their nose.

Looking at Renault's nose here:

I think they would be able to fully exploit this idea. Remember that Manchild photographically proposed this concept on Renault nose.

I am not a expert at aerodynamics but the way things look I think Renault can have advantages with this concept. This season most of the teams have thinner noses except 1 or 2 teams.
Thanks,

Jumaal

crbassassin

Kasakolt wrote:OMG its true! :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock:

zac510

If there is one thing for sure in F1 is that you can't take stuff like this at its face value. The objects on the car almost always have a far deeper influence on the vehicle's behaviour than can be guessed by punters from the outside.

In another sense the pictures are useless until you can see the hole from the bottom.
No good turn goes unpunished.

Carlos

Giblet

I suspect that he is contacting a lawyer right now to get some Lira. :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Rob W

ben_watkins wrote:Where are you Manchild? We need you so we can pay homage to your idea Ferrari nicked and your incisive wit to punish Max's bad sex life..
I agree. This is a pretty darn near identical implementation to that in his drawings. I think his one looked better though.

I would really love to know how often any of the F1 teams visit this site. (an IP addy track would be a simple tast)

R

mike

Who would have thought that Ferrari will steal ideas from our forum mayb we should sue them for 100mil and run our own race team lol :P

MrT
MrT

I saw Manchilds idea a while back and thought it was a feasible idea to use a section of the nose as a kind of internal wing - in fact this idea has been implemented for years in sports cars etc.

However I belive ferrari arn't actually using the same concept. I'm not so sure they are trying to create the downforce in the actual nose as per manchilds concept. I think the aim of the slot is to eliviate the positive pressure acting on the lower surface of the tub (which would be producing lift) and relive the stagnation pressure in this area (which produces drag) which results from the close proximaty of the wing element to the lower surface of the tub. This slot I belive is more to aid the operation of the current wing than as an extra downfoce 'element'. I could be wrong but thats my initial thoughts from the very unenlightening photos.

axle

lol Oh please, calm yourselves down (talk of Ferrari copying F1T) :) . Ferrari's development of the nose isn't a NEW concept, the FW26 was the first to try it, in anger, in a rather radical form....and I expect if you were a Ferrari CFD/Aero guy looking at the pressure data you'd be thinking about how to release the build up under the nose. Manchild didn't re-invent the wheel here, but he did do some good logical thinking =D> . Ferrari tried to make a whole in the nose work long ago, now they are obviously more confident about it.
- Axle