Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
callmekart

Re: Nose cone idea

In F1 cars with this nose cone idea.. will it cause any problems in terms of driver visibility in the case of mild showers?

axle

callmekart wrote:In F1 cars with this nose cone idea.. will it cause any problems in terms of driver visibility in the case of mild showers?
They shouldn't really get any spray issues...infact it looks to me like it could be benefitial, and clearup the air that hits the driver.
- Axle

modbaraban

Anyone noticed the lack of the nosecone hole?

The inlet must be somewhere inside the tunnel or somewhere around the tunnel entrance under the nose? What do you think?

wesley123

I think it is in the tunnel as on the top of the nose you see 2 holes, the back one got a hole somewhere in it so air can flow to the brake cooling and it goes out from the top
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Astro1

Definatly not for brake cooling. This is not an F50 ar and NSK...the F2008 has specific brake ducts and vents for that. If anything it's to cool the drivers feet which both Ferrari drivers mentioned get a bit warm. I tend to think though that the drivers feet are the least of Ferrari's concerns and if any cooling is approtioned in the design it goes to cool the driver+electronics.

I think that it's hardly a cooling design though as there are a lot more elegant and less costly ways to cool something and if anything cooling is an afterthough of the design and not it principal purpose which I believe to be front end downforce.

Bob Brown

at this image, you can sort of see the aero line on teh side of the front nose, its probable that the entrance hole is directly below it.

the front half of the nose seems a bit larger also due to this.

meves

Sorry if this has been covered but for the teams with the narrower noses, would it be better to vent into the radiator area. If the system is not directly going to generate downforce.

Metar

Bob Brown wrote:at this image, you can sort of see the aero line on teh side of the front nose, its probable that the entrance hole is directly below it.

the front half of the nose seems a bit larger also due to this.
That line also "flows" with the curve created by the front wing, so it makes sense.

GTO

Perhaps someone at Ferrari leaked the nose cone idea to MC?
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5411.shtml

Astro1

@GTO...have you seen when this thread was started? All those articles are BS, if Ferrari realy though that a significant leak was there, don't you think that news of them starting the investigation will have surfaced on Jan 2nd, when Autosprint reported on the nose before the launch? Why now all of a sudden? It's not as if Ferrari all of a sudden discovered that yes that nose will infact make it to the car like the rest of us.

modbaraban

GTO wrote:Perhaps someone at Ferrari leaked the nose cone idea to MC?
Manchild is Michael Schumacher :!:

Grow up (c) :wink:

jumaal

Apparently Ferrari is serious about the Ferrari nose 'leak'.

Read this story here, if it is to be believed:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15042008/ ... -leak.html
Thanks,

Jumaal

GTO

Astro1 wrote:@GTO...have you seen when this thread was started?
Yes.
Could this info. have been leaked prior to the start of this thread or do you think they designed & incorporated this small detail in 2 months?
Astro1 wrote: All those articles are BS, if Ferrari realy though that a significant leak was there, don't you think that news of them starting the investigation will have surfaced on Jan 2nd, when Autosprint reported on the nose before the launch? Why now all of a sudden?
Btw, the article indicated that Autosprint broke the story in Feb. not Jan. If you were Ferrari, would you publically confirm to its competitors in Feb. a confidential design that is in the process of being implemented for testing in April? Would it not be prudent to wait 'til this design is ready for public testing & then come fwd. with the concern. Any internal investigation could have started earlier whenever they wanted.

I'm just being open to the possibilities because I don't know.

Astro1

GTO wrote:
Astro1 wrote:@GTO...have you seen when this thread was started?
Yes.
Could this info. have been leaked prior to the start of this thread or do you think they designed & incorporated this small detail in 2 months?
Astro1 wrote: All those articles are BS, if Ferrari realy though that a significant leak was there, don't you think that news of them starting the investigation will have surfaced on Jan 2nd, when Autosprint reported on the nose before the launch? Why now all of a sudden?
Btw, the article indicated that Autosprint broke the story in Feb. not Jan. If you were Ferrari, would you publically confirm to its competitors in Feb. a confidential design that is in the process of being implemented for testing in April? Would it not be prudent to wait 'til this design is ready for public testing & then come fwd. with the concern. Any internal investigation could have started earlier whenever they wanted.

I'm just being open to the possibilities because I don't know.
Excuse the technicality, but Dominicaly was asked about the nose, by an Autosprint reporter on Jan 2nd. That is fact. It also means, that that reporter, had to have the information on the nose, at least minutes, but possibly days before asking the question of Ferrari possibly as early as late December!!!. At the point, that Ferrari unvailed their car, Jan 6th, reporters were asking questions about the nose of Ferrari. In January. Check the F2008 thread on autosport.com if you don't believe me. So the news is OLD!!! as old as December. Jan 2nd it hit the forums and on the 6th, it was in print.

Now if Ferrari were that concerned, they will have started their "investigation" then. Again, why wait till April? And what could Ferrari find out in 4 months that they couldn't find out in one?

My point is, that if there was an "investigation", it's long over.

modbaraban

Nice video explanation of the device... in Italian tho :(

http://mediacenter.gazzetta.it/MediaCen ... ale=Motori