Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Astro1

Re: Nose cone idea

Yes, but the CFD posted on page 2 was run on a design, the didn't fature a smooth transistion back to the nosecone. The air effectively hit a wall before exiting.

Can anybody here run a sim on the proposed "Ferrari" nosecone design posted by manchild featuring a smooth transition back to the cone?

shawness

tomislavp4 wrote:shawness, take a look at this http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p314 ... 8/Nose.jpg (it was posted on the 2nd page on the forum) it clearly shows the airflow :wink:
That doesn't really show the airflow though. What it shows is the paths taken by air passing over the tip of the nose and the tip of the wing. What is the rest of the air doing?

slimjim8201

I'll happily run some CFD for someone if they can provide me with a CAD model.

manchild

Thanks for the observations and suggestions guys.

Regarding what shawness wrote, I mean, don't look at that sketch as something even close to ideal shape-wise. It's just a sketch based on R26 nose which is much worse option for this idea than more horizontal nose such is on F2008. I'm certain that second element, the one closer to chassis can be shaped to be at least neutral if not to generate DF. Also, bare in mind influence of front wing and its up wash.

manchild

Once again I say, don't take the shapes and their positions/sizes as defined, if I had the way to experiment I'd sketch shape that shows best results.

Another question: What do you think about "overlapping" of those two elements? Could there be some benefit in it since they'd form a Venturi tube? If so, wouldn't the hole than speed up the air even more and naturally decrease pressure below front element?

shawness

manchild wrote:Once again I say, don't take the shapes and their positions/sizes as defined, if I had the way to experiment I'd sketch shape that shows best results.

Another question: What do you think about "overlapping" of those two elements? Could there be some benefit in it since they'd form a Venturi tube? If so, wouldn't the hole than speed up the air even more and naturally decrease pressure below front element?
My first post about this was actually relating what I'd been told when I asked an F1 designer about the concept - he did mention that it might be workable if you carried the rear of the upper wing element to the bottom of the tunnel - as depicted I think you'd leak air through the slot into the low pressure area behind the wing.

manchild

Couldn't they perhaps went it in all 4 directions? Pyramidal inner nose and perhaps naca duct-like shape of vents rather than rectangular as the ones on my drawing?

PNSD

Looks cool, but how would the naca ducts work because they're usually for intake arnt they...

dont they take air of the boundry layer?

manchild

PNSD wrote:Looks cool, but how would the naca ducts work because they're usually for intake arnt they...

dont they take air of the boundry layer?
Well, I thought about naca ducts positioned as usual when they are used for intake but instead of being opened at rear to be fully opened at front.

I mean, I don't know. I'm not an aerodynamicist :)

tomislavp4

What if you make the central part of the front wing longer and allmost one with the nosecone Image

PNSD

where would the air under from the underside of the wing go though... cant go straight into the bottom of the nose.

Belatti

why did MC used a Ferrari photo to illustrate his idea? :-k :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

manchild

Belatti wrote:why did MC used a Ferrari photo to illustrate his idea? :-k :lol:
Because the topic was revived by several posts that mentioned gossips about Ferrari testing it on F2008.

How come you didn't ask "why did Ferrari used MC's drawing to experiment with this idea"? :lol:

modbaraban

manchild wrote:Because the topic was revived by several posts that mentioned gossips about Ferrari testing it on F2008.
I remember talks about tesing it within a few days or sumfin... any news on this?

I don't quite understad the benefits of cuts in the sides:
Any comments?

manchild

modbaraban wrote:I don't quite understad the benefits of cuts in the sides:
Any comments?
Well, I thought that adding side vents would completely prevent possible problems shoen under 2 and 3

It would reduce weight, probably prevent understeer/oversteer due to strong crosswind and perhaps improve aero efficiency.