Ferrari F92A twin-floor

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
donskar

Re: Ferrari F92A twin-floor

richard_leeds wrote:Fascinating thread, thanks for resurrecting it. The pic below is amazing.

from - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/180/ ... F92-A.html

A failure, but at least it showed some original thinking. With today's restrictive rules, we may never again see such a departure from the norm.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo

Guys, maybe somebody has a bigger picture?
I know I have had, but it seems it's lost=(
The race is obviously Monaco'92 and the driver is Alesi.
You can see how high the left front is raised...

Blackout

Blackout wrote:Have someone these two photos or similar ones ?

And do you think a modern F1 car with this kind of sidepods is feasible nowadays ?
I think yes. The Kers would be harder to package though...
Toro rosso did it 8)

marcush.

I think Giorgio Ascanelli was still race engineer or head of vehicle dynamics at Ferrari during that time...
What a cool revival of an idea ..Does Migeot hold a patent for the twin floor? Or is this a hint at which company is consulting Toro Rosso ?

The F92 was really one of the all time favorites to me what a pitty it was a flawed design and suceeded only in finishing poor Ivan Capellis F1 career.

donskar

marcush. wrote:I think Giorgio Ascanelli was still race engineer or head of vehicle dynamics at Ferrari during that time...
What a cool revival of an idea ..Does Migeot hold a patent for the twin floor? Or is this a hint at which company is consulting Toro Rosso ?

The F92 was really one of the all time favorites to me what a pitty it was a flawed design and suceeded only in finishing poor Ivan Capellis F1 career.
Are you sure? I did not know Ascanelli has ever worked at Ferrari. Did he also work for Alfa on their touring sedan program?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso

Ascanelli was a race engineer for Ferrari in the late 80's [and possibly early 90's].

Google is your friend, use it! :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

marcush.

Ascanelli was Gerhard Bergers Race engineer during his first period at Ferari 1988-1990,100% sure of that.
I checked wikipedia and found out that Ascanelli followed Barnard to Bennetton after 1990 and worked as race engineer to Nelson piquet.From there he went to Mclaren in 1992 engineering Ayrton Sennas car.In 1995 he returned to Ferrari as race engineer later on he was promoted to leader of the R&D and then went on to a role as TD in Maseratis GT programme.Since 2007 he is TD at TR.

So -no he was not involved in the running of the FA92..

google is my friend ,no question about that.

PlatinumZealot

After looking at this floor I think it has either one of two purposes.

1) To increase pressure on the floor. This only works under one condition and you have to introduce some tricks...

2) To create a nozzle to jet air towards the exhaust openings.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏